Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

Location for a winter introduction

A climbing buddy of mine wants to try mtb ridding this weekend. He only owns an older mountain bike that he turned in to single speed commuter. I am going to loan him some 2.3 tires, but his bike is sporting a 46/18 which is a little tall for a lot of climbs.
    If possible, I would like to ride somewhere new for me. I have not ridden Souixon Creek or the Willson River. Are these rides too steep for his gears? I was hoping to stay away from the mud and be pretty scenic. I know Scapoose and Stella. Any suggestions for where to take him where it's dry and not to steep?

it means 'no problem'
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

FKA Malibu412
    If you want to try something a little closer to PDX, you could try a couple of lower elevation rides off of 26 toward Mt Hood in the same day.

The first is the old Salmon River Trail--an out-and-back about 5 miles long and little elevation change with some great scenery. Only a couple of small climbs that might cause a walk for a SS. The rest is very ride able.

The second is a downhill called the Homestead Trail/New Sandy River Trail in the Marmot/Sleepy Hollow area. Here are the directions from a work party post on the Northwest Trail Alliance site:

"Drive out Hwy 26 to Marmot Rd, L on Marmot, Go across the River then take a R. Go 1/4 mile past the new roadwayside. The 14 road will be on the left with a Road Closed sign on the yellow gate.

It is pretty directional. Climb up the road until you reach the top after about 3 1/2 miles and you'll see ribbons on the left."

I have not tried this trail yet but it sounds like a decent lower elevation ride. It has a creek crossing but should be manageable with the drier weather we've had the last week or so. After the climb (not shuttle able), it features berm turns and some jumps that make it sound challenging and fun. Plus it's downhill for a SS.

Obviously Single

Wrt?

Quote Originally Posted by old crank
    A climbing buddy of mine wants to try mtb ridding this weekend. He only owns an older mountain bike that he turned in to single speed commuter. I am going to loan him some 2.3 tires, but his bike is sporting a 46/18 which is a little tall for a lot of climbs.
    If possible, I would like to ride somewhere new for me. I have not ridden Souixon Creek or the Willson River. Are these rides too steep for his gears? I was hoping to stay away from the mud and be pretty scenic. I know Scapoose and Stella. Any suggestions for where to take him where it's dry and not to steep?
    46x18 is retarded for trail riding, but if he insists on keeping that gearing for the ride, I'd suggest the Visitor's Center part of the Wilson River Trail. Much of the WRT is anything but flat (amazing amount of climbing either way for a River Trail), but that section is fairly flat. My first SS ride was on that section ... (ah, the nostalgia)

Head West from there, as there's a bridge on the trail out just east of there.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank
    He will have a poor first impression using that gearing, no matter where you take him. Too high for a smooth, dead-flat trail IMO.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    Agreed! I told him that gear was not appropriate for off road riding and that he would be pushing it up the hills. He just wants to check it out and see if he wants to change the bike back into a real mountain bike. It is one of those old x style frame cannondales with a head shock. He rebuilt it for urban commuting with white industries stuff. I suggested a new 32 or 30 chainring but, he wanted to try it without putting out any money first.

Other ideas? We are going to ride on Sunday.

Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    With that gearing and the forecasted weather on Sunday...He'll never ride off road again.

How about Siouxon Creek, relatively flat and not all that difficult.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

it means 'no problem'
    If you want him to enjoy mountain biking and ride with you ever again, surprise him - drop the $50 and rent a sweet full suspension rig for the day. He'll soon be another happy consumer!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    FYI- We ended up riding close to home, to be close to the warm pub après ride. Local means Forest Park, damned if he didn't climb the hill twice on a 44/18. He loved it and is going to get a 32 knee saver. Another rider to the cult. Thanks for the input.