• 01-03-2013
    Giant Chachi
    Mac Forest Trails? XC? AM? A mix of all?
    I’m just curious about the thoughts of local riders concerning the trails in the Mac Forest. If you were to categorize the trails up there, would you consider them to be Cross Country (XC), Trail, or All Mountain (AM), or a mix of all. I know, these are mainly categories of bike types, but how would you associate the trails locally to these bike types.

    Personally, I ride an XC bike with my Giant Anthem X 29er, but I definitely see a variety of bikes on the trails in the Mac that vary from XC bikes like mine to freeride/downhill style bikes. For the most part, all these bikes can ride the trails in the Mac with success. At the same time, I’m sure some bikes can ride some of the trails up there better than others……The Plunge for example. I have ridden it on my Anthem, but hiked down the sketchy root section as I wasn’t close to being ready to attempt it. That trail itself I think falls into more of an All Mountain trail as opposed to XC…..even though I’m sure that some could ride it on an XC bike without issue.

    So again, just curious about your thoughts on our local trails and if you were to categorize them, what types of trails would they be. Thanks!
  • 01-05-2013
    Reverendws
    I am a weekend rider, nothing special, I ride a Kona Nunu hardtail. Mac has a little of everything making it a great place to be for me. Lots of options.
  • 01-06-2013
    jmountain
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    I’m just curious about the thoughts of local riders concerning the trails in the Mac Forest. If you were to categorize the trails up there, would you consider them to be Cross Country (XC), Trail, or All Mountain (AM), or a mix of all. I know, these are mainly categories of bike types, but how would you associate the trails locally to these bike types.

    Personally, I ride an XC bike with my Giant Anthem X 29er, but I definitely see a variety of bikes on the trails in the Mac that vary from XC bikes like mine to freeride/downhill style bikes. For the most part, all these bikes can ride the trails in the Mac with success. At the same time, I’m sure some bikes can ride some of the trails up there better than others……The Plunge for example. I have ridden it on my Anthem, but hiked down the sketchy root section as I wasn’t close to being ready to attempt it. That trail itself I think falls into more of an All Mountain trail as opposed to XC…..even though I’m sure that some could ride it on an XC bike without issue.

    So again, just curious about your thoughts on our local trails and if you were to categorize them, what types of trails would they be. Thanks!

    I rode The Plunge on my XC bike my first time there. I would classify the trails as good and fun trails as they have the potential for the rider to make the most of them regardless of the bike you're on.
  • 01-07-2013
    Giant Chachi
    Totally jmountain, I did too. Well, I rode The Plunge about 14 years ago when I used to ride before an extend hiatus until spring of 2012. That said, there certainly have been changes up there, and changes for myself too....namely being more cautious.

    I was really just trying to label our local trails in some way, so when I talk about them with friends out of the area or coming into town to ride them, I have a way to describe them. I don't think calling them XC does them any justice. I am loving these trails on my Anthem for sure, but also could see how certain trails would be better served on something with a bit more head angle slack.

    Again, just curious on thoughts from local riders on what they would call the local trails, if they were of course forced to put a label on them. Nothing more.
  • 01-10-2013
    robinlikethebird
    from the trails that i have ridden there, it seems to be mostly glorified road riding. Have seen and ridden some off shoot from the main trails, but have found nothing I would classify as AM. I am sure I have not come close to riding all the trails there, so where would you all say that theses AM trails are?
  • 01-11-2013
    OregonSS
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by robinlikethebird View Post
    from the trails that i have ridden there, it seems to be mostly glorified road riding. Have seen and ridden some off shoot from the main trails, but have found nothing I would classify as AM. I am sure I have not come close to riding all the trails there, so where would you all say that theses AM trails are?

    That's what I thought for the first 2 weeks I lived in Corvallis. You're right that Dan's trail, horse, and extendo can all be ridden on a cyclocross bike.

    However, once you start to learn the area, there's a LOT more in store--endo, 2 bits, the plunge, shave and a haircut--there's a LOT of trail in this place. I just stumbled across something new near the oak creek gate the other day (complete with ladder bridges).

    What's good about the Mac is that I can jump on my cross bike and go grab miles, I can get on my rigid singlespeed and have a great XC ride, or I can jump on my SB-95 and go find some trouble to get in to (e.g., hitting the stuff on the plunge big and at speed).
  • 01-11-2013
    Giant Chachi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OregonSS View Post
    That's what I thought for the first 2 weeks I lived in Corvallis. You're right that Dan's trail, horse, and extendo can all be ridden on a cyclocross bike.

    However, once you start to learn the area, there's a LOT more in store--endo, 2 bits, the plunge, shave and a haircut--there's a LOT of trail in this place. I just stumbled across something new near the oak creek gate the other day (complete with ladder bridges).

    What's good about the Mac is that I can jump on my cross bike and go grab miles, I can get on my rigid singlespeed and have a great XC ride, or I can jump on my SB-95 and go find some trouble to get in to (e.g., hitting the stuff on the plunge big and at speed).

    Dead on post from a guy that obviously knows the trails up there. You bet, Dan's, Horse, and a few others are pretty mellow for sure. But as mentioned, there are a lot of trails up there that can be a blast with a bunch of techy sections, and as mentioned, features. OregonSS, I think that trail you speak of is called Scream. Pretty fun....and even more so dry. It is in gnarly shape right now unfortunately.

    Glorified road riding? Please. Want to go for a ride up there.....on your road bike? :p
  • 01-11-2013
    OregonSS
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Dead on post from a guy that obviously knows the trails up there. You bet, Dan's, Horse, and a few others are pretty mellow for sure. But as mentioned, there are a lot of trails up there that can be a blast with a bunch of techy sections, and as mentioned, features. OregonSS, I think that trail you speak of is called Scream. Pretty fun....and even more so dry. It is in gnarly shape right now unfortunately.

    Glorified road riding? Please. Want to go for a ride up there.....on your road bike? :p

    If it's the trail I'm thinking of (pretty short), you're right about the condition. I tried to launch the 2nd ladder and landed on greasy mud to a blown landing (it's only about 3 feet, so I felt pretty stupid). I don't think my clothes will ever come clean.

    I don't think the Mac will ever be a "riding destination" in the way that Oakridge is, but for a local trail network, there's plenty to keep it interesting. This is my second year in Corvallis, and I finally think I have a pretty good idea for the place.
  • 01-11-2013
    robinlikethebird
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Dead on post from a guy that obviously knows the trails up there. You bet, Dan's, Horse, and a few others are pretty mellow for sure. But as mentioned, there are a lot of trails up there that can be a blast with a bunch of techy sections, and as mentioned, features. OregonSS, I think that trail you speak of is called Scream. Pretty fun....and even more so dry. It is in gnarly shape right now unfortunately.

    Glorified road riding? Please. Want to go for a ride up there.....on your road bike? :p


    That's great, it seems like I still have some exploring to do!

    I'll make sure my slics are in good shape too:D
  • 01-11-2013
    OregonSS
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by robinlikethebird View Post
    That's great, it seems like I still have some exploring to do!

    I'll make sure my slics are in good shape too:D

    A good share of the "interesting" riding is accessed from the Oak Creek entrance. Start heading up the main road, but take your first left when you hit the fork. From there, stay on the main fireroad until it becomes the "uproute" trail. Climb this thing to the top of Extendo. From there, if you get on the fireroad at the trail intersection and head up:

    1. There is a trail about 100 yards up the road on the right. This is the trail I've always heard referred to as "2 bits". Decent, but there are better options.

    2. About 1/2 mile (?) up, on the right, there is a sign pointing up toward McCollough peak, and a double-track heading right. If you jump on this and follow it for a couple hundred yards (?) you'll pass "shave and a haircut" on the right.

    3. If you keep heading toward McCollough, in another 3/4 mile (?) you'll hit an overlook with a bench. Just above the overlook (50 feet further up the road), you'll see a steep singletrack heading straight down (there's a big stump almost obscuring it). This is the plunge. The lower section holds a lot of water, but if you do the top and jump on the doubletrack (heading right), you can follow this around to "shave and a haircut."

    4. If you keep heading up, about 15 yard past the entrance to the plunge, you'll see a singletrack heading up on the left. This is Endo. I don't recommend riding this when it's wet .:nono:

    This should get you started exploring. Of course, that still leaves all of the stuff near the radio tower, the stashes behind dans, the trails off the back of McCollough... ;)
  • 01-11-2013
    Giant Chachi
    Awesome post Keith! Those are a good start on the trails up there for sure, and some others that are up there that are a blast. Narnia's Forest is really fun, although not terribly technical, but well worth it, as it really tends to be a "flow" trail.

    You know robinlikethebird, I'm just messing with you! I don't mean to sound seriously offended about your thoughts on the local trails by any means. I just think that we are extremely fortunate that we have this good of a trail network so close to home. Is the best around? No, but it is much better than most have out their back door.

    My point of this thread was to hear some thoughts on what people call these trails, especially when describing them to others. I have found that telling a buddy from out of the area that they are XC trails, then taking him down Save and a Haircut and Buzz Cut, followed by Hocus Pocus, they just didn't fit his description of XC. But it is subjective, to a point, I suppose.

    Here are two great tools that I use to learn the trails, at least on a screen, then go out to go do some exploring:

    Enter 97330 into the zip code field, and zoom into the Mac Forest and look at the trails. If you zoom in enough, the trail names will show up too.
    OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map

    This is a map that is old, but most of the trails are still there. Some have different names, some are no longer there, and some are now overgrown. But it is a great resource from someone who helped build the trails in the area about 20+ years ago.
    http://people.whitman.edu/~pogue/files/corvallismap.pdf

    I hope those help! Have fun, and maye we'll see each other up there. :thumbsup:
  • 01-11-2013
    robinlikethebird
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Awesome post Keith! Those are a good start on the trails up there for sure, and some others that are up there that are a blast. Narnia's Forest is really fun, although not terribly technical, but well worth it, as it really tends to be a "flow" trail.

    You know robinlikethebird, I'm just messing with you! I don't mean to sound seriously offended about your thoughts on the local trails by any means. I just think that we are extremely fortunate that we have this good of a trail network so close to home. Is the best around? No, but it is much better than most have out their back door.

    My point of this thread was to hear some thoughts on what people call these trails, especially when describing them to others. I have found that telling a buddy from out of the area that they are XC trails, then taking him down Save and a Haircut and Buzz Cut, followed by Hocus Pocus, they just didn't fit his description of XC. But it is subjective, to a point, I suppose.

    Here are two great tools that I use to learn the trails, at least on a screen, then go out to go do some exploring:

    Enter 97330 into the zip code field, and zoom into the Mac Forest and look at the trails. If you zoom in enough, the trail names will show up too.
    OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map

    This is a map that is old, but most of the trails are still there. Some have different names, some are no longer there, and some are now overgrown. But it is a great resource from someone who helped build the trails in the area about 20+ years ago.
    http://people.whitman.edu/~pogue/files/corvallismap.pdf

    I hope those help! Have fun, and maybe we'll see each other up there. :thumbsup:

    no harm done, my skin tough,. But seriously I appreciate all the info.

    I will be getting out there a bunch in the near future and I am glad to have more trails then just the less exciting trails that i have been on.
  • 01-12-2013
    Reverendws
    Thanks for that map link I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:
  • 01-14-2013
    Giant Chachi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Reverendws View Post
    Thanks for that map link I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

    No problem at all. Hope it helps! Those are some good tools for trail locating, for sure.
  • 02-17-2013
    Undies
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Narnia's Forest is really fun, although not terribly technical, but well worth it, as it really tends to be a "flow" trail.

    Where is Narnia's Forest? I don't see it marked by name on the OpenCycleMap site. As a HT rider I am always looking for flowy trails.
  • 02-21-2013
    Giant Chachi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    Where is Narnia's Forest? I don't see it marked by name on the OpenCycleMap site. As a HT rider I am always looking for flowy trails.

    PM sent to you Undies. I have been scolded for discussing trail locations in public, and I try to avoid that now.