mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Map of Bend's Westside trail system

A newer map of the westside trails.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3795185.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Cool! Thanks for posting.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So what's the deal with the forest passes? Is this new? If so, where are they required?

mtbr member
    The NW Forest Passes aren't new but it's never been clear to me exactly where they are required. I actually lived in Oregon for well over a year before I knew anything about them. However, that map does specifically indicate what trailheads do and don't require the pass with green and red TH icons.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    The Forest Pass is no longer required at most of the trailheads people use for mountain biking. Higher up along the Cascade Lakes highway at most of the hiking trailheads they're required. It was back somewhere around 2004 that the FS removed the requirement for the more well-used areas such as Phil's, Skyliner, Swampy, etc.

Basic rule of thumb is if you plan on parking anywhere past Mt. Bachelor then you'll need a Pass.

On the map Grand Slam trail is incomplete. I wonder why they didn't connect it to Storm King?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the info about the passes. That's what I thought. Guess I never noticed it before. Don't remember it on the old map.
    Missing links?I noticed that too Nat. And a few other things. ODP is missing as well as a section of COD. The connectors from Mrazek to Ben's are still not there. (Not legit I gather still.) CIA isn't on there either. Interesting that the one way stuff is already on there. That's fast by gub-ment standards. Thought maybe the Tyler's climb would be there but maybe that's not completely legit either. Nice to have another new map though. Don't need to update my Adventure map now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Tumalo Falls TH needs the FS Pass too. Half the time I drive up there I forget mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Tumalo Falls TH needs the FS Pass too. Half the time I drive up there I forget mine.
    Been there.

Now when I get a new Forest Pass, I make a photocopy for each vehicle and scribble on the bottom "Sorry, main pass in wife's car" and sign it.

It's been an effective approach for over 5 years........
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Of the dozens of times I've parked up there with no pass, I've never gotten a ticket or a warning. I wonder how forcefully they patrol there. But then again, I am never there on weekends.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I've read that the fine for not having a Pass is $50. I have seen officers ticketing cars but only higher up along the Cascade lakes parking lots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The FS has an ePass (day pass) that can be printed before heading to the trails. Very convenient.

Region 6 - Recreation Passes & Permits

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just called the FS office (Thanks for the number Nat.) and got nowhere.... I was transferred to the recreational desk and left as message. Does anyone here, COTA or otherwise, know if the Phil's TH gate is open or will be soon? It was still closed on Saturday. We plan on camping in there like always later this week. Of course, coordinating with others coming down on where we end up is always a cluster. (I did send the link to the new map to all, thanks again!) Also, I was told that the gate was closed because the area was closed due to the fire. (I hate having to inform the local ranger district that the area I was asking about was south of Skyliners and not in the affected area.) Looks like we can still get into the 031 road area via 6410 I believe from Century and was told that camping off that road is fine. Wha??? Also, still not clear if the increased fire restrictions are already in place on that land or being evaluated Wednesday, the 25th. Any information greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This article covers some of what is happening with fire restrictions. I will try to get more info on what is happening in the Phil's complex area.

Fire rules tighten on C. Oregon public lands | News - Home

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. Appreciated. I got that from Nat via a PM already but don't know if the Phil's area applies. (At all or just yet.) That's all FS land, right? Not having a fire at the end of the day is not as important as the safety factor so I get it. Just getting conflicting info about the TH gate closure. Herding cats all this week as folks come and go...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Follow on question: Can you get into the Phil's area via the white road to the Lair by taking Skyline Ranch Road to Hawk Court and going in that way? Can't see a gate on Google Earth. (And, definitely can't see any "no trespassing" signs...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Follow on question: Can you get into the Phil's area via the white road to the Lair by taking Skyline Ranch Road to Hawk Court and going in that way? Can't see a gate on Google Earth. (And, definitely can't see any "no trespassing" signs...)
    Negative. There is a gate on Hawk Court right before you enter Currier Dr. That is private property and there are 2 houses on that street.

You could always walk to the houses and ask the owners if they'll open the gate for you? Everyone in Bend is typically very nice and easy to get along with.

Edit: Here's a pic with everything you need to know.
    Map of Bend's Westside trail system-hawk_ct.jpg
    Last edited by steiny; 06-23-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added pic

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. Much appreciated. But, I don't think they'd want for us to do that over and over again going to Parilla, 10 Barrel, the BBC, the Victorian, etc.... Just trying to look for an option to get around the Phil's TH gate closure which makes no sense.... That looked like a viable option but the Google Earth shot is old.

mtbr member
    3 mi ride from skyfeltchers avoids any pASS

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Those passes pay for trail facilities you use. ODF has to cross-subsidize trail facilities from revenue generated by timber harvests and OHV fees. That's why mountain bikers don't have the same standing, other than where they do take a financial role like at Blackrock. Gotta pay to play unless you just want the leftovers.

And numbers of passes also represent numbers of users. This also drives resource allocation.

mtbr member
    ^^Very true. It also helps when IMBA/COTA can report how many active members they have in a particular area. It's good to have representation to drive the allocation since the passes are for multiple uses.

...and now that I think about it, I should change my IMBA chapter to COTA. I can't remember the last time I've been on an NWTA trail although I live in Portland.