Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Local bike shop praise...Cyclepath bike shop in Portland!

5K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  racebum 
#1 ·
Just had the best bike shop experience since riding bikes, and living in Oregon for +35yrs now. Came home with new ride tonight (new mtb frame from shop w/mostly my old beaten down parts transfered to frame). They totally dialed everything in for me and bike is ready to shred out the door with perfect fit, feel and specs! A person may be able to get parts and whatnot for a cheaper price online, but you can't beat the outstanding customer service you get when going through a good LBS. The guys at Cyclepath (Cody in particular) rules and knows how to set up bikes with great attention to detail by dialing in the ride perfectly for the rider at hand. Great experience for me and best bike shop experience to date. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: to Cyclepath!!!

#4 ·
Me too, with the majority of the parts I buy. But for frames/complete bikes, a good LBS is the best way to go, IMO.

Cyclepath has a pretty good selection of mtb frames (XC race to trail/AM) with offerings of Turner, Pivot, and Yeti. I'm taking out the SB-66 tonight afterwork for a night ride on it's maiden voyage. It's med size frame (a big medium) if you ever want to check it out sometime. The shop has a large SB-66 complete with 160 fork in shop that they will let you take out to spin around the hood and local parks too if you like. That's what I did a couple of times before buying from them.

#6 ·
I'm glad you had a good experience at Cyclepath. Typically, I end up leaving there with just a ho hum kind of experience.

I've been to all of the big shops over the last 15 years that I have lived in Portland. I've found that if you find a shop that you like, stick to em. If you frequent them enough, they'll eventually reward you with good experiences and even a monetary reward on occasion. At least this has been my experience with my go to shop in town.

#8 ·
I'm glad you had a good experience at Cyclepath. Typically, I end up leaving there with just a ho hum kind of experience.

I've been to all of the big shops over the last 15 years that I have lived in Portland. I've found that if you find a shop that you like, stick to em. If you frequent them enough, they'll eventually reward you with good experiences and even a monetary reward on occasion. At least this has been my experience with my go to shop in town.
Yep, that was kind of always my experience before as well. I guess the bike shop stars just happened to align right for me and was fortunate to deal with a shop employee who likes similar stuff and set-up as me and the fact I was in the market for a new bike.

#7 ·
Universal is a local bike shop that has used the internet mostly to sell products. They now have a pretty nice store front and have expanded their business. Mike has worked hard and created an excellent business. Hats off to him!

I think there are lots of good bikes shops in Portland. I'm amazed they are all getting enough business. I like Sellwood Cycles, River City, and Bike Gallery. I go to Bike Gallery on Sandy when I get stumped on a bike problem. They are excellent but spendy.

#11 ·
Did they charge you for transferring the parts? I always do it myself - half the fun if you ask me and you know it gets done right. What frame did you get? Did you bail on the Rune because of the bushing issue?

Have FUN!

G MAN

#12 ·
Yeah, they took care of me with transferring all the parts with new tapered steerer/crown assembly and everything else and all my old parts are running much better than I had them running before (which felt adequate for me). They went through all my existing stuff and dialed it for me.

Oh, got a Yeti SB-66 black med frame. Actually identical in build weight than my Rune with lighter shock even, same angles, just a slightly better fit in frame sizing with much better standover, little shorter CS's, WB. My latest rendition of my Rune was totally dialed and problem free after I did the pivot/shim fix early on (after 1 month of riding new replacement frame).

I got the new ride, mostly cause I just wanted to treat myself and try something new and the frame at the shop was calling my name. Also, frame looks a lot more solid in construction and yes, I don't want to have to sweat or fret about future pivot or frame issues in the future, especially into this coming year. Three Rune frames in less than 2yrs, doesn't give one a lot of faith in long-term reliability. But, yes my 11' Rune has been good so far, ridden fairly hard over past five months since recovering from knee surgery in early summer.

The SB-66 feels solid, just need fine tune rear suspension feel a bit with the RP23.

#14 ·
I like Cycle Path because they have specials and you can dig out a deal; otherwise, I would never go in there to shop. No slam intended on Bill or the staff but I don't care about much else in a bike shop. I don't really care about how nice they are or if they are bike elitist. I do think it is easy to misinterpret bike shop excitement for bike elitism. I probably won't buy a Moots but Cycle Path guys think they are the bee's knees. Good for them! They sell Moots and are the number one Moot's dealer in the nation.

#15 ·
"I do think it is easy to misinterpret bike shop excitement for bike elitism"

Hmm..not sure what to make of that, other than that sometimes "tools get treated like tools". I think most bike shops can sniff out the ones who are interested in potentially buying a product and/or after something specifically vs. the ones who are just snooping around checking out stock and shop pricing to go home and get online to find a better deal. I don't blame them at all for not investing that much time with someone like that and I think that may get perceived as bike elitism? I don't know, all I know is that I had a great experience and really felt taken care of and thought it was worth mentioning. Does that make me a bike elitist?

#25 ·
It is more climbing then Syncline! The last couple miles are brutal before you get to the top. I get off and push part of it. It would be a really tough climb on a "super bike." :)

One on topic thought: the new River City outlet store is really great. You get the River City wide array of parts and service in a smaller setting. Plus, the bike prices are awesome!

#27 ·
During my trips to Oregon the past 2 summers, I had issues with my bike that I thought were fixed by a lbs before I left. In both instances, I stopped at Cyclepath. I told Bill that I was on vacation and that I was planning on riding every day. Even though he was very busy, he was willing to fit me into his schedule. If I need anything this summer and I am close to Portland, I will definitely stop at Cyclepath.

#28 ·
Trust me there are plenty of people who do not know how to change a tire or tube. I would say the average bike rider (those not on this site) does not know how to do this or do basic tune ups. This is why the bike stores that are around today are still around. There is enough maintenance work to support them along with bike sales. But I have to believe that the maintenance work keeps them in business. During the summer my small shop is easily 1 week or more to get my work done and I am a regular customer.

#30 ·
i've wondered if this is secretly part of what's behind the demise of 2x and 3x. people don't know how to maintain their ride and 1x is more simple and easier to maintain

as for cyclepath. i also like that store. i ride shops hard on price when i buy bikes and frames and if they aren't going to compete i move to the next.

they wouldn't compete but i actually liked the guys so much i bought a few things there before i left just as a thanks

#29 ·
I took a special trip from Corvallis because they're the U.S. distributor for Mudhugger mudguards (British for fenders). The fenders are remarkable; the first I've owned that I don't rip off the bike at the first hint of dry. I also really like the feel of the shop, and the employee who helped me was friendly, helpful, and happy to talk bikes with some average kook. I try not to seek my daily affirmations from bike shops, but it is great to feel welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.