Old & slow

Looking for Oakridge Info

I am thinking about going to Oakridge over Labor Day weekend. Will the trails be packed? I am also looking for trail suggestions. I like flowing single track. I'm an old fat man so I am not looking for super technical and mega uphill grind fests trails. Any suggestions on camping spots in the area?

Thanks,
    Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Camped at the Salmon Creek Campground a few months ago. Kind of expensive, but reasonably well kept and right on the river. Quite a few campgrounds on the Middle Fork Willamette which are nice. Most of the sweet trails in this area have 2000-3000 ft climbs on gravel roads if ridden as a loop from town, but if you have a vehicle and a driver you can shuttle many of them and limit the climbing. Ex: Alpine Trail, Lawler Trail. Riding the Middle Fork trail might be a good one, up to ~30 miles of flowy river trail but you'll need a shuttle to do it all or you can just ride out/back. Maybe camp on MF and ride out/back from camp?

Could also call Randy at Oregon Adventures to arrange a shuttle.
    http://www.oregon-adventures.com/

I imagine you'd see people on the more popular trails but they shouldn't be packed so as to make it not enjoyable.
    NW MTB Addict

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjim
    I am thinking about going to Oakridge over Labor Day weekend. Will the trails be packed? I am also looking for trail suggestions. I like flowing single track. I'm an old fat man so I am not looking for super technical and mega uphill grind fests trails. Any suggestions on camping spots in the area?

Thanks,
    Jim
    The trails are never packed (with trail users).

John's advice is good.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll be around please give me a call
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Moon Point! It is about a 30 minute drive outside of Oakridge.
    It is a great shuttle run if you have the vehicles. Drive to the stop unload the bikes and head down.
    If you cant shuttle it, then it would be a long and painful accent on the gravel road.
    There are also local adventure tour companies that shuttle bikers all over the place.
    It is one of the most fun descents I have ever done in my life! (and I have been riding for 15+ years in oregon).
    You will have to ask for exact directions, but it is well well worth it! there is camping in the immediate area also.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Camped at Black Canyon campground last weekend. Nice campground on the river and cheap. We had Randy shuttle us on Alpine and Larison Rock we had a great time. Totally worth it to have someone shuttle you to the top and his prices are great.

mtbr member
    Tracey and I did the gravel road climb to the top of Alpine last summer. It's time-consuming,
    but not too difficult.

The pay-off was well worth the climb!

-- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.