Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Looking for riding partner or group I can join for after work weekday rides...

I am looking for someone who lives on the west side of Portland that is interested in riding after 3:00 pm during the week. I am planning on some night rides also after daylight savings. I primarily ride Tillamook but am willing to try new area's depending on time.... message me if you are interested.
    Last edited by yamaha249; 10-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Really? Nobody rides after work on the westside during the week? I see cars leaving the Tillamook with bikes on them during the week... No body????

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Lots of MTB riders I approach in PDX to see if they hit the trails don't use these types of sites looking for groups, they either have a ride partner, go to the trails alone looking to ride with other groups, or by ones self. Most people I've talked to about PB, MTBr and RideMonkey forums have never heard of the sites and stated that they wouldn't use them anyways. However, pretty much where ever you want to go there are going to be friendly riders that will let you tag along, because everyone in the area knows it's safer to ride with other people, than to ride alone.

Also, this time of year, at 3pm you have about 2-1/2 to 3 hours of light left, so most people are just going to go home. When I get my new fork that will allow me to be aggressive, I'll hit you up. However, I live in Hawthorne, but would head out that way anyways. I finished building my four hour 900 lumen bike light, so a night time forest ride, off season, sounds like a good time, or a hospital visit.

Even the NWTA forum rates low on people seeking ride partners... err.

--Best thing to do is just post in several forums, or maybe just the forum you like more than the others, that you'll 'be [here] and this [time] if anyone wants to meet up. PM if you need a ride and have gas'.
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have been riding with a few riding partners over the years but everyone of them is hot and cold, they will ride with me for 6 months straight then not touch their bike again for 6 months to a year then I ride with them and they are out of shape and I may as well ride alone anyways. I have been riding on and off alone in the Tillamook for over 10 years now, sometimes at night, and rarely do I ever come across others on the trail during the week, and I never have came across any one else during my solo night rides. I am just hoping to break the cycle of riding alone for the next six months and find some one or a group to go out with. Especially at night! I am hoping to go out next Tuesday to the west end of the Wilson after work...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Me

I have seen you on some of my epic hikes out there. I do not have a real mountain bike, so, I cannot ride the WRT yet! I'm working on it though.
    Last edited by RogueMayhem; 10-19-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Punctilious

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha249 View Post
    Really? Nobody rides after work on the westside during the week? I see cars leaving the Tillamook with bikes on them during the week... No body????
    I do but almost always ride alone. Pretty much since 1995 I have worked in Forest Grove or Hillsboro and ridden all the westside trails Monday nights after work. That's pretty much going to end though as I'm retiring at the end of this month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ... next Tuesday...
    Unfortunately, I wont have my replacement fork until after this next Friday, but after that I'm down. I've only been to the Tillamook once and it was 3 years ago and both of us didn't know the trails.

BTW; I ride HT, I know DH bikes go faster down hill, do you have a FS bike and would riding with an aggressive HT rider slow you down? I ride daily, though my core strength could use some work!

Yeah, I posted late as I've only been home from work for about 40 minutes. Stanfords was really busy tonight!

I might as well ask, what is your ride style and what model is your horse?
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueMayhem View Post
    ... the WRT...
    What type of bike is that trail suited for?
    Observe, report.

Metalheadbikerider
    Come to the NWTA meeting on the last Tuesday of the month at Hopworks on SE Powell. You should hopefully be able to meet some ride partners that way. And, free beer! Check the calendar on nw-trail.org for full details.
    Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    What type of bike is that trail suited for?
    Well I have a 10 year old China made Iron Horse with ~5,000 + miles that I have used for commuting, so, it really is a heavy piece of junk. I think any newer HT Mnt bike would be best on the WRT because the trail is in descent shape & not really any extreme down hill stuff. But I'm sure FS bikes would be easier on us older folks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Roguemayhem, Long time no see, or shall we say chat. It would be great to go on a MTB ride with you, I would be into hiking but unfortunately my knee doesn't let me do too much hiking. I think you should get a full suspension, I have had every kind of MTB bike imaginable including many hardtails, even a 29'er hardtail, and nothing compares to a full suspension mountain bike, up or downhill. Especially some of the new suspension designs including DW, VPP etc. Keep in touch and we can connect and talk in more detail when it comes time to make a bike purchase.

PDXmark, I ride a full suspension all mt style of bike. I ride DH on my DH bike. I ride XC on my all mt bike. I like epic all mt rides. I just rode a section of the Umpqua river trail today. Last weekend I rode Upper middle fork out of Oakridge. Those are some of my favorite type of XC rides. Epic views, technical single track, and rewarding downhills. I am not a beginner - I have been riding offroad motorized and nonmotorized since I was 10. I am seeking riding partners who enjoy a similar type of ride.

Vancbiker - Bummer that you won't be riding out here any longer. More than likely I've seen you if you've ridden out there that long. Would have liked to have connected. Are you retiring from work or mtb? Or both?

free-agent - Thanks for the lead... hopefully I can make it over there sometime soon.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Vancbiker - Bummer that you won't be riding out here any longer. More than likely I've seen you if you've ridden out there that long. Would have liked to have connected. Are you retiring from work or mtb? Or both?
    Retiring from work. Time for more mtb and other outdoor fun. I live in Vancouver so it will be less frequent that I hit the west side and when I do it will be during the day.

Metalheadbikerider
    Cheers! Come by even if you can't make it by the start time. There are a lot of great folks at the meetings to hang with, and let me know if you have any questions about the organization. You can PM me on here or brianb@nw-trail.org
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Too Much Fun

...in the same boat... Few consisent riding buddies here...

I'm suffering a bit from the same issue that others do: riding buddies are too busy to consistently hit the trail with me, hot/cold, too random with schedules and not riding enough to handle tougher tech rides.

It's a sign of mid-life when schedules and life get tighter and trickier. I'm guilty of it too sometimes, but I also am willing to pay the price and either hit the trails for Dawn Patrol rides (5:30-7am at trailhead) or night rides if I can't get out during the day or weekend.

So I ride solo a lot. Which is fine, but it's also limiting in a lot of ways and can be dangerous on longer remote epics. Needless to say, I'm always looking for other riders to head out with.

Anyway, I've been to a few of the NWTA meetings, and I'll make it to the next one and see if I can rally some folks for regular rides. There's also the Columbia River MTB group on Meetup, which looks promising.

There are so many riders in OR that this "problem" sometimes seems silly to me, but that's life sometimes.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Come to the NWTA meeting on the last Tuesday of the month at Hopworks on SE Powell. You should hopefully be able to meet some ride partners that way. And, free beer! Check the calendar on nw-trail.org for full details.
    Cheers!
    I missed the last two because of work and have ask boss off for this meeting on the 29th. So I'll be there!

@Yamaha; My 2011 Commencal XS was stolen from me in 2012, out of my house. I didn't even get to have that bike a full year, and it was taken by someone I thought was a friend. He's in jail for 3 years now for being part of a bike theft ring, but unfortunately, to get the lock off my frame, he/they cut the frame. When the police showed me my bike they confiscated from him, I actually shed tears. This idiot cut the back stays to remove the lock, instead of just removing the pivot bolts and removing the lock, as I didn't feed the lock through the front triangle that one time. I still have the front of the frame and the shocks with it, but I need to get a rear end for it and when I contacted Commencal they were out of the rear triangles from my size frame on the XS. Now Commencal is telling me they are not producing that part in the size I need any longer and don't have that part on back stock. So I think I'm left with half a FS bike.

I was able to salvage all the components and have put some on my Giant Boulder(cheap ride for now, $170 used), along with the wheels from my commencal. I've taken it down some pretty knarly stuff and have had a great time taking it as fast as I can down XC and what I call HT/DH. Though, I wont be able to go anywhere near as quick down a hill with the HT as one could with a FS.

I've gone out with some people that I didn't know, who I met at some trails, who have some really nice FS bikes, and have tagged along. I have found that there are just some areas and conditions were an FS will smoke an HT. So based on this and your long history of motocross, I'll most likely just be eating your dust, but will always have you in my sights. If you're okay with this, after I get my replacement fork, I'd be more than honored to learn some things from you and pay attention to your capability on a bike in order to better myself and my capability. Though again, if you're ridding FS and am a seasoned rider and don't think I could keep up with you, and don't want to deal with that, that is okay. I wouldn't want someone slowing down my good time either.

So I guess the real question is, are you about going as fast as you can?

... Because I am!
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have lots of friends who ride, but all of us ride solo 95% of the time. Wish it were not the case, but between wives, kids, jobs, house projects, travelling, and other hobbies, the chance of even two of us having the same couple hour window available is next to none. Even a Saturday ride is almost impossible. Damn life gets in the way every time!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Benja55, So are u available for rides during the week after 3:00 and sometimes an epic on weekends?

mtbr member
    I've wondered why NWTA doesn't lead rides. If you look at their calendar, it's empty.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Metalheadbikerider
    Good question, OHM. I would say that the NWTA is all of us, so a better question might be-Why aren't WE leading more rides for others? Why aren't different people taking the lead on getting a weekly ride started? The Board is always willing to support efforts like this, in a variety of ways. They just need to be asked.
    Just my two cents.

Too Much Fun

Good job! "Some must lead so that others may follow..."

Isn't that how the bumper sticker goes?

Good question, OHM. I would say that the NWTA is all of us, so a better question might be-Why aren't WE leading more rides for others?
    Well I guess that's the truth of it. Can anyone with an account post rides on the NWTA calendar? Maybe I'll just start posting up when I'm riding and see who can make it.
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun
    Benja55, So are u available for rides during the week after 3:00 and sometimes an epic on weekends?
    After 3pm is tough for me, due to work schedule and kid schedule. Weekends are pretty do-able for rides, both big and small. I tend to try to get out early, partly because I'm an early riser and partly because it allows me to keep a good hunk of the day for the fam.

I also will do dawn patrol rides at Sandy during the week, but those get fewer during the ski season. I will typically be at the top of the Sandy climb by 7am, back in PDX by 9:30am.

Thankfully, the kids are starting to ride now, and the Mrs is tip-toeing into it as well.

"Know hope" as they say.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Good question, OHM. I would say that the NWTA is all of us, so a better question might be-Why aren't WE leading more rides for others? Why aren't different people taking the lead on getting a weekly ride started? The Board is always willing to support efforts like this, in a variety of ways. They just need to be asked.
    Just my two cents.
    I've asked several times why NWTA doesn't lead rides and received the same response that you have given. Ultimately, I'm indifferent if NWTA leads rides or not, I prefer to ride solo, but it does seems like there are people that would benefit from this, and the club would benefit too.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Metalheadbikerider
    If, by NWTA, you mean the Board of Directors, then I can say with confidence that they are overwhelmed with the tasks they have to deal with. If you don't mean the BOD, that leaves the rest of us. The BOD have done outreach campaigns to try and get more people to lead rides, some have worked and some have not. Having spoken with BOD members, they know the benefit and importance of having more rides.
    There was some guided rides for Trail Fest, but there is currently no weekly ride. Let me know if you have any ideas for ways to get more people to step into the role. I would be happy to forward them on to the Board.
    If anyone is interested in leading a ride, here are the forms and checklists to get you started: Forms, Waivers & Receipts | Northwest Trail Alliance
    You can communicate the ride in the forums on nw-trail.org and/or on the NWTA facebook page.
    Or, if you want help with communications for a more regular ride, email the Board here for support (or any other ideas you may have): info@nw-trail.org
    They are very approachable and supportive, especially when it comes to ideas that will inject more fun into the organization. We all realize it is a need. It just takes some more people with ideas and motivation to make it happen.

Too Much Fun
    FWIW, I'm going to hit Syncline tomorrow, early-ish. Do a few big laps I think.
    - -benja- -

Metalheadbikerider
    Well, OHM, I'm changing the NWTA meeting for next week to address your point. It's a good one and it needs to be addressed. We need more people to take on this role, so I am going to focus part of the meeting on it. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast