Thread: Many Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Many Thanks

Before the summer began I came here asked the forum for advice on where to ride on a road trip through Washington and Oregon. I had 2 weeks and I wanted to make the most of it. Thank you very much for your advice, I had one of the best road trips ever.

I was blown away by the trails in these 2 states. I’ve spent most of the last decade riding bike parks and push up/ride down type trails, but in the last few years I’ve become more interested in long xc rides. That can be hard to find locally. Most of my local trails are too technical to just relax and ride. I was super-stoked to get my wheels onto some of the most buff, smooth dirt I’ve ridden. Being able to get out for hours at a time to breathe fresh air and ride around some fantastic natural monuments made it even better. I also have to mention that the people I met were amazing: the guys at Sunnyside Sports in Bend that fixed my rear hub so I didn’t have to miss even a day of riding, Jesus in Blackrock that trained me down his local trails so I didn’t have to take two runs on each trail just to get the speed right. And of course all the people I met doing trail work: the guy and girls on the 8 Mile loop, the trail crew at the Newberry Crater, the guys camped out at Blackrock (and it was mid-week! don't these people have jobs?) and the guy on the fat-tired motorbike on Ochoco Summit trail. Your hard work makes a difference.

So thank you all for your advice forum people, I'll be back in the spring planning for next year's trip.

Here are some of the photos I took of the trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Many Thanks-dsc_0100.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0156.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0201.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0215.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0255.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0331.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0351.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0378.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0399.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0403.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    And the last few....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Many Thanks-dsc_0425.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0507.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0541.jpg  

Many Thanks-dsc_0598.jpg  

MattSavage
    Awesome, glad you enjoyed it!

Maybe you could put the location under each of those photo's, some I recognize, but not all.

Come back again anytime.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Nat
    mtbr member
    Very nice.

Where do you live?

mtbr member
    The last picture,bottom left,looks like Marys Peak? Lets play name those pictures.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jekramerjr51
    ... Lets play name those pictures.

Farewell

Ape Canyon

Newberry

Tamolich Falls aka Blue Pool, MRT

Okay, I got the easy ones, you guys figure the rest out.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

Ape Canyon

--sParty
    Technically, this is the Plains of Abraham.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

On wuss patrol

Lewis River

Siouxon. Actually, Chinook Falls IINM.

Eight Mile?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll be back for sure. I'm from Vancouver myself. I'm totally happy to name the pictures, but the game is fun too. I'll tell you that so far you're all bang no. I had to check the map about the Farewell trail, because I'd remembered it being the Mrazek, but I was wrong! Good guesses. I think the hardest one will be the waterfall, which doesn't really give anything away. I'm happy to add hints if you want.

Phatt Tire Luva'
    that waterfall has to be Siouxon... I'd go with Ape and Eight Mile for sure... Beach is reminiscent of Manzanita... and I'd say the first one was maybe Surveyor's...
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You guys are good! The first photo isn't Surveyor's Ridge and the beach isn't Manzanita (though you're close!). Everything else is correct.

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    Ochocos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Many Thanks-attachment-1.jpg  

Many Thanks-attachment.jpg  

"“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    I mean Ochocos on the right.

Is it Mrazek on the left...?
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2004
    First one looks definately like Jungle Hill. Maybe the second is Kettle Crest North.
    I'd also go with the last two as Lookout in the Ochecos and Mrazek, going up.

And, the other "grassy knoll" shot in the middle may be Lookout too.

Hmmm, when does Ape Canyon "officially" become Plains? Once you clear the trees and pass the "must take" narrow ledge climb out photo spot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think that it becomes the Plains as soon as Tattoo says so.Nice pics...when was summer?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Technically, this is the Plains of Abraham.
    I thought Ape Canyon is the name of the trail and Plains of Abraham is the name of a locale. That is to say the Ape Canyon Trail goes throught the Plains of Abraham.

Are they indeed two distinct trails?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

please, just ride
    Beach shot is looking toward Oceanside from Cape Meares, Lookout, or Arago. Can't remember as it's been a while since I've plied that route..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I thought Ape Canyon is the name of the trail and Plains of Abraham is the name of a locale. That is to say the Ape Canyon Trail goes throught the Plains of Abraham.

Are they indeed two distinct trails?

--sParty
    The Ape Canyon trail ends shortley after the big outcropping at the top of the climb and the intersction with the Loowit Trail, most people refer to this section as The Plains of Abraham but it is actually the Loowit Trail.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Sadly, as long as I've lived here I've only seen a couple of those pics in person...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jekramerjr51
    The last picture,bottom left,looks like Marys Peak? Lets play name those pictures.
    Yes, Looking down from the very top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice work seedy, you're exactly right. (sorry I missed your comment earlier) I'm still amazed that Qanuk knew the waterfall was the one near the Siouxon trail.

Sans Soucie, you've got the first one being the Ochocos, but the one with the girl isn't Mrazek. (though you're close)

Borneo is all over that first pic, it was right at the top of Jungle Hill. Such a great trail. The second isn't Kettle Crest North though.

poppa#1, the summer in the middle of July. I think I was back in Van by around the 26th.

And for Uncle Cliffy, it just two weeks, two bike, a tent and a lot of bagels from Trader Joe's.

I love Trader Joe.

mtbr member
    Great pics and way to knock off some of the areas gems!

I believe the pic with the gal is on sector 16.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wow ttrd. Though it wasn't Sector 16 it was one of the trail in the Swampy Lakes area. I can't remember which one, but we did a loop which took us up the Ridge trail to the lookout and then out to the xc ski cabin and back to the Swampy Lakes parking lot. You're so close that I've gotta give it to you.

mtbr member
    If not sec 16, it's gotta be lower flagline/flagline tie or swede ridge. Wish I could be on that trail now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Siouxon is an iconic trail, so pretty recognizable

Quote Originally Posted by dawnchairy
    Nice work seedy, you're exactly right. (sorry I missed your comment earlier) I'm still amazed that Qanuk knew the waterfall was the one near the Siouxon trail.

I love Trader Joe.
    If you live and ride around here and go to Siouxon, the usual goal is to make it to Chinook Falls. That log has been there since the mid 1990's, at least (first time I rode to it). Making it to the falls was our goal when we rode there a couple of weeks ago. It was my first try at tandem on that trail and it was my stoker's second tandem ride. OH it was wet that day. And we made it to Chinook falls, tho declined to ride over the rushing rock creek just prior to the bridge.

You hit quite a few of the high spots (pun intended) on your trip south of the border. glad you will be coming back to see some more. Sometime I gotta get up into Canada. I hear there might be some trails and mountains and falls there too
    bike ON
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0