swag ho Administrator

MBO - Mountain Bike Oregon July and August

Who is going? Who is thinking about it? Who's done it in the past.

A Three-Day Mountain Biker's Dream Vacation! | Mountain Bike Oregon

July 1921, 2013
    August 1618, 2013

We've done it for a few years and many others in this board have too. We updated our classic article about it and added a few videos.

Video: Mountain Bike Oregon Vacation Trip Report | Mountain Bike Review

MBO is a great partner of Mtbr. Support them and help these great multi-day events thrive.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MBO - Mountain Bike Oregon July and August-img_1921.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm going, second year as a guide. Look for the orange and blue rigid 2x10!

mtbr member
    Whoa, I'm famous! I was part of the Chico Crew in that video, and it was a GREAT time. Seems a little steep when you pay the $400, but it is actually a great deal. Three days of double shuttle days at the very least, plus all the food you can eat, and all the beer you can drink...included! And if that isn't enough you have Intense, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Pivot, Trek, and others bringing some really sick bikes for you to demo on excellent trails.

The ride guides are really good, and there are enough riders in each group of each skill level to make anyone feel comfortable and/or challenged. They have a fast group, average group, and slow group with a guide up front and a sweeper for each group so nobody gets lost or left behind. The fast guys are FAST, definitely enough for some friendly competition, or you can go as a complete beginner. The trails are mostly non-technical, smooth, and flowy with a few sections that might challenge an intermediate rider. For the advanced riders, what makes it challenging is the sheer speed you get on some of these runs. Think Downieville Third Divide or Ashland Super D; not rocky, no big jumps, but plenty of fun at 35mph!

Sadly, I've got other trips and events planned for this summer, so I'll be skipping MBO. But I'll definitely be back!
    "Got everything you need?"

Obviously Single
    Fc: I'll be there, for my 10th MBO! I can't believe I've been going this long and have not sat down and had a beer with you, though I'm pretty sure I've been on rides with you.

See you there both July and August?
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    or you can go as a complete beginner
    Just to be clear for those that have never been to MBO or have never ridden in Oakridge, MBO is not really a 'beginner' event. It's easy for a beginner to get in over there head on the trails and have to bail. There are a couple of great trails close to camp that a beginner can tackle, however, but they are not three days worth of riding. Intermediate and up level riders will have an effin blast!

Reading between the lines: guys, don't bring your girl along who is a total begineer and toss her out on the trail with a group of stangers. She might not be to happy. ;-)
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    I totally disagree, but I think our definition of beginner is different!

I would definitely NOT bring someone that has never ridden mountain bikes on trails to MBO, unless they were experienced on other off-road bikes. But for people who have ridden on dirt recreationally, MBO is not a stretch if you keep the speeds down. Just check out the video, it's almost all smooth trail, long sight lines, and predominantly downhill. The trails that are challenging are labeled as such when you go to sign up for your shuttles.

I saw a lot of beginners, and even guys from Chico there who I know don't ride much, and not at all on the more advanced trails in Bidwell Park. They came and demo'd bikes and had a TON of fun! No reason not to bring a beginner, but it would be nice to stay with them and show them the ropes.
    "Got everything you need?"

swag ho Administrator
    Is there any good beer in Oregon? I heard the torch was passed to Norcal. Bam!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MBO - Mountain Bike Oregon July and August-p8280093.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It means a lot.
    There should be another new beginner trail ready for MBO this year.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    MBO is a party in the woods with mountain bikes and beer.
    Yep, it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Is there any good beer in Oregon? I heard the torch was passed to Norcal. Bam!
    Just don't forget where your hops come from. : )

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looking for a ride to MBO in July leaving either Thursday evening or Friday AM. Round trip could be great. Hoping someone has an extra seat and rack space. Meeting some friends coming up from CA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Is there any good beer in Oregon? I heard the torch was passed to Norcal.
    As if!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Plenty of good beer here, but please feel free to drop a couple of Pliny's by my tent any time! Haven't been to MBO for the last two years, but coming down for my third one in July..Can't wait, hope my lungs and legs hold up!

Winning
    Jul 2013
    Who's going to MBO in August?
    I'm super pumped to ride a ton this time around, and to meet lots of new people!
    Thanks to Randy and Ayleen for being amazing hosts, and to all the guides who make the event so awesome for everyone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looks like we ( my wife JoJo and I) will be there, looking forward to it.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by CrossFix View Post
    I'm super pumped to ride a ton this time around, and to meet lots of new people!
    Thanks to Randy and Ayleen for being amazing hosts, and to all the guides who make the event so awesome for everyone!

Tree Hugger
    Imma be there.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Imma be there.
    It will be good to see you there!
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single
    I will be there sans better half this time, so watch out Beer Garden!
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    12 more days, I can't wait! July was a blast and August will be even funner. I believe there are still some spots open for August, if you are on the fence jump off and sign up it is a blast! I will see ya all on the trails or in the beer garden.