Thread: Maston map

Nat
    mtbr member

Maston map

Anyone have one? The rudimentary sketch on the COTA site was just enough to get me out there today. I had to resort to some ancient native American tracking skills to get back to the car.

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I had to resort to some ancient native American tracking skills to get back to the car.
    NAT with ear to the ground: "Deer come."

you know the punch line......

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco

Caz
    I'm just glad that when I had my ear to the ground and my butt up in the air, no bikers came by and thought I was a bike rack...

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco

Caz
    "... ear sticky"?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    "... ear sticky"?

--Sparty
    A biker rides up the road and sees a native American man with his ear to the ground...

"Hi. What are you doing?"

"Came through here 15 minutes ago, woman, 35 years-old, two kids aged 6 and 3, driving Buick, traveling fast, 45mph..."

"Wow, you can tell all that by listening to the ground?"

"No. She ran me over."

mtbr member
    He ha, he ha.......

Toby Wong?
    i'm here to give Nat the emotional support he needs after his harrowing experience at Maston yesterday.

In fact, I'm punching pink unicorns in the kidneys so they cry emo tears into a giant bucket!

I would say that my knuckles are bruised but their hair is so soft and beautiful....now I'm going to cry!

lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

mtbr member
    Anyone have one? The rudimentary sketch on the COTA site was just enough to get me out there today. I had to resort to some ancient native American tracking skills to get back to the car.
    I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, me & a friend rode there for the first time (haven't been back yet) for an after work, hour or so ride, turned into a 2+ hour ride ending in the dark. Time to get a Garmin GPS

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    i'm here to give Nat the emotional support he needs after his harrowing experience at Maston yesterday.

In fact, I'm punching pink unicorns in the kidneys so they cry emo tears into a giant bucket!

I would say that my knuckles are bruised but their hair is so soft and beautiful....now I'm going to cry!

Ha! It's so good to have homies for emotional support.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, me & a friend rode there for the first time (haven't been back yet) for an after work, hour or so ride, turned into a 2+ hour ride ending in the dark. Time to get a Garmin GPS
    I was mentally trying to keep track of turns (left turn at stump...right turn at 4-way...left at jeep road...) but after about a half dozen of those it was all gone. There aren't too many unique natural landmarks. Remember that juniper! Oh, there's some dirt! Hey, check out that other juniper! At least I could keep track of the powerline (for awhile) and which direction was west.

mtbr member
    I was mentally trying to keep track of turns (left turn at stump...right turn at 4-way...left at jeep road...) but after about a half dozen of those it was all gone. There aren't too many unique natural landmarks. Remember that juniper! Oh, there's some dirt! Hey, check out that other juniper! At least I could keep track of the powerline (for awhile) and which direction was west.
    We knew we were finally getting close when we started seeing old stoves, spare tires & other assorted redneck memorabilia, but yeah, not many landmarks & LOTS of forks / turns, lost track after a while as well! I still want to go back & head towards the river, heard it is pretty cool over in that area??

Gittyup!
    I brought my GPS w/ me a few times out there. It came in quite handy! The first time I did an outside loop and marked a waypoint at every intersection (and there were lots!). This won't give the waypoints, but maybe something to help orient yourself:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5132895

And here's the "inside" loop:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5188414

Once you get those 2 down, it really gets a lot easier to orient yourself out there. While these won't give you details on the intersections, it should help. Also, I like starting at the red cinder road better than the stated spot COTA mentions. It's down the road another mile or so. Just look for the paved road going up Cline Butte on your left, and it's the immediate right after that. Seems as though it's easier to navigate overall from there.

Fun spot, eh? Great for the cross bike!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the data, Scott.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    I brought my GPS w/ me a few times out there. It came in quite handy! The first time I did an outside loop and marked a waypoint at every intersection (and there were lots!). This won't give the waypoints, but maybe something to help orient yourself:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5132895

And here's the "inside" loop:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5188414

Once you get those 2 down, it really gets a lot easier to orient yourself out there. While these won't give you details on the intersections, it should help. Also, I like starting at the red cinder road better than the stated spot COTA mentions. It's down the road another mile or so. Just look for the paved road going up Cline Butte on your left, and it's the immediate right after that. Seems as though it's easier to navigate overall from there.

Fun spot, eh? Great for the cross bike!
    Yeah, this is the first place I ever tried uploading a course to a Garmin Edge (or Forerunner) GPS and then riding following along the course. I was amazed at how well it works. I uploaded a route that looked good from the motionbased site and rode it without much turning around. The GPS beeps when the rider gets a couple hundred feet off course after a turn. When that happened I just turned around and took the other turn, too cool! I hate stopping every few minutes and breaking out a map.
    2 wheels == True

Tree Hugger
    Here's a few photos from Maston.

I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Members who have read this thread: 0