Est. 1971
    Jan 2004

New question here. Looking for Timothy Lake Loop and Trail 518

Where are these exactly in the Mt. Hood Wilderness? I saw pics in another thread and then in MBA, it looks like they'll be on the list of new rides to check out either over the winter or next year.

I've look all over MTBR & PUMP, neither trail seems to be listed. Any help? Thanks.
    -Tim B
    Larry of the Swiss Alps

Obviously Single

I can help with one ...

Hi Tim-ster!

I've ridden the Timothy Lake loop. It's a really nice loop, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10.

It has really nice views of Mt. Hood, and of the lake itself, of course. But's it's fairly flat and not very long.

Those attributes are fine, if that's what you're looking for, but for me, that's a long way to drive. I think it's a "should do once a year" ride, but nothing on the level of Plains of A, for example (for me).

Also, it may be getting kind of snowy there right now.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Est. 1971
    Jan 2004
    Ah, good info, thanks. I think I'll put that way down the list, like if I never get to it or take the GF there section.

some DODer's are thinking of Storey Burn and Brown's Camp next weekend. I'm in for BC, I might skip Storey Burn for a few runs down MTB Trail 1.
    -Tim B
    Larry of the Swiss Alps

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_fsr
    Ah, good info, thanks. I think I'll put that way down the list, like if I never get to it or take the GF there section.

some DODer's are thinking of Storey Burn and Brown's Camp next weekend. I'm in for BC, I might skip Storey Burn for a few runs down MTB Trail 1.
    Yes, I saw the thread and your reply. I have only been Mr. Coonskin once, I think, though we rode with his wife when we did MRT.

I may or may not join them/you -- I have been taking it easy to recover from a groin strain (ouch) -- the last thing I want is for something to pop!

'Course I could always take my "easy" bike (i.e. the one with gears).
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_fsr
    Where are these exactly in the Mt. Hood Wilderness? I saw pics in another thread and then in MBA, it looks like they'll be on the list of new rides to check out either over the winter or next year.

I've look all over MTBR & PUMP, neither trail seems to be listed. Any help? Thanks.
    Trail 518 is the Dry Ridge Trail in Mt. Hood NF off the Clackamas River out of Roaring River CG, just east of Estacada near the Clackamas River Trail. The trail is a glorified hiking trail IMO, but don't say that to "Poppa #1", he may scold you like he did me.

The trail rapidly climbs and traverses up into pristine, somewhat low traveled territory with sk no more than 12" wide in a lot of sections that eventually connects to trail 517 to Grouse Pointe and eventually all the way up to Frazier Rock and Serene Lakes. Due to initial steep grades up many switchbacks (which a lot are considered too steep to ride for most), some hike-a-bike mossy rock sections and tons of blowdown on the upper sections of trail (due to low trail maintenance) it makes it not the most bike friendly trail in my opinion, and I am all about fast, techy, challenging terrain. I rode it last in July this year, and there was a tree down almost every 50' after above the first 4miles of trail with swarms of "skeeters".

It is somewhat remote, pretty terrain that is considered more of an 'adventure ride" in my book. But you will have to check it out for yourself to see.

JG