Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Looking for recommendations for good a shop to build DH Bike

I just ordered a DH frame and all the goods to go with it so I am looking for recommendations for a good shop to build it. I live in Beaverton, but ok with driving to a good shop I can trust. I know, I should be able to build it myself.. Wish I could, but Iím at the mercy of the local shops. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

troubled economist
    http://cyclepathnw.com/

They specialize in custom builds. While not DH in particular, I can't say I've heard anything but good things about their service. Just up MLK a ways N of Burnside. A buddy bought a Titus El Guapo there (custom build) and I've had a wheelset built there.

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/company-info

These guys I've never used for service, but they are a good local shop, too. I'd give them a shout and see what they can do... I've used them just once for purchase, but had a good experience, and they like big bikes. On the other side of town (Milwaukie), though.

Just a couple that I'd start with, but there are plenty of compentent wrenches in this town.

YMMV.

PS- What's the frame/build?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I appreciate the feedback. I will give these shops a shout. Still a little new to the area so not real familiar with the local shops.

I am building a Canfield Brothers Jedi. Pretty much all Saint group, Fox 40, and running the new Elka shock. Should have it next week hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by toowacky
    http://cyclepathnw.com/

They specialize in custom builds. While not DH in particular, I can't say I've heard anything but good things about their service. Just up MLK a ways N of Burnside. A buddy bought a Titus El Guapo there (custom build) and I've had a wheelset built there.

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/company-info

These guys I've never used for service, but they are a good local shop, too. I'd give them a shout and see what they can do... I've used them just once for purchase, but had a good experience, and they like big bikes. On the other side of town (Milwaukie), though.

Just a couple that I'd start with, but there are plenty of compentent wrenches in this town.

YMMV.

PS- What's the frame/build?
    Last edited by jimi1114; 07-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Jimmy at Fat Tire is as good as they come for service... they've done many services for myself and several of my riding friends and 3 complete builds from scratch... highly recommended...

only minus is they are pretty busy so service can take a bit.... I guess thats the problem when your good... everyone knows it...

mtbr member
    ^ and way overpriced

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I don't think I've ever seen anything but DH bikes in Ride This' shop. Very DH oriented shop,helpful staff thats full of knowledge.
    When I first got my DH bike I went in there asking all kinds of stupid questions and they answered them gladly without making me feel like an idiot.
    I've never used them for service, but judging by the number and caliber of bikes in there, I know somebody is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you don't mind the drive, I'd recommend Santiam Bicycle in Salem. I've seen custom DH and freeride bikes they've built, they sponsor racers, and always did good wrenching for me and reasonable with costs. I haven't been there is a few years since moving up to the Portland area, but they are the top of my list. If that is too far, Dave with Olsen's in Forest Grove knows his DH/FR bikes and components.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Give Phillip of Cayuse Cycles a call. Phillip definitely knows his stuff and is a great guy to boot. He does a lot of builds with Rocky Mountain and Tomac frames.

1837 Willamette Falls Dr
    West Linn, OR 97068
    ph: 503-342-6168
    fax: 503-342-6187
    info@cayusecycles.com
    panem et circenses

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    I am building a Canfield Brothers Jedi. Pretty much all Saint group, Fox 40, and running the new Elka shock. Should have it next hopefully.
    No, you are not building it.
    Seriously, you should try to build it on your own or at least watch whoever builds your bike. So many things to work on on a top shelf DH bike even after it is build. If you have to go to a shop everytime you need some wrenching it gets spendy fast! Not to mention those situations where you destroy stuff on Saturday evening, want to ride on Sunday but no shop is open anymore.

That said, Ride-This is probably your best bet (closest). Other than that, Santiam in Salem or Full Cycles in Corvallis have the knowledge to put a big bike together. Mechanics in all the mentioned shops ride and race DH bikes.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Shite! if you want to pay me; I'll come build your bike. Thats half the fun of getting a new bike!!! Putting all the "Cool shite" together. Thats a technical term. You really should learn to wrench on your own bike.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for all the replies... I really appreciate it. I know I should be able to do this myself. I probably have all the tools I need. I will talk to a couple of the shops to see what I need, get some insight and maybe give it a go myself. Worst comes to worst I can always take it in if I get stuck.

You guys are awesome, thanks again.

troubled economist
    Regardless, it's gonna be a sick build. Jealous!

Also, keep in mind that UBI will be opening a campus soon in Portland, and that would be a good place to take a class to help you learn to maintain that rig.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick
    Shite! if you want to pay me; I'll come build your bike. Thats half the fun of getting a new bike!!! Putting all the "Cool shite" together. Thats a technical term. You really should learn to wrench on your own bike.
    Couldn't agree more.

Drive to Ashland... I'll build it, and give it a good test ride too!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Steve Dallas wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueballs
    Jimmy at Fat Tire is as good as they come for service... they've done many services for myself and several of my riding friends and 3 complete builds from scratch... highly recommended...

only minus is they are pretty busy so service can take a bit.... I guess thats the problem when your good... everyone knows it...

100% agreed. Two builds for me, and fantastic service!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Went into Ride-This yesterday and talked to Matt. These guys seem to be really knowledgeable and are definitely helpful. Also, the best rate to put a bike together as well.

Let's roll.
    If anyone knows DH bikes (not that they're really all that different from any other bike--just slacker frame geo and different suspension, for the most part), Ride-This would. They usually have a team at Skibowl and Willy Pass, if I'm not mistaken.

And, like others said, before you give it all to a shop to build, give it a shot. You'll probably need some help with the headset (if it's not already pressed) and maybe the bottom bracket if you don't have the right wrench. Everything else should be fairly easy. Plus, it give you more time with your new baby.

Post pics when you're done. Jedi's are amazing bikes.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    Post pics when you're done. Jedi's are amazing bikes.
    Ditto, would be nice to see the finished product... along w/ feedback on your experience w/ RT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You can count on it. Pictures/ride report/CS at RT to follow.

I am still really leaning and giving the build a go myself. I do want to learn how to do work on my bike myself. I will see if I can get RT to press in the headset and I think I may have a tool for the bottom bracket. If not RT will get the job.

mtbr member
    build it yourself! When i was first really getting intense into biking i built my bike (turner 5 spot), I even built the wheels, which is not half as hard a people make it out to be, 3 years later and i have never had to true them and they roll perfect. The only thing the average person needs help with out of house is getting their BB shell faced and the headset installed, unless you have the tools for it available. Also learn to rebuild your shocks when they need servicing, its not hard and there are tons of online pictorial instructions out there.
    Building and maintaining your bike is part of the fun of biking i think!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Third vote for Jimmy - will always take the time to walk you through things if you need it

SNOWRIDER
    Def. Ride-this, Clark and the boys will take great care of you!
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

troubled economist
    Hey Jimi, got any pics of that Canfield bling yet?

Big Red
    I'll do it for you...and i also live in beaverton...built several bikes stop by and ill show you my "shop"

mtbr member
    Hopefully he didn't get it built at Cyclpath.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had Ride-This put it together. Those guys are great!

Had it out last Sunday for a few runs at Ski Bowl and so far so good. Need to dial the suspension in, but this bike is going to be fun. Off to Whistler tomorrow. If someone could let me know how to attach pictures I would put a few up. Every time I try it says the files failed/exceed size limit. I have the camera on the smallest it will go but still no luck. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast