Trail Cubist

Man this rain is KILLING me...

I'm just gonna say it: as someone who has only lived in the PNW for a year, I now believe that anyone who thinks the 8 months of the year that it rains CONSTANTLY are "okay" is deluding themselves and putting lipstick on a pig.

The weather here in Oregon for the past 3 months has SUCKED. Bigtime. Rain, rain, rain, rain rain.

Even worse is that the sun will come out—never for more than 5 minutes at a time—several times each day, in a cruel tease...but that's all it ever is, because then it's rain, rain, rain, rain, and more rain.

Trust me: life can be BETTER than this! In other parts of the country, it doesn't rain nonstop for the entire winter and spring! You actually get long periods of sunny days (which might be cold, but they're still SUNNY).

Don't get me wrong—Oregon is a beautiful place, and yes—the summers are perfect. But that perfect weather lasts 3-4 months tops. Then it's rain, rain, rain, rain, rain for the rest of the year.

So if you keep telling yourself "But the summers are perfect," you're fooling yourself—summers are really nice in other places too_places where it doesn't RAIN nonstop the rest of the year!

<stepping off soapbox>
    Scott

PS - And if you're someone who says "Eh, rain isn't so bad—you just get used to it," then my response to you is "Eh, living in a cardboard box isn't so bad, and eating sterno for lunch isn't bad—you just have to get used to it!" [Point= humans can "get used to" all manner of horrible suffering and awful conditions—but they're STILL horrible and awful!]
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OMG! That is precisely why we moved from W. WA. I grew up in E. WA and my wife in Bend -- what bothered us most was the overcast drizzle. Depressing. All you can think about is a nap. If it's gonna rain, then rain! Otherwise lets see some blue sky!

I feel for you.

Cheers

PS- When the sun DOES come out in PDX or SEA, it's either "too hot" and/or "extreme drought"

mtbr member
    That's the main reason we didn't ultimately end up looking for retirement property in Oregon. My wife wouldn't have been able to handle the rain and dreary skies that go along with it. Bend supposedly gets alot less rain and it may have been Nirvana at one time but now it's nothing close to that IMO...

I know rain also equates to snow which I can appreciate for my snowboarding fix but if that's what I was looking for, I'd live in either Ogden (for Snowbasin and Powder Mtn) or Driggs (for Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole).
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 03-15-2016 at 04:36 PM.

mtbr member
    To be fair, this is the wettest year on record. But yeah, it is wet in Oregon. I don't mind, I prefer skiing in the winter, spring and summer months than anything else. All that precipitation allows me to do this.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I know the feeling too well. I moved to Portland thinking I'd be fine with the rain. WRONG. I lasted 3.5 years and moved to the other side of the Cascades without any regrets. 4 seasons are better than 2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It rained?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    What has been good for me is that 2 mornings a week I've been getting just enough dry to do a 7am 2.5 mile run before work. Most weekends also have one day with a few hour dry spell to get in my 14 mile ride. But yah, the other wet 161 hours a week do suck. I've been here 23 years and it still beats the LA Cal basin in the summer which runs from Easter to Thanksgiving.
    2015 Giant Stance 2 - 1 X 10 11/42 30T
    2016 Diamondback Insight 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just got home from a couple of days in the Redmond/Prineville area for work.

I must say that was the craziest few days of weather I've seen in some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i moved here from arizona so i feel ya! but i can tell you that with flexibility you can make it work, take last friday for instance i rode sandy in 3 hours of dry weather and sun. sometimes you have to find it.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I almost moved to Austin.... as much as I hate Texas, this rain has me thinking twice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Back to California with you, thanks for visiting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny View Post
    Back to California with you, thanks for visiting.
    Oh no, stay up there. It's nice and dry and warm down here in So Cal.

mtbr member
    I moved from PDX to LA this past August, and I have to say, I'm loving the weather! ...southern California may not be for everyone, but it's where I was born and I've got a lot of family in the area.

I spent most of my life in Oregon and Washington, in fact I was living in Seattle several years ago when there was a new record set for continuous days of rain, I forget the number but it was over a month!
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

On wuss patrol
    I can't get my mower through the wet grass which is growing at the rate of about a 1/2" a day :-/
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A) this has been the wettest winter in a LONG time
    B) last summer effectively started in May and it was nice until November...people were complaining about it NOT raining, go figure.
    C) if it didn't rain CX wouldn't be any fun.

We try and get out of town a few times in the winter, always bring the bike or rent. Gives us a really good reason to skip town.

I don't mind the drizzle, it doesn't keep me from riding. Heavy rain, yeah, but they are (typically) rare, this year being the exception.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sure, this season has been wet, but last year was amazing. Those dry lakes looked pretty creepy from the top of The Twins and Maiden Peak throughout the summer. The bigger issue with the rain in PDX is that it has lost it's power to stop people from moving here. I did not mind the rain before that.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Trail Cubist
    I arrived in Oregon (from West Virginia) last year in February. And yeah, last winter was great—the entire month of February (at least in Eugene) was sunny and 60 degrees. I was surprised—I'd braced myself for not seeing the sun for months.

So yeah...in my first 2 winters in Oregon, I've experienced the driest and wettest winters on record. (Kind of a drag not knowing what's in store next?)

I don't mind the mist and light drizzle—as ArizRider said, you can still ride in that stuff. But (again, in Eugene) it's been POURING rain almost every day. That sucks. I'm not riding in pouring rain, period. And it just sucks all the life and desire to do anything out of me. :-(

I'm not sure I agree that people will continue to flock to PDX in droves. Just give 'em all a year or two and they'll be wondering why the hell they moved there (because of the rain). All those people are like I was: before moving here, I thought "How bad can the rain be?" and "Eh, rain shmain, no big deal—I can handle it." WRONG.

If this winter becomes the new sopping-wet norm, I won't last long here and may flee back to the east.

On the other hand, I admit that as humans, we're quick to forget what sucked about other places. I remember back in West Virginia, I'd be irritable and burned-out by March there too—although it wasn't because of rain so much as being sick and tired of sub-freezing temps. March is a tough time of year anywhere (unless you live in Hawaii or some other place where it's 80 degrees year-round).

And I hate riding in mud. Some love it, but I think it sucks. I don't like my wheels sliding around, and it's a pain to have to wash the bike off after every ride. So even if it stops raining for a few hours, that's typically not enough to dry out the trails. you need days with no rain for that.

Some of the people I've talked to in Eugene that say "We love it here!" are also independently wealthy (with no kids) and basically get the hell out of here every single weekend and go skiing in Bend, or backcountry skiing in the Wallowas, or take a trip somewhere else. (Sure—I'd love it too if I could basically leave anytime I wanted, for however long I wanted!)

Fingers crossed that this crap STOPS and we get some SUNSHINE soon!!!

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Doing the opposite for me, it's making my food grow.

Don't hate on the rain, store it, use it.

My goat and chickens love it!
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    .....And I hate riding in mud. Some love it, but I think it sucks. I don't like my wheels sliding around, and it's a pain to have to wash the bike off after every ride. So even if it stops raining for a few hours, that's typically not enough to dry out the trails. you need days with no rain for that.
    +1 to all you've said above and this especially!

I used to ride year round and deal with the muddy bike and gear. Now rinsing the excess mud out of the clothes before they go in the wash, washing the bike and lubing it adds too much extra work for me to want to ride mud anymore.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The crew I ride with build and maintain trail during the shitty/rainy time of year, we call it "building season" .grounds soft from the rain and easy to work.

Only thing I really don't like living in the pnw is nov/Dec when it gets dark at 430pm!

mtbr member
    10 dry days predicted from here on out! Ride!
    2015 Giant Stance 2 - 1 X 10 11/42 30T
    2016 Diamondback Insight 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    not to mention having to wash the dogs who went along for the ride...

On wuss patrol
    SWr, maybe the PNW isn't for you. No shame in that.

However, as a lifer here, I encourage you to give it a few years to have the opportunity to enjoy the diversity of the seasons and see/explore what is here. An "average" year or two can be pretty amazing.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

COTA member
    10 dry days predicted from here on out! Ride!
    What forecast are you reading? NWS says rain by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Haters gonna hate; rain provides an opportunity to dial in your mountain bike cornering technique. Two wheel drift is your friend. Apparently buddy, you need to learn to dress for the weather.

That being said, I've been here for 37 years now. Please shoot me in the face. Please. It's so dark out (and still raining). Thank god I have a job with benefits that lets me get paid to take off sunny days for the outdoors. Like tomorrow. When I get to rip at Sandy Ridge all day.

Peace.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My perspective--winter weather in PNW isn't great, but its not that bad either and the mountain biking makes it worth it. There are better places for weather of course but there are also worse ones. I grew up in AK, which had awesome snowy winters in south central and brutal dark cold winters in the interior, but now has milder winters in the interior and miserable icy winters in southcentral. I'm in the process of moving to the Durango area, which pretty much has the nicest winters for sun and snow anywhere. But, I don't consider Oregon overly bad when it comes to winter. I spent 11 years here and rode my bike through a lot of winters including some very very memorable days in January and February.

Now, this being a mountain biking site, Oregon is pretty darn awesome on that front. I've spent the last year on sabbatical full time traveling to ride bikes and other outdoor adventures. In that time, I've ridden most locations between southern Los Angeles and Alaska, including BC (Vancouver Island, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Chilcotins, Fraser Valley, Revelstoke, Smithers, Williams Lake, Burns Lake, Terrace, etc), Yukon (Whitehorse/Carcross), Alberta, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz. I spent the winter traveling in NZ for 3 months riding bikes in Rotorua, Nelson, Craigieburn, Wanaka and Queenstown. My conclusion after all of that is that the best dirt I've seen anywhere so far is right here in Oregon, the best trails by far are in BC, and the best riding experience is in the Yukon. So, living in Oregon may have some crappy weather, but you get to ride the best dirt anywhere and its an easy 4 day weekend to hit the best trails in the world. I probably won't miss the winter weather here, but I'll sure miss the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    My perspective--winter weather in PNW isn't great, but its not that bad either and the mountain biking makes it worth it. There are better places for weather of course but there are also worse ones. I grew up in AK, which had awesome snowy winters in south central and brutal dark cold winters in the interior, but now has milder winters in the interior and miserable icy winters in southcentral. I'm in the process of moving to the Durango area, which pretty much has the nicest winters for sun and snow anywhere. But, I don't consider Oregon overly bad when it comes to winter. I spent 11 years here and rode my bike through a lot of winters including some very very memorable days in January and February.

Now, this being a mountain biking site, Oregon is pretty darn awesome on that front. I've spent the last year on sabbatical full time traveling to ride bikes and other outdoor adventures. In that time, I've ridden most locations between southern Los Angeles and Alaska, including BC (Vancouver Island, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Chilcotins, Fraser Valley, Revelstoke, Smithers, Williams Lake, Burns Lake, Terrace, etc), Yukon (Whitehorse/Carcross), Alberta, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz. I spent the winter traveling in NZ for 3 months riding bikes in Rotorua, Nelson, Craigieburn, Wanaka and Queenstown. My conclusion after all of that is that the best dirt I've seen anywhere so far is right here in Oregon, the best trails by far are in BC, and the best riding experience is in the Yukon. So, living in Oregon may have some crappy weather, but you get to ride the best dirt anywhere and its an easy 4 day weekend to hit the best trails in the world. I probably won't miss the winter weather here, but I'll sure miss the trails.
    Nice write up of sharing your expierences of riding here compared to other parts of the world Thor, sounds amazing! I am a little bummed i had to stay put this whole winter in Portland, missing my usual annual mid-winter escape to the SW for a week. Even though it has been the wettest winter/spring here in over 60 years, i still managed to average at least 4x/wk trail rides and i hate mud riding. Last week i got me 6 trail rides. Some not epic, post work PB rides, but always at least two great day rides/week. So, if patient and know how certain trails handle water the best and catching weather break windows, there usually always good and decent riding to be had around here. Get a hardtail for winter/wet riding for around though. Your FS pivots will be happy you did

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Oregon wins the award for "Best Dirt"? As in, soil? Dayum, this loam is just the right mix of sand and organic material! That doesn't sound that impressive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am impressed how well PB holds up. Rode from my house Tuesday. It was a nice change from the typical rain ride on the fendered "you know what" bike. I will keep this in the mix at least once, if not twice, a week. Easy four good laps and back home in well under 2 1/2 hours. Yes Thor, the dirt here is the difference. I was not aware it had been awarded though. Enjoy the High Country, btw.🎩

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Why is the rain stopping you from riding? You need to get comfortable with being uncomfortable =). Only thing I dont like is the the extra laundry and cleaning the bike but shrug...price you pay to play in the mud

Trail Cubist
    Quote Originally Posted by ybh70 View Post
    Why is the rain stopping you from riding? You need to get comfortable with being uncomfortable =). Only thing I dont like is the the extra laundry and cleaning the bike but shrug...price you pay to play in the mud
    Sorry—but at age 53 I'm done with being miserable. :-) That's not to say I can't handle some being cold and wet—I can. But riding in mud sucks IMO, and when it's dark and rainy EVERY day for MONTHS (which it pretty much was this winter in Eugene), well...that's just crap, period.

Once it's reliably sunny and dry though, I plan to ride EVERY DAY for 3 months straight—my strategy is to basically overdose on riding...so when the "Eternal Rains" return I'll be fine with not riding for months, LOL

Scott

Nat
    mtbr member
    Biking in mud, no bueno. None for me, thanks.

MattSavage
    Sorry—but at age 53 I'm done with being miserable. :-) That's not to say I can't handle some being cold and wet—I can. But riding in mud sucks IMO, and when it's dark and rainy EVERY day for MONTHS (which it pretty much was this winter in Eugene), well...that's just crap, period.

Once it's reliably sunny and dry though, I plan to ride EVERY DAY for 3 months straight—my strategy is to basically overdose on riding...so when the "Eternal Rains" return I'll be fine with not riding for months, LOL

Scott
    Plenty of other things to do in the winter to keep you active... Besides, riding muddy trails is bad for the tread... A wet trail is one thing, muddy is another.

Like another reader said, winter is build time. You'll appreciate that trail more come spring.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There's a lot not to like about rainy winter weather in Oregon, but in the overall context of mountain biking I really don't understand it. I've spent the last year on sabbatical traveling and riding almost everywhere between California and Alaska, with stops in BC (Vancouver Island, North Shore, Fraser Valley, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Chilcotins, Revelstoke, Williams Lake, Burns Lake, Smithers, and Terrace), Yukon (Whitehorse/Carcross), Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Southern California, Northern California, Oregon and Washington. I spent the last three months traveling and riding bikes in New Zealand. Bottom line, sure the weather isn't great here, but western Oregon has the best dirt in the world and we're just a weekend away from BC which is the gold standard for mountain biking. I'll miss that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

... and if we just ...

yea I understand just hinting about just embracing the weather cause PNW is one of largest temperate rainforest on the planet =} suppose to be sunny end of the week

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Scott
    That's pretty much what I do. I camp & do big back country rides ( Oregon is a glorious spot for this) every single wknd from memorial day until the mud comes & several week+ long destination adventures ...nice being single & shirking all "adult" responsibilities in life. It's hard work I tell ya. By the time the rain starts i'm truely exhausted & welcome some down time. After a few weeks on the couch time to break out the kayak or bag some summits or snowboard or whatever. I'm a fair weather rider but plenty of killer things to do in the winter. So quit yur bellyaching & get a kayak or something ya bastid
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    This the place where the desert rats say how great their area is! We have better rides but they may have better weather.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm from California, going to school in Portland. Yes, I hate the weather. People who say the precipitation helps keep the skiing good have never been to the Sierra or the Rockies. California skiing is orders of magnitude better than PNW skiing and the weather is also not crappy 9 months of the year. But the riding...Well let me just say the riding within an hour of PDX is absolutely world class. Oregon truly is a MTB mecca.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I start getting pretty gloomy (and fat...) this time of year.
    And then one day the sun comes out and I'm suddenly happier and healthier, both mentally and physically.
    I lived in West Texas for a while and rode year round, but the actual riding was relatively boring it was all the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    And then one day the sun comes out
    It just did! I'm gonna go ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    It just did! I'm gonna go ride...
    I'll be at Riverview in half an hour

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I personally like rain. I'm from the Gulf Coast but moved to CA a long, long time ago. Once I got into auto racing I didn't like the rain so much. Same with mountain biking but I don't mind a wet ride once in a while. Maybe it's because it's so rare that it's new and fun. I'm sure I would like it less if it rained more. With the rainfall we've had lately in California, it has made the rides much nicer. I'm so used to ugly brown tumbleweeds and dead everything and stickers everywhere (the ones that made me convert to tubeless) that the green everywhere is just great. I'm literally in a better mood on my rides and enjoy looking at the scenery instead of the depressing brown and smog everywhere.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm just gonna say it: as someone who has only lived in the PNW for a year, I now believe that anyone who thinks the 8 months of the year that it rains CONSTANTLY are "okay" is deluding themselves and putting lipstick on a pig.

The weather here in Oregon for the past 3 months has SUCKED. Bigtime. Rain, rain, rain, rain rain.
    Oh sweet summer child.....

As everyone else as pointed out, last year was an anomaly. This year is equally an anomaly. The truth of life here lies somewhere in the middle. In fact it's been several weeks now, since every area in Oregon hit the average precipitation in the rain season, which runs Oct 1 - Sept 30, which means nearly every drop we got in March, and will continue to get through the end of this spring, and then again if we have an early fall in September, have been above average.

What you cannot find in other places is the many and varied opportunities to recreate in any manner you want, with large community groups who are equally passionate to do so.

So to reiterate, you know nothing John Snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    Oh sweet summer child.....
    .. what do you know of rain? Rain is for the winter, my little rider, when the mud runs a hundred inches deep and the sound of squealing brakes comes howling out of the north...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well, it Eugene does get 46 inches of rain a year.

What did you expect?!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    After today, I think I prefer the gloomy days. Damn there were a lot of people enjoying the sunshine in the Gorge today.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    The whole valley is nothing but hero dirt. We hit BRMBA this morning with many others (cars stacked all the way out to the main road when we left) and are off to Crawfish tomorrow...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Only 5 cars at Siouxon on Friday. Can only imagine how packed it was today.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We had it to ourselves two weeks ago. Really fortunate I have a midweek weekend when it get's like this. Just as long as Huffman never sees a crowd, or a horse, I will sleep well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    We had it to ourselves two weeks ago. Really fortunate I have a midweek weekend when it get's like this. Just as long as Huffman never sees a crowd, or a horse, I will sleep well.
    Huffman clear, already?!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No Huffman yet.