mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Looking for good creek or lake for overnighter w/kids

Hope to get my teens out for an overnight campout on our bikes. Based in Eugene, so something not too far away.

Thinking of a dirt or gravel ride to a creek or lake that's not too buggy in August. Can bring a tent, bug net or shoot for a shelter if one is available.

Any good suggestions? Thanks for the help!

PC
    Jul 2013
    If the Rogue Valley isn't too far, there is some great riding and camping at Applegate Lake SW of Jacksonville. Awesome free dispersed camping along the river up above the lake (swimming holes), and a good variety of MTB trails.
    Better wait till the fires are out, though, the smoke is pretty thick down here this week!
    Last edited by PCinOR; 07-30-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Typos

Afric Pepperbird
    Charlton Lake, near Waldo Lake, is fantastic for this type of camping! Easily accessed via gravel road from the Waldo lake area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Charlton Lake, near Waldo Lake, is fantastic for this type of camping! Easily accessed via gravel road from the Waldo lake area.
    OK, so my evolving campout this week . . . . was thinking camping at Little Cultus, but this comment has me thinking. I'm more inclined to go more primitive if I can have nicer waterfront camping. I have been trying to figure out what the camping / riding potential is in that general area, looking at Taylor / Irish lakes, but it sounds like you would have to drive down to the Charleton/Lemish trail to ride.

So, what is the camping like at Charlton. I'm assuming primitive, which is fine with me, but are there nice sites on the water to park a truck & set up a tent? The camping is more publicized for Taylor/Irish Lakes, and it looks nice in the aerial, but I can't actually see any camp sites at Charlton, and had not found anything specific talking about it until I saw your post.

Riding to the campsite is not an option with my kids . . . must be able to drive the truck there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    To camp lakeside its about a 100yd walk, beautiful little lake with nice camp spots.

The Charlton-Lemish loop can't be beat but might be too much for the kids, an OAB might be a more doable option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jing View Post
    To camp lakeside its about a 100yd walk, beautiful little lake with nice camp spots.

The Charlton-Lemish loop can't be beat but might be too much for the kids, an OAB might be a more doable option.
    Thanks. Definitely not planning on doing the full loop with kiddos. OAB was the plan. If the camping was right at Charlton, was thinking that might be an option. Looks like the camping at Taylor/Irish is closer to the water, but no biking there other than the road (at least I think, right?). Probably heading toward Little Cultus, as the ride up to Deer Lake & Big Cultus would be better for my youngest, plus closer to milkshakes at the resort (if they are still serving them after Labor Day). Anyway, can't wait to get out on the bike and in the canoe!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    By the way, while I'm harassing everyone for info, would Cultus, with the riding and camping there, be favorable to either Hosmer (not sure how good the access is to trails from the campground there, I've done a lot of fishing there, but never rode anywhere near there) or Little Lava?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The MW North from Little Lava is a great single track