Calm like a Bomb

Looking for a All Around Riding Jacket

I am looking for a good all around weather riding jacket. Something I can use on the road bike and also on the mountain bike. Worst riding conditions would be windy 40 degree weather with possible rain.

Jacket should have vents and such in case weather changes..any recommendations?

Mainly Portland, Oregon type riding condtions

mtbr member
    They're a bit pricey but IMO they are the best. http://www.showerspass.com/

Via con tierra.

MattSavage
    These are pretty nice... I've bought a couple Cutter garments from off these guys and Bonktown...

http://www.hucknroll.com/mountainbik...001&mv_pc=R284
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

meatier showers
    I've got a Showers Pass jacket for rain. When it's not raining, I don't like wearing a waterproof garment, I prefer something breathable. I would not consider buying any waterproof jacket that lacked pit zips.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

MattSavage
    Yeah, I second that... I'll wear a full waterproof jacket if its just pissing and blowing... Otherwise i prefer something like a softshell or Gore windblocker. They're plenty breathable and even if they do soak through a bit, you'll still stay warm. Waterproof shells like XCR or other high end water proof materials just don't breathe enough.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I bought this Craft jersey/jacket kind of on a lark at a blowout sale: http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_zo...d=686&bcsex=m#

It has turned out to be my go-to winter garment for road biking, mountain biking and xc skiing. Softshell/breatable mix, 3 back pockets, just breathable enough and just water resistant enough. Not cheap, but deals can be had, especially if you can live with red.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you want an all around jacket, look for something with zip-off sleeves.
    Last edited by nony; 12-06-2009 at 07:08 PM.

ronbo613
    I got a Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket. Reasonably priced, warm, water resistant. For rain I have one of those PVC rain jackets.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    One word...ENDURA. Certainly not for everyone...being so many opinions are out there. I happen to have a bunch of it and it works really well. STEALTH.....best fitting soft shell out there IMO. ....find a dealer near you and check it out. It's designed in Scotland and made in the UK. I think everyone would agree...they have worse weather......
    I also like a lot of Pearl Izumi stuff as well.....for what it's worth.
    Eric

zep
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pintpedaler
    One word...ENDURA. Certainly not for everyone...being so many opinions are out there. I happen to have a bunch of it and it works really well. STEALTH.....best fitting soft shell out there IMO. ....find a dealer near you and check it out. It's designed in Scotland and made in the UK. I think everyone would agree...they have worse weather......
    I also like a lot of Pearl Izumi stuff as well.....for what it's worth.
    Eric
    I agree w/ Eric--the Endura Stealth is a stellar jacket. Make no mistake, you wouldn't want this weather-proof & lightly insulated jacket for warm weather riding. But it's the best I've used, for wet and cool/cold weather (< 60 degrees), both on and off-road. It's rugged, and has plenty of effective vent zips, too, so it's at least as versatile in rapidly changing weather as any of my 'rain jackets', including my Showers Pass.
    Rather pricey, but shop for one in late Spring--I got mine from Excel Sports, at 50% off.
    The Endura Stealth is one of the very few pieces of gear that--after owning it--I would have been happy to pay retail for. For riding year-round in OR, it's about perfect.

Another plus--it does NOT flap during downhill runs or into a headwind.