mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Looking for Trail and Camping Recommendations

My kids and I are driving up for one week and am looking for recommendations for good trails and camping. My boys are 21, 14 and 12 years old. We ride 35-pound bikes and are intermediate riders, so Iím looking to shuttle, hike or take a lift. Thought about McKenzie and Umpqua, but heard it was too much climbing for our bikes. Iím thinking about Post Canyon and Oakridge. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Tree Hugger
    MRT and Umpqua don't have outrageous amounts of climbing, after all they are river trails. MRT is mostly flat to downhill, but the Umpqua is pretty rolling. Most of the climbs are short, and steep. Oakridge has more climbing on average than either MRT or Umpqua. Unless you can shuttle Post Canyon, there will be plenty of climbing there also.

I would go for MRT, and if you have fun, try a few sections of the Umpqua.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    With a full week to spend & bikes that hefty, you should definitely fit Post Canyon into your plans. The Surveyors Ridge trail south of Hood River off Hwy 35 can be done as a shuttle that will not make you spend too much time pedaling up hill for all the great riding you'll get. The guys at Discover Bikes, http://www.discoverbicycles.com/ , can help with info.

Oakridge is a great place to ride too & Randy at Oregon-Adventures, http://www.oregon-adventures.com/ , can help with shuttles & trail choices.

It's about 4 hours between Oakridge & Hood River, so you might want to change base camps at some point in the week to take advantage of both. You can also get from one to the other via Bend & get some rides in there too.

I haven't ridden Umpqua yet (dammit) but I agree that McKenzie would be a struggle on 35 pounders. There is a lot of great riding on that trail, but you do have to earn it with some grinding.

Bottom line is you can't go too wrong with any combination of the trails in Oregon. Have fun.

mtbr member
    There's more climbing on the MRT than I'd want to do on a 35 pound bike.