mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Looking for Riding Partner: (1) Aug 5th @ McKenzie River (2) Aug 7th @ N. Umpqua

I will be traveling to the Central Oregon region for six days from the 4th to the 9th of August.

I'm an upper intermediate rider who thoroughly enjoys the intense NY-metro area mountains which feature ubiquitous rock and tight single track - a solid all-mountain experience. Thus far my plan is to ride McKenzie River Trail on Aug. 5th , North Umpqua on the 7th and Oakridge (Alpine-Tire Trail) on the 8th. Naturally open to any and all recommendations.

First time riding out west and would thoroughly enjoy linking up with other interested party to ride any trail noted above.

Average ride 4-6 hours.

Afric Pepperbird
    I can't make it, but please be sure to post your thoughts post-ride. I'd like to see how we compare to the NY metro area riding.

mtbr member

Re: Looking for Riding Partner: (1) Aug 5th @ McKenzie River (2) Aug 7th @ N. Umpqua

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I can't make it, but please be sure to post your thoughts post-ride. I'd like to see how we compare to the NY metro area riding.
    Same here.

I am riding the upper half of the North Umpqua trail on August 3rd..... I am not positive but may be able to make the Mac on the 5th. I'll shoot you a PM if I can swing it.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for your response to me earlier post. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I will be more than happy to contrast and compare with the riding we do in the NY tri-state area at Blue Mountain (Peekskill, NY), Sprain Ridge (Yonkers, NY), Graham Hills (Pleasantville, NY) Ringwood (Milford, NJ), Waywayanda (West Milford, NJ) and, although quite a bit further out, the Saratoga Springs Trail (Saratoga Springs) north of Albany.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    Same here.

I am riding the upper half of the North Umpqua trail on August 3rd..... I am not positive but may be able to make the Mac on the 5th. I'll shoot you a PM if I can swing it.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.
    Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing from you in the event that one of the dates works for you.

mtbr member
    Are you flying into Eugene or Portland? I may be able to do MRT with you on the 5th but I'm in Portland and not an early riser. I guess I could camp out down there Sunday night.

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Are you flying into Eugene or Portland? I may be able to do MRT with you on the 5th but I'm in Portland and not an early riser. I guess I could camp out down there Sunday night.

Cheers,

G

Thanks for the note. I will be picking up a bike in Bend on Sunday (late afternoon) and camping out near the MRT on Sunday evening. Evidently there is one shuttle which leaves at 9:30am on Monday morning which I was aiming to join. If you don't think a shuttle is necessary then I could meet you later in the morning as well, but from the sound of it the shuttle sounds pretty convenient.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    Shoot, I can tell you about the comparisons between NY and Oregon. I lived out in Westchester for a few years not too long ago. Rode Blue and Sprain regularly. As well as frequent trips out to Mt Creek's Diablo Freeride Park to stretch out my big bike legs. The biggest difference, I could be at a trailhead in less than 30 minutes from my place in NY, shoot, sprain was like 15 minutes away (I lived in Tarrytown). Out here, damn near takes me an hour plus to get anywhere good.

I loved those nice long steep rock slabs out there. There's a few at Blue I hit all the time. To get those, I have to go north of the border to Canada (which isn't a bad thing, the North Shore and Whistler are just plain awesome). A big difference here is the hills, back east i'd do laps for hours where I was climbing then descending then climbing again, here you have big mountains and that means climbing for an hour or more first then its all down from there.. I never used my TALAS out there, but here, almost every ride i'll crank down the fork.

I could go on and on.. but riding's riding, I had just as much fun out there as I do out here. The topography's so different between the two places the trails always end up making the most of the terrain that's surrounding them.

You are going to love MRT its a classic.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds like a spot on comparative of the trails - thanks for putting your thoughts out there as a former NY rider. Rode Blue last week - It's as engaging as always. I'll certainly chime in as well after I complete my week riding in Oregon. Greatly appreciated. And thanks for the positive feedback about MRT. I'd be curious to learn what you think of North Umpqua and Oakridge. And if were to only choose one to ride, which would that be?

mtbr member
    Ashland, for SURE! Best in OR from what I've ridden (I've been here 15 years).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Well my shock blew up today; it was failing already - actually had a work order in with PUSH but thought I could squeeze in a couple more rides. So I won't be joining for MRT. If you want to ride Ashland, Black Rock or Post Canyon send me your number. My FR bike is running strong!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ouzo View Post
    Sounds like a spot on comparative of the trails - thanks for putting your thoughts out there as a former NY rider. Rode Blue last week - It's as engaging as always. I'll certainly chime in as well after I complete my week riding in Oregon. Greatly appreciated. And thanks for the positive feedback about MRT. I'd be curious to learn what you think of North Umpqua and Oakridge. And if were to only choose one to ride, which would that be?
    I hate to say it being I'm born and raised in Oregon... I've never ridden Oakridge or the NUT...