mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Looking for riding friend/groups near Hillsboro.

I moved to Hillsboro about 8 months ago and have gone to quite a few local riding areas. However, I have not really met anyone at trailheads and the people I work with are not interested in mountain biking.
    I ride mainly SS and I am a fairly good rider. I also like to ride my SS road bike when I can.
    Does anybody know of any local riding groups or of another forum where I might find people to ride with? I don't mind riding alone but sometimes it would be fun to have someone along for the ride. This would go for people who like to do long and difficult road rides on the SS also.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    SS=Single Speed, or Slope Style?

I have a small group of buddies, (3 of us) that ride on the weekend, the guy is new to it all, the other is a DH rider, OK at XC, I'm just pudgy and have broken to may bones back on the east coast. We're hitting up Sandy Ridge or Black Rock on Sunday.

Obviously Single

Good job! Ride with Me!

I live in the country south of Hillsboro, so I know what you mean. I spend most of my time on my Single Speed, and there just don't seem to be as many Single Speeders here as there are in other places (like CO).

Short answer: check out Northwest Trail Alliance. They are the main Portland MTB club. I guess I should say "we", not "they" ... But even a good bike club can't always find riding buddies for you, and one of the things NWTA needs to work on a bit is outreach, particularly in the suburbs.

So what does that mean for you? I'd be glad to go riding with you! I have been riding lately with a friend that just turned to the light from the dark side, i.e. he's a roadie. From Hillsboro, the best riding area this time of year, IMHO, is Tillamook, as the forest handles rain well. All the other riders are on geared (usually full squish) bikes, but I usually prefer the simplicity of the Single ... but all bike types are welcome, though the trails are always XC that we ride.

We are planning a ride Sunday, but I ride every weekend. I even ride around my house, in the country, during the week. I usually ride my Single Speed, but I try to mix it up.

So join us some time, or show up for a NWTA meeting some time, and introduce yourself. (I should be there for most of the meetings this year -- it's in my contract.)

Let's Ride!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    I live in Beaverton and usually ride my SS out at Stub Stewart at least once a week. Message me sometime of you want to head out there.

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by UzziDH View Post
    I live in Beaverton and usually ride my SS out at Stub Stewart at least once a week. Message me sometime of you want to head out there.
    Uzzi: Interesting. Do you ever ride DH out there? I know Joe R has created a few really nice downhill trails. The XC out there could use a little expansion, but they are working on that. Do you usually ride out there during the week or the weekend? I'm trying to get a better feel for how much those trails are used.

If you are interested, I happen to know the Bike Patrol at Stub is looking for a few good MTBers ... And when you patrol, you get free entry.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Yea, Lee-Man I've been pretty involved in the building of the DH trails and the group building them (WTF). Joe and his group are expanding the XC loop to connect the South trail system. I believe they work on the first Saturday of the month. I have Thursday's off so I usually start my day on my SS with a sunrise ride at stub. On the weekends I normally ride at places like Sandy, Ski-Bowl, Syncline, Post, and Black Rock. I've never had my DH bike at Stub, I usually only ride it at places like Black Rock, Thrilliam, Ravens and Whistler. Joe has me signed up for the partol training next month. If you ever want to meet up for a sunrise ride at stub let me know.

mtbr member
    How is the terrain at Stub Stewart, both in terms of steepness and ground conditions. Steep? Muddy? I'd like to check it out sometime.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the replies.
    LeeMan, I plan on doing Jones Creek to Elk Creek, out and back, early Saturday on my geared bike before it rains and then maybe Jones Creek to Keenig on the SS Sunday if you're interested.
    I've done Jones to Elk before on the SS and it's a killer but Jones to Keenig is perfect for the SS. I can switch the days and adjust times if you'd like.
    Back to back days will be tough but that's what it's about.
    Let me know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterryh View Post
    How is the terrain at Stub Stewart, both in terms of steepness and ground conditions. Steep? Muddy? I'd like to check it out sometime.
    Personally, I think Stub is my favorite place to ride SS. It doesn't have mile long climbs but it has a lot of challenging climbs. It does get muddy after a lot of rain but it's usually good to go a day after heavy rain. We spend a lot of time building during the winter so we usually take care of most of the spots that hold water. I can only think of a few spots that are soft during the winter. Most of the trails that have a season or two on them stay firm and drain well. The stuff we are building now and the XC connector are still very soft. Once the trail opens (hopefully this summer) and it gets some traffic it should pack in nicely and harden up. The freeride trails are really good right now just be careful if you go on the wooden features as they can be slippery with a coating of mud on your tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow View Post
    I moved to Hillsboro about 8 months ago and have gone to quite a few local riding areas. However, I have not really met anyone at trailheads and the people I work with are not interested in mountain biking.
    I ride mainly SS and I am a fairly good rider. I also like to ride my SS road bike when I can.
    Does anybody know of any local riding groups or of another forum where I might find people to ride with? I don't mind riding alone but sometimes it would be fun to have someone along for the ride. This would go for people who like to do long and difficult road rides on the SS also.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    NWTA as some have suggested is the local club, COTA in Bend and DOD in Eugene are all great places to find people to ride with. The other options that I'm aware of are Columbia River Mountain Bikers at

Columbia River Mountain Bikers (Portland, OR) - Meetup

or Portland Off Road Navigators

Calendar - Portland Off Road Navigators

or Salem Oregon Mountain Bikers Association

Salem Oregon Mountain Bike Association(SOMBA) (Salem, OR) - Meetup

My experience with mountain bikers is that no matter what group you hook up with them through you can always find someone to ride with. I do most my riding in the mid valley but do get up that way some and am always willing to ride with new peeps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Portland Off Road Navigators? P.O.R.N. lol...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch McGee View Post
    Portland Off Road Navigators? P.O.R.N. lol...
    That is a good one! But not as funny as IMBLA....I'll let you figure it out. I'm not a member I swear....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Eeeewww...

mtbr member
    I'm in Hillsboro. I just bought a SS DJ bike and plan on riding trails/street/park. I don't have my lungs or my legs back yet, but would like to get out and try the trails at Stub Stewart. If anyone has patience for a slow guy I'm always up for a ride.
    Last edited by Deacon71; 03-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.