mtbr member

Looking for someplace to practice drops and skinnies in the Portland area.

I'm looking for someplace in the metro area that I can find a larger pair of testicles, preferably someplace close in town. I know post Canyon and Syncline have features, but I'd prefer to not drive that far just to session a drop or two. I know about the dirt jumps near Rocky Butte (if they are still there) and this isn't really what I'm looking for. Something like the features at the Colonnade Bike Park in Seattle or the Castle Rock bike Park are what I'd like to see. I've never been to the Lumberyard, but from what I've seen in videos and pictures, it's not what I'm looking for either.

I'm not looking for anything big, just something that will allow me to progress up to drops similar to the "Rock Drop" at Sandy Ridge. I've seen plenty of people make it look easy, but every time I look over it, I chicken out.

I've also thought about building something at my house, but my wife put a stop that quick.

Maybe someday the Gateway Green project will get built.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 07-22-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Making fat cool since '71
    Sorry I do not have any metro knowledge, but Lumberyard isn't what you've described. Let's go to Blackrock. I'll go with you. We'll get you rolling over stuff bigger than the rock at Sandy in no time.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm right there with the OP. I walk around a smallish jump or drop and go yeah, I can do that. Then on the approach, the brakes go on and I'm done. Then I console my sorry a$$ by telling myself that being 55 means you don't have to everything the youngsters do. Doesn't really work that well.

Too Much Fun

Looking for someplace to practice drops and skinnies in the Portland area.

Stubb Stewart? The free ride area had a couple of drops that might work for you.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    +1 for blackrock. They have a really nice progression from 1' to a 5 footer with perfect transitions.
    Also if you can make the trip, the skills clinics Evergreen puts on at Duthie are well worth it.

mtbr member
    Stub Stewart is really coming along and closer than Black Rock - highly recommend it. For skinnies you should just practice on curbs. I can't think of many in the direct Portland area. Family Man is your best bet out at Post.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not sure about any more local spots than the ones already listed. I'm also by no means an expert at freeride, but I can provide some advice on the learning process.

My number one recommendation is to take a lesson with Fluidride (Simon Lawton) at Duthie Hill next time you make it to Seattle. Duthie has a really awesome range of high quality jumps and drops from intro to fairly big, so its a good place to learn. I didn't think much of a lesson until I took one--it made a HUGE difference. My wife is now able to hit well built 4-6 foot ladder drops, where she was nervous on a 18" drop a year ago.

Otherwise, always remember that not all jumps/drops are created equal. For Oregon, the stuff at Blackrock is sublime--perfectly built and very natural feeling. Family man at Post Canyon is also really well built, but I have heard that the bigger stuff up higher is much trickier to hit correctly. Rock Drop at Sandy, unfortunately, is not that well built. It isn't that big, but it has a nasty little kick at the lip that has sent a number of folks over the bars. You'll be fine if you do some practice on safer jumps, but don't get discouraged if you find it hard.

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody for the tips and thanks ImaKlyde the offer to ride. I always forget about Stubb Stewart, I've been out there once on a build day and short ride. I'm on the east side of town, so the Castle Rock bike park is about the same distance for me and has more to ride.

I took a class about 5-6 years ago. I think my biggest problem is I just don't ride these types of features often enough. I was hoping to find someplace local to play around, so when I'm out on the trail, I could push the limits a little further and be more comfortable.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    I second the Riding Curbs in the area. Top of Tabor has a nice long curb that winds downhill to the riders left. if you can ride it up the hill, i'll be impressed.

Also I know your wife put a stop to it, but building some small skinnies in your back yard will really help. A few years ago I put together some 2x4's and made some movable skinnies. I think they totaled around 25 feet. I rode em all the time, and my skinny riding improved dramatically. I've moved several times since and have never put em back together again.

As for drops... I have nothing for you. If you find something on the eastside let me know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That curb on Tabor is a good one. Nice suggestion sgf2.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I go out on urban rides sometimes when I don't feel like driving an hour to good trails. There are tons of drops and features all over town. You just have to be creative and not mind drops to flat.