Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,068

    Longest/tallest continuos climb in Oregon?

    Somebody started a similar thread in the Washington Forum.

    Longest/Tallest continuous climb in WA?

    So what's in Oregon? I've ridden some of them listed in the Washington thread, and some are pretty burly climbs. I'm not sure if Oregon has many that compare.

    The Pioneer Bridal/Cross Town/Timberline to Town Trail combo has to rank in there someplace, it's not tough, but plenty of vert. I assume the Oakridge area has some but I've always used the shuttle service when in town. Bend isn't really known for climbing. Possibly Ashland? The NUT? I did a kick butt ride in the Elkhorns once that I shouldn't mention.

    What else is there?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  2. #2
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,496
    Is this strictly a singletrack climb? No dirt roads or fire roads?

    In Bend I love climbing from near Tumalo Falls up the South Fork Trail to the Swampy shelter. It's a fairly long-ish, sustained climb.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,068
    Any climbing...Singletrack or gravel/dirt roads as long as it's continuous. I even like to ride on paved roads, so I guess throw these in too.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  4. #4
    I should be out riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    939

    Re: Longest/tallest continuos climb in Oregon?

    The gravel climb up the Steen's Mtn loop has to be up there.

    17ish miles of road to do the old version of a creampuff loop is a pretty good climb, with a little more once getting on the trail.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    Xtreme Lounger
    Reputation: steiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,190
    Two years ago I did Lookout Mountain and Round Mountain together (Ochocos). It was 5400 feet of climbing total according to somebody's GPS. I'm not sure how much Lookout Mountain is by itself, but it is brutal. The last mile or two had me in 22x34 and the last 100 yards were like a wall. Everyone got off and pushed that one.

    While not nearly as bad, I think Dog River trail going up to Surveyor's Ridge is a steady grind worth an honorable mention.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    978
    The climb out of Roaring River CG up to the lookout of Serene Lake is about 9miles and 6k. Yeah, I know it's part of Widen's pansie area, but I don't care... you can pontificate to someone else if it makes you feel warm and righteous. Also, the ride from Oakridge TH up hwy35-Dog River-rd4410 is about 16 miles and a few vertical as well. Sand Prairie CG to Timponagas is a long day for sure too.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,235
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    The Pioneer Bridal/Cross Town/Timberline to Town Trail combo has to rank in there someplace, it's not tough, but plenty of vert.
    Longer but about the same vertical and a crazy epic loop...

    Rhododendron up hwy26 to Camp Creek Rd. to Still Creek trail to Still Creek Rd. to Trillium Lake to Gov't Camp to Timberline via West Leg. Then the fun part begins with the reverse of your climb and finishing with some mongo burger and fries at the DQ in Rhody.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    While not nearly as bad, I think Dog River trail going up to Surveyor's Ridge is a steady grind worth an honorable mention.
    That climb is brutal (and I love climbing). Last time I did was August of last year. I was chasing two really fast guys. Ended up straining my IT band so bad that it ended my riding season. Much prefer going down it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Somebody started a similar thread in the Washington Forum.

    Longest/Tallest continuous climb in WA?

    So what's in Oregon? I've ridden some of them listed in the Washington thread, and some are pretty burly climbs. I'm not sure if Oregon has many that compare.

    The Pioneer Bridal/Cross Town/Timberline to Town Trail combo has to rank in there someplace, it's not tough, but plenty of vert. I assume the Oakridge area has some but I've always used the shuttle service when in town. Bend isn't really known for climbing. Possibly Ashland? The NUT? I did a kick butt ride in the Elkhorns once that I shouldn't mention.

    What else is there?
    Not the longest but plenty steep, Starvation Creek to top of Mt. Defiance (5k' in 6 miles)
    Ride On!

  10. #10
    it means 'no problem'
    Reputation: sans soucie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    506
    In my opinion this honor should go to the Fremont Nat'l Rec Trail from Chewaucan Crossing heading South up to Morgan Butte. That, or the segment from Silver Marsh CG to Yamsay Mt. summit. "Continuous" is somewhat subjective, however. These are both pure singletrack.

    That said, I'm sure there's something in the Hell's Canyon / Eagle Cap Wilderness region that trumps em all...
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    82
    Bottom of Dog River up to the top of High Prairie... it's a legit MTB climb w/out highway miles, almost entirely climbing (1 mile of rolling descent) and about 4k' over 12.5 miles.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by phreadi View Post
    Bottom of Dog River up to the top of High Prairie... it's a legit MTB climb w/out highway miles, almost entirely climbing (1 mile of rolling descent) and about 4k' over 12.5 miles.
    I think I posted this already... are you teasing me about the HWY 35 miles? btw, not offended at all.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I think I posted this already... are you teasing me about the HWY 35 miles? btw, not offended at all.
    Ha -- no, I was more thinking about the road miles it takes to get up to Timberline lodge to do the new trail down through crosstown/pioneer Bridal and all that. I've never climbed 35 from oakridge to dog river before climbing Dog River, mostly because the idea of it just scares me.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by phreadi View Post
    Ha -- no, I was more thinking about the road miles it takes to get up to Timberline lodge to do the new trail down through crosstown/pioneer Bridal and all that. I've never climbed 35 from oakridge to dog river before climbing Dog River, mostly because the idea of it just scares me.
    It's never been a problem. Good shoulder, blah, blah, but I always return on Surveyors/Oakridge unless there is a mechanical or a substantial "bonk". I am old and the road warm up feels good before climbing that Dog too. The horrific road version in that area is HWY 35 from Oakridge up to Gunsight, ugh... usually get a headwind to boot.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    82
    I've done Dog up to Bennett Pass once, at the end of a big trail day. Never again.

  16. #16
    Xtreme Lounger
    Reputation: steiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    It's never been a problem. Good shoulder, blah, blah, but I always return on Surveyors/Oakridge ...
    Yep, that's the way I did it too. Gotta warm up on 35 or the Dog will bite you hard. Plus it's nice to drop down to the car and you're done versus the long slog UP 35 to get to the Dog TH at the end.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    978
    I am drinking to that right now. 3 WAY IPA... have a great weekend.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,287
    For longest singletrack climb that I know of, I'll submit the following:

    From the bottom of the tail of 15 Mile (about 3 miles below the bottom of the loop most people ride, very brushy, seldom maintained, but very rideable) up 15 Mile to 450, then continue up 450 to the top.

    It's a long, long slog, and the middle section that includes the two miles before reaching 15 Mile Campground and the last two miles to the top of 450 are pretty darn steep, just to add to the joy!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    337
    Top of Olallie Trail from Bottom of King Castle..... long enough to turn my legs to jello

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    Climb to the summit of Mt Ashland is bigger than all of these. From town it's 22 miles and 6200 ft of gain. Not super hard, but the continuous gain is substantial.

  21. #21
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,652
    The biggest ones I've done are the:

    1. Rhododendron/Trillium Lake/Timberline Lodge/T-line to Town/Crosstown/Pioneer Bridle Trail.

    2. Round Mtn./Lookout Mtn. Loop.

    I'm not sure which was harder. The first was sustained climbing but ride-able the entire distance. The latter was b**ch-ass steep for much of the climb (and hence, a rather nice hike).

  22. #22
    Xtreme Lounger
    Reputation: steiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The biggest ones I've done are the:

    1. Rhododendron/Trillium Lake/Timberline Lodge/T-line to Town/Crosstown/Pioneer Bridle Trail.

    2. Round Mtn./Lookout Mtn. Loop.

    I'm not sure which was harder. The first was sustained climbing but ride-able the entire distance. The latter was b**ch-ass steep for much of the climb (and hence, a rather nice hike).
    The Lookout/Round climb is very punishing not only because of the steepness, but it's psychologically brutal because it keeps getting steeper the closer you get to the top. I can't tell you how relieved I was to get off the bike and walk that last 100 yards. I was absolutely struggling to keep the bike moving up to that point and then when you look up that last part toward the summit you get mentally crushed.

  23. #23
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,652
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    The Lookout/Round climb is very punishing not only because of the steepness, but it's psychologically brutal because it keeps getting steeper the closer you get to the top. I can't tell you how relieved I was to get off the bike and walk that last 100 yards. I was absolutely struggling to keep the bike moving up to that point and then when you look up that last part toward the summit you get mentally crushed.
    Oh totally! As if you're not punished enough, the last 10 feet are the meanest.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjMarS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    111
    Last September a buddy and I rode from Skyliner Sno-Park to Tumalo Falls, up North Fork to Happy Valley via Metolius/Windigo and then connected to Flagline which connects to Swede Ridge Loop. Our plan was to hit South Forth and descend back to our car but my Bro's tubeless tire busted so we finished at Swampy Sno-Park where my sweet wife picked us up. All totalling is was a little over 4300 vert. ft. of climbing (i.e. according to my Garmin Forerunner 310XT)....not too shabby!
    jjMarS

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Not the longest but plenty steep, Starvation Creek to top of Mt. Defiance (5k' in 6 miles)
    I've only done it once on foot and it sucked, even if it was open to bikes, I wouldn't do it again. Maybe a shuttle though.

    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    The climb out of Roaring River CG up to the lookout of Serene Lake is about 9miles and 6k. Yeah, I know it's part of Widen's pansie area, but I don't care... you can pontificate to someone else if it makes you feel warm and righteous.
    How could I forget about this one...Hell of a climb and the last time I rode it I got the worst case of poison oak.

    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    In my opinion this honor should go to the Fremont Nat'l Rec Trail from Chewaucan Crossing heading South up to Morgan Butte. That, or the segment from Silver Marsh CG to Yamsay Mt. summit. "Continuous" is somewhat subjective, however. These are both pure singletrack. ...
    I keep hearing about the Fremont, need to head down there sometime.

    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    For longest singletrack climb that I know of, I'll submit the following:

    From the bottom of the tail of 15 Mile (about 3 miles below the bottom of the loop most people ride, very brushy, seldom maintained, but very rideable) up 15 Mile to 450, then continue up 450 to the top.

    It's a long, long slog, and the middle section that includes the two miles before reaching 15 Mile Campground and the last two miles to the top of 450 are pretty darn steep, just to add to the joy!
    I do enjoy climbing, but for some reason the climb out of 15 Mile always kicks my butt. Your suggestion would add even more misery to my day.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Longest/Tallest continuous climb in WA?
    By Tarekith in forum Washington
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 09:32 AM
  2. The Tallest Skinny Tire?
    By Khing in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM
  3. Longest, most sustained climb in Florida?
    By Bjdraw in forum Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 05:29 AM
  4. Tallest dude on an XL SB-95
    By gfs69 in forum Yeti
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM
  5. Tallest carbon CX frame
    By Erik_A in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •