VP/ Terrain Designer

We the people ... Lucky Boy Mine Trail?

Well seeming as how i'm on the injured list, and not able to ride; I spend the time that I used to ride, on the computer inundating myself with biking media and looking for new stuff to ride when i'm healed.
    I have found a couple hits talking about the Luck Boy Mine Trail. I am familiar with the goldmining history in this area, but not the trail. Supposedly McKenzie River Mountain Resort offers shuttles of this trail and Castle Rock Trail. It is said to be 90% DH at 1.89 miles long. Ending close to Blue River Res. Any info would be appreciated. Some photos would be off the hook!
    Thanks Y'all
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    I'm subscribing because I am interested too. Someone from the resort posted on here a couple of years ago. The were offering discounted cabins and a free shuttle in exchange for feedback on the trail. I tried to book it but was told they wouldn't do it on weekends. I haven't heard anything about it since.

I also seem to remember that the downhill was much longer.
    Last edited by DJ Giggity; 09-17-2011 at 01:23 AM.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    A few months back I spoke with the folks from Mckenzie River Mountain Resort and they said they were still waiting for authorization from the forest service to use this trail. They have the trail pictured on their website and it looked pretty good, but as far as I know they are still not doing shuttles for this trail, even though they advertised it for a while.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Spent the weekend panning for gold along this trail. Lots of great mining history from the late 1800's.
    We started at the top and hiked all the way to the bottom, and then back to the top. This trail seems to be an old mining road, barely the width of a 4wheeler in most places, and a bit of single track too. lots of different soil and rock types. With some maintenence this could be a rediculously screamin fast/technical or a mellow cruise. SOOOOOOOOO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!!! Creek crossings, waterfalls, exposure, gorgeous scenery. There were a couple zones that were in desperate need of repair or maintenence, before it could handle mass traffic. It was about 4-5 miles and a little over 4000ft of elevation. The top 1/4 of trail was pretty STEEP. In order to shuttle, its a bit of driving; but I think it "could" be worth it, with some work. These pictures aren't of the trail or biking, but scenery and relics along the trail.
    View from the top. Thats Cougar Res.

The only pic of trail I got.

An old piece of a hard rock mill. The trail and road system around the many extinct mines, are quite extensive.

And you end up at Blue River Res. at the bottom. Trail runs along a few forks of the Quartz Creek.

mtbr member
    Those pictures are awesome, thanks for posting them. I really need to spend more time in this part of oregon, it doesn't get any better in my opinion.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Agreed! Love this area; its so rugged and lush.....if thats possible.