mtbr member

The Mazamas and the Timberline bike park.

I have to say, I have never been a huge fan of this organization. This may just seal it for me.

I received this from them today...

Dear Members and friends -

Mazamas Executive Council will be making a signifigant and difficult decison on Tuesday March 12th, 2013 surrounding the proposed mountain bike park development at Timberline Lodge, which is scheduled to start construction in the summer of 2013.

Friends of Mt. Hood with support from the CRAG law center have asked the Mazamas to be involved both in name and with administrative and financial support in a forthcoming lawsuit and injunction against the USFS and Timberline/RLK Mgmt. to stop the building of these mountain bike trails.

Executive Council will be deciding if we should participate in this lawsuit and injunction next Tuesday at 7PM and wants and needs YOUR input on the decision. There are a multitude of issues to consider, as well as signifigant potential costs and benefits on both sides of the decision.

Mazamas has previously opposed the project at the recommendation of Mazamas Conservation Committee because the Executive Council agreed that it was very important that the USFS carefully evaluate the potential enviromental impacts of the project. The USFS performed an Environmental Analysis and issued a 'Finding of no signifigant impact' decision http://goo.gl/wHqcq on 11/19/13. Mazamas then signed onto an administrative appeal of this decision to the Regional USFS office. On 2/28/13 the Regional USFS office affirmed the decision by Mt. Hood National forest to allow the project to proceed, along with a variety of mitigation and monitoring efforts.

Here is the USFS page with several linked documents on the project:

Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument - Home

Here is the Timberline Lodge website describing the development:

Mountain Biking | Timberline Lodge Timberline Lodge

Here is the Friends of Mt. Hood page describing their position on this development:

Timberline Mountain Bike Park Proposal

Meeting Details

The meeting will be held on March 12th, 2013 at the Mazama Mountaineering Center at 527 SE 43rd Ave. in Portland and discussion around this item will begin at 7PM. All members and the general public are welcome to attend. Anyone who wishes to present or speak to Executive Council on the matter will be alloted 2-3 minutes. Please contact Lee Davis our Executive Director at lee@mazamas.org in advance and/or arrive as early as possible if you wish to speak and no later than 6:20PM so that we can get you on the list. We intend to fairly divide the presentation time between differing viewpoints. We are encouraging input and expect high attendance. Presentations will end at 8PM, Executive Council will discuss and debate as they see fit until 8:20PM and the decision will be made at 8:25PM.

Thank you,

Doug Couch

President
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Having recently moved here I was seriously considering joining Mazamas. However their role in this opposition has motivated me to NOT join (I've been following the "debate" for a while), with this letter being a fine example of the "why".

"...the Executive Council agreed that it was very important that the USFS carefully evaluate the potential enviromental impacts of the project. The USFS performed an Environmental Analysis and issued a 'Finding of no signifigant impact' decision."

In they're saying that they wanted USFS look at the potential impacts, and when the USFS and Timberline did and DIDN'T get an answer that suited the agenda of Mazamas/BARK, they still protested.

I can only hope that rational, intelligent thought prevail, but knowing the dynamics when organizations like this engage in groupthink I have low expectations.

mtbr member
    Lord. I'm also a hiker and don't see how making biking trails in the ski area in any way affects their experience. The good hiking is on the north side anyhow.

I'm a hiker, hunter, mountain biker, and Jeep offroader. It's amazing to me the disconnect and hatred between user groups.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    100% agreed. These groups waste time and money fighting against us, who should be their natural allies against the big enemies (unregulated logging, mountaintop removal mining, etc).

Also, has anybody EVER heard of a mountain bike group protesting anything hikers wanted to do (besides closing areas to us)?

LT-5
    Oct 2005
    House, thanks for ringing the bell on this one. Thrasher_s is 100% right about the futility of these petty squabbles. We need to all focus on the bigger issues out there - then go ride our bikes!

Singletrack Addict
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Never joined, but got to the summit of 'Hood led by a Mazama.
    Too bad their not enlightened on the benefits of solidarity when it comes to who are the real villains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We need to cease any smiling when we are mountain biking. Hikers and esquestrians view are pleasure as some sort of obscene intoxication. "They" sure don't EVER appear to be having a good time. This entire issue is bewildering. Isn't Mazama a word taken from another culture that "they" have zero respect for as well? I most certainly could be incorrect on this point.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone else planning on attending this meeting? I'm curious what they have to say.

it means 'no problem'
    One potential argument if any of you could attend the meeting would be to point out the utter waste of time and money this "fight" will (and already has) required. Don't even bother with the issue of mountain bikers, simply argue that the Mazamas will lose members, waste money and destroy any hopes of working with the mountain bike community in the future in case they ever had a more important issues (mining, logging, development... as thrasher_s stated). We would most likely be a good ally in those cases.

Another point could be that the park will actually REDUCE hiker/equestrian conflicts with mountain bikers by virtue of the fact that mountain bike use will likely become more concentrated in the Timberline Park area instead of proliferating elsewhere on the forest.

This is pure and simple a social issue disguised as "environmental impact" - hence the USFS finding of "no significant impact".
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The Mazamas lost my support along time ago when they showed how self serving they were.

I used to rock climb a lot and would occasionally take out newbies to introduce them to the sport. I had two separate conflicts with Mazamas groups blocking off large blocks of beginner routes at Smith Rock and not allowing others to use them. They would top rope many routes and then only use one or two. When asked about it, I got the response that the routes were reserved for the Mazamas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I grew up climbing in Oregon and the Mazamas were always made fun of, but as I recall that are a group of mostly older Hikers who are very anti MT Biking. Kind of like the Sierra Club in the Bay area of CA.
    Tahoe29er

the Dude memorial aviator
    Any word on what they decided? I don't see anything on their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
    Any word on what they decided? I don't see anything on their website.
    At the end of the UPDATED article on BikePortland:
    "UPDATE, 3/14: Mazamas has voted against joining the lawsuit. A commenter below was at the meeting and has shared a recap."

(BikePortland.org » Blog Archive » Appeals denied, groups now want injunction to stop Timberline MTB Park - UPDATED)

It appears we have nothing to worry about from the Mazamas!

it means 'no problem'
    Now we can kindly ask other groups in the Injunction group to also drop out, citing the Mazama's latest decision.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Excellent.