Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Local bike shop praise...Cyclepath bike shop in Portland!

Just had the best bike shop experience since riding bikes, and living in Oregon for +35yrs now. Came home with new ride tonight (new mtb frame from shop w/mostly my old beaten down parts transfered to frame). They totally dialed everything in for me and bike is ready to shred out the door with perfect fit, feel and specs! A person may be able to get parts and whatnot for a cheaper price online, but you can't beat the outstanding customer service you get when going through a good LBS. The guys at Cyclepath (Cody in particular) rules and knows how to set up bikes with great attention to detail by dialing in the ride perfectly for the rider at hand. Great experience for me and best bike shop experience to date. to Cyclepath!!!
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like those guys also. I just bought a Scott road bike that I'm having a good time on. Good experience.
    They really have some drool worthy bikes in that shop.

what the quan?!
    Always good to know there are other MTB shops in the PDX... Even better to know that they are a Yeti dealer too! Now I can finally check out the SB66.

Currently I do all of my shopping at Universal; their price matching / selection is tough to beat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    Always good to know there are other MTB shops in the PDX... Even better to know that they are a Yeti dealer too! Now I can finally check out the SB66.

Currently I do all of my shopping at Universal; their price matching / selection is tough to beat.
    Me too, with the majority of the parts I buy. But for frames/complete bikes, a good LBS is the best way to go, IMO.

Cyclepath has a pretty good selection of mtb frames (XC race to trail/AM) with offerings of Turner, Pivot, and Yeti. I'm taking out the SB-66 tonight afterwork for a night ride on it's maiden voyage. It's med size frame (a big medium) if you ever want to check it out sometime. The shop has a large SB-66 complete with 160 fork in shop that they will let you take out to spin around the hood and local parks too if you like. That's what I did a couple of times before buying from them.
    Ride On!

highly visible
    Didn't end up buying there, but I did some test rides at Cyclepath and they are awesome guys.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    I'm glad you had a good experience at Cyclepath. Typically, I end up leaving there with just a ho hum kind of experience.

I've been to all of the big shops over the last 15 years that I have lived in Portland. I've found that if you find a shop that you like, stick to em. If you frequent them enough, they'll eventually reward you with good experiences and even a monetary reward on occasion. At least this has been my experience with my go to shop in town.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Universal is a local bike shop that has used the internet mostly to sell products. They now have a pretty nice store front and have expanded their business. Mike has worked hard and created an excellent business. Hats off to him!

I think there are lots of good bikes shops in Portland. I'm amazed they are all getting enough business. I like Sellwood Cycles, River City, and Bike Gallery. I go to Bike Gallery on Sandy when I get stumped on a bike problem. They are excellent but spendy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'm glad you had a good experience at Cyclepath. Typically, I end up leaving there with just a ho hum kind of experience.

I've been to all of the big shops over the last 15 years that I have lived in Portland. I've found that if you find a shop that you like, stick to em. If you frequent them enough, they'll eventually reward you with good experiences and even a monetary reward on occasion. At least this has been my experience with my go to shop in town.
    Yep, that was kind of always my experience before as well. I guess the bike shop stars just happened to align right for me and was fortunate to deal with a shop employee who likes similar stuff and set-up as me and the fact I was in the market for a new bike.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Yep, that was kind of always my experience before as well. I guess the bike shop stars just happened to align right for me and was fortunate to deal with a shop employee who likes similar stuff and set-up as me and the fact I was in the market for a new bike.
    I'm not sure if it's the Keep Portland Weird thing, or it's just a Portland bike shop thing, but I've had equal bad and good experiences at most of the shops in town. I've sworn off several shops and vowed to never set foot in them again, but inedibly I go back, and they end up surprising me. Even my go to shop has pissed me off more than once.

I was in Fat Tire Farm the other day and the guy at the counter went way beyond what I expected, completely surprised me. This has been one of those shops that I've never had a bad experience, but I've never came out there completely wowed either.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 12-13-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Calm like a Bomb
    My experience at cycle path wasn't as nice..got a very elitist attitude from a employee who did not seem interested in anyone himself

mtbr member
    Just had the best bike shop experience since riding bikes, and living in Oregon for +35yrs now. Came home with new ride tonight (new mtb frame from shop w/mostly my old beaten down parts transfered to frame). They totally dialed everything in for me and bike is ready to shred out the door with perfect fit, feel and specs! A person may be able to get parts and whatnot for a cheaper price online, but you can't beat the outstanding customer service you get when going through a good LBS. The guys at Cyclepath (Cody in particular) rules and knows how to set up bikes with great attention to detail by dialing in the ride perfectly for the rider at hand. Great experience for me and best bike shop experience to date. to Cyclepath!!!
    Did they charge you for transferring the parts? I always do it myself - half the fun if you ask me and you know it gets done right. What frame did you get? Did you bail on the Rune because of the bushing issue?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Did they charge you for transferring the parts? I always do it myself - half the fun if you ask me and you know it gets done right. What frame did you get? Did you bail on the Rune because of the bushing issue?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Yeah, they took care of me with transferring all the parts with new tapered steerer/crown assembly and everything else and all my old parts are running much better than I had them running before (which felt adequate for me). They went through all my existing stuff and dialed it for me.

Oh, got a Yeti SB-66 black med frame. Actually identical in build weight than my Rune with lighter shock even, same angles, just a slightly better fit in frame sizing with much better standover, little shorter CS's, WB. My latest rendition of my Rune was totally dialed and problem free after I did the pivot/shim fix early on (after 1 month of riding new replacement frame).

I got the new ride, mostly cause I just wanted to treat myself and try something new and the frame at the shop was calling my name. Also, frame looks a lot more solid in construction and yes, I don't want to have to sweat or fret about future pivot or frame issues in the future, especially into this coming year. Three Rune frames in less than 2yrs, doesn't give one a lot of faith in long-term reliability. But, yes my 11' Rune has been good so far, ridden fairly hard over past five months since recovering from knee surgery in early summer.

The SB-66 feels solid, just need fine tune rear suspension feel a bit with the RP23.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Lots of folks in town swear by that place. Personally, it is the one shop I avoid (shame cause it is filled with drool-worthy stuff). I had a string of unpleasant experiences in there.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like Cycle Path because they have specials and you can dig out a deal; otherwise, I would never go in there to shop. No slam intended on Bill or the staff but I don't care about much else in a bike shop. I don't really care about how nice they are or if they are bike elitist. I do think it is easy to misinterpret bike shop excitement for bike elitism. I probably won't buy a Moots but Cycle Path guys think they are the bee's knees. Good for them! They sell Moots and are the number one Moot's dealer in the nation.

mtbr member
    "I do think it is easy to misinterpret bike shop excitement for bike elitism"

Hmm..not sure what to make of that, other than that sometimes "tools get treated like tools". I think most bike shops can sniff out the ones who are interested in potentially buying a product and/or after something specifically vs. the ones who are just snooping around checking out stock and shop pricing to go home and get online to find a better deal. I don't blame them at all for not investing that much time with someone like that and I think that may get perceived as bike elitism? I don't know, all I know is that I had a great experience and really felt taken care of and thought it was worth mentioning. Does that make me a bike elitist?
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Okay

"I do think it is easy to misinterpret bike shop excitement for bike elitism"

Hmm..not sure what to make of that, other than that sometimes "tools get treated like tools". I think most bike shops can sniff out the ones who are interested in potentially buying a product and/or after something specifically vs. the ones who are just snooping around checking out stock and shop pricing to go home and get online to find a better deal. I don't blame them at all for not investing that much time with someone like that and I think that may get perceived as bike elitism? I don't know, all I know is that I had a great experience and really felt taken care of and thought it was worth mentioning. Does that make me a bike elitist?
    I bought a bike from them! Nonetheless, I'm not paying MSRP to support them. If I was a bike shop I would tread carefully in sizing someone up and discounting them. I checked their stuff out for a while before I bought from them. I like their shop fine.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 12-14-2011 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I bought a bike from them! Nonetheless, I'm not paying MSRP to support them. If I was a bike shop I would tread carefully in sizing someone up and discounting them. I checked their stuff out for a while before I bought from them. I like their shop fine.
    Sounds good. Some people like to peruse the Home Shopping Network for deals, some like to patrol the bike shops. Just giving you a hard time is all . I am known for waiting for most of the Dakine clothing to go to clearance rack at BG after the season for 1/2 pricing. I typically do this every year due to all the roadies and commuters not buying it up for that particular year.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yaw

Sounds good. Some people like to peruse the Home Shopping Network for deals, some like to patrol the bike shops. Just giving you a hard time is all . I am known for waiting for most of the Dakine clothing to go to clearance rack at BG after the season for 1/2 pricing. I typically do this every year due to all the roadies and commuters not buying it up for that particular year.
    I certainly am not above checking a product out in a shop before buying it online. Is your new bike the bee's knees?

mtbr member
    Is your new bike the bee's knees?
    It passed the test of flying down my favorite trails at Sandy and Scappy, so yes it is a good time! It's probably not going to win any races up hill or the fastest accelerator due to stoutness and weight of frame (almost 8lbs w/air), but carries speed nicely and likes to loft the hits and jumps while still being comfortable pedalling everything in between. A nice, versatile FUN bike! Just waiting on a new stem to dial the cockpit in about right and should be set for while....I hope .
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good times

Three Corner Rock was freaking awesome today. It has been an awesome month.

When did you become a LBS homer? You would crawl in snow on glass to save a buck!

You need a trail bike for more mellow riding. A 575 might do the trick.

mtbr member
    Three Corner Rock was freaking awesome today. It has been an awesome month.

When did you become a LBS homer? You would crawl in snow on glass to save a buck!

You need a trail bike for more mellow riding. A 575 might do the trick.
    I have a trail bike, it's call the "SUPER BIKE". I don't know what mellow riding is, not in my vocab. I'll save that for the "geri" years if I ever make it there.

I'm a LBS convert from my last experience, it was that good and worth it to me to drop the extra coin. Plus my frame was MSRP no matter where I got it from since it is new frame for this year.

I haven't ridden 3CR since I got a tic on my nuts a few winters ago. Decent winter ride. Seems like more climbing than riding Syncline for some reason though.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yaw

I have a trail bike, it's call the "SUPER BIKE". I don't know what mellow riding is, not in my vocab. I'll save that for the "geri" years if I ever make it there.

I'm a LBS convert from my last experience, it was that good and worth it to me to drop the extra coin. Plus my frame was MSRP no matter where I got it from since it is new frame for this year.

I haven't ridden 3CR since I got a tic on my nuts a few winters ago. Decent winter ride. Seems like more climbing than riding Syncline for some reason though.
    You are knocking on the 'geri' years I know, they are coming up on me quickly. My goal anymore is to relax and stay fit while avoiding injury.

A good mellow climb up 3CR is good for the soul. Just the dog, trees, water, and my bike heading up puffing away like a train. Great ride! No guys in full face helmets. loud music in the parking lot, and muddy trails.

Cycle Path is a fun place to go because of the all the cool bikes. They have a Turner Sultan on sale that looks sweet.

mtbr member
    You are knocking on the 'geri' years I know, they are coming up on me quickly. My goal anymore is to relax and stay fit while avoiding injury.

A good mellow climb up 3CR is good for the soul. Just the dog, trees, water, and my bike heading up puffing away like a train. Great ride! No guys in full face helmets. loud music in the parking lot, and muddy trails.

Cycle Path is a fun place to go because of the all the cool bikes. They have a Turner Sultan on sale that looks sweet.
    Ah yes, a soul ride. I like to do those when I am not in a rush to have to get home to the fam and can really take my time and take it all in. I try to do those from time to time, but not as much as I would like due to time restrictions unfortunately.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Seems like more climbing than riding Syncline for some reason though.
    3CR is a trail that is uphill both directions. Great trail, just seems like you're always pointed up. One of the best around for the wet season though. On topic though, Cyclepath did an awesome deal for me when I bought a Titus Motolite frame and bunch other parts for my son a few years ago.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It is more climbing then Syncline! The last couple miles are brutal before you get to the top. I get off and push part of it. It would be a really tough climb on a "super bike."

One on topic thought: the new River City outlet store is really great. You get the River City wide array of parts and service in a smaller setting. Plus, the bike prices are awesome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast