Thread: Mary's Peak

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Mary's Peak

Does anyone know how the Mary's Peak trail conditions are?

mtbr member
    Well, it is closed to mountain biking until May 15th...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    [Well that is good information. Thank you. Well, it is closed to mountain biking until May 15th...[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you want to ride in the Mary's Peak area try looking up Blodgett. Starker Forest has land in this area with several miles of trails and with this dry weather we have been having are prime for riding.

Just check in with Starker in Philomath for your free permit and contact Team Dirt (Teamdirt.org) about getting together on the next ride there to learn the trails or look at the Mudslinger or TOE for trail maps.

Justin P.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was up at Mary's Peak yesterday (Friday May 17). It was my first time and I enjoyed it.

Started at the Woods Creek gate and road up the road to the East Rim trail. It was raining off and on so the trail snakes (i.e. roots) were slippery. On the East Rim trail I had to cross one easy log
    Mary's Peak-img_2202.jpg

and one tough one
    Mary's Peak-img_2206.jpg

The trail is really beautiful
    Mary's Peak-img_2200.jpg

At the top it was sunny but windy
    Mary's Peak-img_2208.jpg

Rode the North Ridge trail back done and I enjoyed it a lot. I'll be back to try it during drier weather fer sure.

There were some repairs done on the North Ridge trail that aren't too bike friendly.
    Mary's Peak-img_2213.jpg

Saw two people on the trail all day. Magical place and only 20 miles from home.
    Mary's Peak-img_2210.jpg

(Sorry about the rotated photos. I am not sure how that happened and I can't figure out how to get them to display properly)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sorry to see the stairs. I use to ride UP the North Ridge for training rides. I would start in Philomath, when I lived there, ride out the corvallis water shed, then up woods creek road, to North Rim trial, back down East Rim and out to Blodgett on the TOE course and back home. It was about a 60 mile loop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A friend of mine was out there Friday AM. He said he talked to a ranger out there who said the crews will be out to clear the trees on East Ridge and Tie in 2 weeks. Said that Tie trail had the most trees on it.

Was a bit disheartened to hear of the steps going in. Like you, I do ride up North Ridge a fair amount, and the steps are an unwelcome addition. The best part of climbin N.Ridge was trying to make it up and over the rooty sections.

The natural technical features and flow on North Ridge are what make that trail stand apart from anything else in the area.

My friend said that the steps are rideable, just not all that fun, but I can't even think of anyplace on that trail where steps were necessary for hikers to make it up. Not knowing exactly where they were put in, it makes we wonder what technical features were lost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got out to ride up and back down North Ridge last night, and as I feared, the new stairs went in on what I think was the most challenging (and fun) set of off-camber roots on the entire trail. At least it was my favorite spot on the trail.

They cut down 2 trees, hacked out a bunch of roots and filled the rest over with dirt (which they mined out of the uphill side of the trail), then added the oddly spaced log steps.

Yes, the steps are rideable on the downhill (not so much up without decent trials skills), but the spacing is less than ideal for 29er wheels, and I've heard they are worse for 26". I didn't try them hitting them at speed (was out there by myself), but they aren't particulalry fun going slow.

You can see the section in the video linked below (not mine) between 2:38 and 2:49.

After work Marys peak ride - YouTube

Every root and rock in that entire segment is competely gone and replaced by smooth dirt and the steps.

In the grand scheme of things, it's only one 50 foot segment of an incredible 4 mile long trail, but I don't like the precedent that it sets, and I fear that if we don't speak up, we may see more of this type of trail "improvement" in the future.

I would really like to know why this was done (doesn't appear to be any erosion or sloughing of the trail edge in that spot), and where we can send polite and constructive feedback (seriously).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here is the most direct contacts I could find without calling. A call would be best if one could identify/ask for the recreation manager for the central coast ranger district.

Public affairs, Siuslas NF
    jquarnstrom@fs.fed.us
    Central Coast Ranger District, Siuslaw National Forest
    District Ranger: Michele Jones
    Deputy District Ranger: Carl Bauer
    Waldport Office
    1130 Forestry Lane
    P.O. Box 400
    Waldport, Oregon 97394
    TEL: 541-563-8400

mtbr member
    Ran into a guy today who was sterilizing North Ridge - clearly removing a nice rock when I came up on him. Said he was "making the trail safe for hikers" and that 90% of trail problems are due to cyclists.
    Last edited by Santa Cruzing; 02-17-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: I was asked to remove contact information.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    A hater of a hater. Interesting

mtbr member
    Jaybo, how does my post suggest I hate Steve? I do not appreciate the sterilization of trails, for sure. I met Steve and he freely identified himself as I did to him. It would be great if another member of the mtb community could use diplomacy to convince Steve to change how he's removing ALL obstacles. Since this was first mentioned on this forum last Spring, the amount of "improved" trail seems to have grown from 50 yards to perhaps a few hundred. Steve seems willing to discuss what he's doing, but I don't believe my conversation alone will have any results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If he is a mtb "hater" as you describe, I don't see how any amount discussion with him by the mtb community is going to change his mind in any way other than just pissing him off more and entrenching him in his opinion.

Not that I really care what this guy thinks, but I do care about the fact that he is taking matters into his own hands and doing serious damage to the trail.

This is not his personal private trail to do with as he wishes. It is a public trail managed by the National Forest Service.

IMHO the best path forward would be for you to call the Siuslaw National forest district ranger (see contact info a couple posts above) and give him a first hand account of your discussion with this guy. Get him on their radar. Let them decide what to do about it.

From what I have heard, they aren't happy about the fact that someone is out there messing with the trail and cutting live roots etc...

I don't think harassing this guy is going to result in any positive outcome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am a part of Team dirt and focus on trail building and advocacy. I have personally been in contact with many agents of the USFS in both the Corvallis and Florence office regarding this issue for over 6 months. The individual who has been performing trail alterations has been in contact with the USFS. Team dirt and myself are working closely with the agency to address the concerns of the mountain bike community. I can be reached at eric@teamdirt.org

We are underway with addressing the needs and concerns of mountain bikers to this gem of a trail system. For many who have taken the years of practice that it takes to ride this trail, it has been a disappointment to see our old friend changed in such a way. But, trails are in a constant state of change and securing a lasting relationship with our hiking friends and the USFS is paramount to lasting access to this mountain. A steep sloped trail such as Mary's peak is in a constant state of flux and a hard winter wind storm can always reveal new roots for folks to find challenge. I assure you that we will find a balance or at a minimum an answer as to how things will officially be. There are safety considerations that need to be addressed by uses regarding hiker usability. We hope to strike a win-win situation and things are in motion to achieve this goal.

Please join, support and interact with Team dirt. There truly is strength in numbers and our cries are being heard by the agency. Always way and be courteous to other users of this trail. I have never seen a frown at mary's peak that I couldn't change with only a few kind sentences.

Thanks,
    -Eric
    Last edited by edub; 02-15-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I don't care either way. I was having fun with you