mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Looking for beginner/intermediat trail recommendations

Family of 4 (two of them early teens)
    We started mountain biking this spring
    We like to camp and bring our bikes for trail rides (8 to 12 mile loops/out and backs)

Looking for recommendations of some of your favorites that are near campgrounds.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009

Looking for beginner/intermediate trail recommendations

What area are you looking to ride in? Bend is a great place for beginners. Basically anything from the Phil's Trail trailhead is beginner/intermediate. And once the skeeters die back, the Cultus Lake loop is really nice.

I would recommend picking up a couple reference sources:

Kissing the Trail: NW & Central Oregon Mountain Bike Trails
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...RAKAT8ANRSBY5Y

and

Adventure Maps Bend area map:
    http://www.adventuremaps.net/central_oregon_trail_map

Both are also available in local bike shops.

mtbr member
    In bend many camping options, and there is the Dechutes River Trail there which is a great beginner trail. Check out Silver Falls State Park as well.

Afric Pepperbird
    Close to Bend is Sisters, with the best camping in the state! (along the pristine Metolius River). And the Peterson Ridge Trail just south of Sisters is one of the best beginner-type trails I've ever ridden. You'll love it.

Old & slow

Timothy Lake

I like to take beginners to Timothy Lake. I rode there Sat. & had a blast. I forgot how much fun that trail can be. The full loop around the lake is a little over 13 miles. If you want something shorter, ride from the trailhead to the PTC for an 8 mile ride. And that is the easiest section of trail. Past the PTC, the trail gets a little harder but not much. Nothing real technical. The Timothy Lake trail is my 15 year old daughter's favorite trail. There is lots of camping at Timothy Lake. Don't forget a quick dip in Timothy Lake after the ride. It is a great way to get the trail dust off & cool down.

PM me if you want more details.
    Jim

Tree Hugger
    The lower 10 miles of McKenzie River trail sound perfect for you. Camp at Paradise campground, and ride out and back as far as you like.

The lower 11 miles of Middle Fork of the Willamette trail would be great also. There is Sand Prairie campground at the bottom of the trail, and many dispersed spots with RV access upstream along the river. This trail is near Oakridge
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    The lower 10 miles of McKenzie River trail sound perfect for you. Camp at Paradise campground, and ride out and back as far as you like.

The lower 11 miles of Middle Fork of the Willamette trail would be great also. There is Sand Prairie campground at the bottom of the trail, and many dispersed spots with RV access upstream along the river. This trail is near Oakridge
    Or Salmon Creek Falls CG and the Salmon Creek trail (also Oakridge).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thank you everyone for the replies. Maybe we will check out the Oakridge area. We are willing to haul our bikes a short distance to use other trails. Thanks again.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Jah, good trails have been covered. For beginner in the Oakridge area... Flat Creek is really easy, just a lot of vertical feet. Otherwise, Portland's Forest Park and Eugene's Ridgeline trail are really easy, accessible and you'll not need the camping trips. I feel like most trails are really easy, or fairly challenging. Middle ground is hard to find.