Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Living in Portland

    Howdy,

    I have been looking around this board for a bit just trying to get a sense of what kind of trails and what the riding scene is in Oregon. I have come to the conclusion that because of job stuff that Portland is the place to be.

    Now what I am wondering is where is a decent place to live in Portland? Ok I know thats a bit vague in the word "decent". I essentially don't want to live downtown but on the out skirts of town so that I could ride to work most/some days. Also I'm a country mouse, I think living directly in the city would errk me a bit.

    Lastly, where is some of the most affordable areas to live? Now I know living near a major city the prices are definitely going to be at a premium.

    Any info would be awesome. I'm graduating in a few months and am looking to come out and do some interviews (have two right now). Thanks!

  2. #2
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,525

    Find a recent Willamette Week

    Quote Originally Posted by dlmcclou
    Howdy,

    I have been looking around this board for a bit just trying to get a sense of what kind of trails and what the riding scene is in Oregon. I have come to the conclusion that because of job stuff that Portland is the place to be.

    Now what I am wondering is where is a decent place to live in Portland? Ok I know thats a bit vague in the word "decent". I essentially don't want to live downtown but on the out skirts of town so that I could ride to work most/some days. Also I'm a country mouse, I think living directly in the city would errk me a bit.

    Lastly, where is some of the most affordable areas to live? Now I know living near a major city the prices are definitely going to be at a premium.

    Any info would be awesome. I'm graduating in a few months and am looking to come out and do some interviews (have two right now). Thanks!
    PDX has horrible taxation, expensive cost of living, and is run by a bunch of morons. Even the liberal paper Willamette Week just did an article not too long ago about these issues. However, it is a beautiful. Most decent riding is at least an hour unless you count the West Hills riding as good. If I were to live in PDX I would live in Troutdale despite the east winds. It is the closest to the Gorge and good riding....

    Jaybo

  3. #3
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,504

    I disagree on all 3...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    PDX has horrible taxation, expensive cost of living, and is run by a bunch of morons. Jaybo
    and I live here. Houses can be expensive to buy in the trendy areas compared to the surrounding metro area, but is much cheaper than the larger West Coast Cities and comparable to other "cool" cities in the region.
    If you want more country living, you may want to look the exact opposite direction that jaybo suggests, head West. You can find apts/houses to rent and buy in the direction of the coastal range (outer Beaverton/Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Banks, etc). You can be on excellent singletrack in the coastal range in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it is an easy trip into the city for all that it offers. In fact, I think that all things considered, Portland is the best city in the country....
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rydog9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    285
    There are no really affordable areas to live, home prices are out of control. I guess farther out SE maybe, but that would be a long ride to work. The west hills have some ok riding (forest park etc..) but the homes are veerrryyyy expensive.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Ya I was definitely thinking of getting an apartment / rent for the time being. What is rent usually like? And heck a 10-15 mile bike ride to work would be very doable on most days.

  6. #6
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,504

    Check craiglist...

    Quote Originally Posted by dlmcclou
    Ya I was definitely thinking of getting an apartment / rent for the time being. What is rent usually like? And heck a 10-15 mile bike ride to work would be very doable on most days.
    I don't think the cost of rent is that bad at all here, especially if you do not live in the heart of the city. My friend lived in a smaller complex, 1 bedroom apartment, inside the city for $600/month with utilities. This was about a year and a half ago.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  7. #7
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    PDX has horrible taxation, expensive cost of living, and is run by a bunch of morons. Even the liberal paper Willamette Week just did an article not too long ago about these issues. However, it is a beautiful. Most decent riding is at least an hour unless you count the West Hills riding as good. If I were to live in PDX I would live in Troutdale despite the east winds. It is the closest to the Gorge and good riding....

    Jaybo
    Here we go again... I swear you must have a word doc on your desktop that you use for cut-n-paste replies.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rydog9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    285
    600/month is very rare, and usually not in the best parts of town anymore. Look to spend about 800 w/o utilities for a 1bd. and around 1000 for a 2bd.

  9. #9
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,504

    Not really....

    Quote Originally Posted by rydog9991
    600/month is very rare, and usually not in the best parts of town anymore. Look to spend about 800 w/o utilities for a 1bd. and around 1000 for a 2bd.
    I found 3 in about 20 seconds.
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/591397992.html

    The OP didn't want to live right in town anyway, but they are available for $600 or less if you look.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  10. #10
    Leave it all on the trail
    Reputation: Switchback78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    227
    Don't pay any attention to Jaybo up there....he does this everytime.

    I am a county mouse as well, but living in Portland has been a good change of perspective for me. I have grown to love the city life..and thats the thing Portland is small or just the right size in my book to where its not overwhelming. I personally think living in Portland is a much better option than living in some of the outer towns/areas unless you are doing for cost reason which is what drives most out of town. My rent is the same as most of my friends mortgages back in Ky on 2500 sqft houses so its not cheap, but there are certainly more expensive places to live.

    Oh and the riding. ... Unbelievable... I am a born again rider because of Oregon and Washington. Its just plain sick.. you can have epics adventures with minimal drive time.

  11. #11
    Est. 1971
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    291
    As far as PDX being expensive that's a matter of perspective and location. Moving here from Chicago 1-1/2 years ago PDX is much less expensive to live as far as rent, gas, no sales tax (compared to 10% in Chi and lobbying to go to 15%) and generral cost of living.

    My 2 bedroom in Sherwood is $825, includes washer and dryer in the unit and a car washing port. I don't miss the lack of A/C out here. I honestly think culture wise PDX has everything a larger town like Chicago, LA, NYC has just not on as large a scale and much more accessible.

    As far as riding, like the others have said everything is at least 45 minutes away. My local faves are Brown's Camp and Larch Mt., OR (if you like all mountain, east coast type riding, Wilson RIver Trail and Forrest Park for more smooth, buff single track and fire roads (FP as I know now is still severly limited in bike access)).

    I don't think PDX has any 'hard' slums or neighborhoods, save the far NE part.
    -Tim B
    Larry of the Swiss Alps

  12. #12
    Singletrack Addict
    Reputation: Snake Muesl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_fsr
    I don't think PDX has any 'hard' slums or neighborhoods, save the far NE part.
    Is that a swipe at Gresham?

  13. #13
    endoguy
    Reputation: endoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    63
    I live near Forest Park and ride in there as my usual loop. I would suggest moving to unincorporated multnomah or Washington county for lower property taxes. If you don't mind dirt , it would be easy to ride through forest park into down town Portland.

  14. #14
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,525

    Herer you go. Check out the facts

    I know some homers hate facts but on well:

    1) Taxation levesl: http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html
    Overall, though Oregon scores pretty well in taxation: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...spx?page=2#XXX
    2) The leaders of PDX. The street fight. Sheesh!: http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...69710398210900
    3) The tram. Sheesh!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Aerial_Tram
    4) Portland has the highest rate of Heroin abuse in the country.
    5) City rarely gets snow but gets 37" or rain. It is gloomy a lot though.
    6) Largest city park in the US: Forest Park.

    Oh, what the h*ll, come on out. PDX needs more cars on its streets. Free Agent is right; that boy is a genius!

    Jaybo

  15. #15
    Singletrack Addict
    Reputation: Snake Muesl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    I still say we need a sticky thread for this topic and for the tourists looking to ride. That way Jaybo wouldn't have to do all the cutting and pasting to spew the rhetoric .

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I can just not give a crap about a bunch of pampas politicians and trams I'll prolly use one just to say its cool and ignore it. Overall I ignore town politics unless they plan on a 200% tax increase or want to put a jagged spike to have kids play on in the park.

    Thanks for the overall contributions folks. And ya a sticky of something with info on trails and such would be great cause right now to be honest PUMP's website sucks for any info on trails for the most part.

    But I currently live in Houghton, MI and the single track here is down right, bar none the most amazing around and lots of it, but too much snow and permacloud for me. I just don't want to end up out there and find the singletrack is lame. But worse comes to worse I pack me shiz and me back eh?

  17. #17
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,525

    Back in Kentucky?

    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback78
    Don't pay any attention to Jaybo up there....he does this everytime.

    I am a county mouse as well, but living in Portland has been a good change of perspective for me. I have grown to love the city life..and thats the thing Portland is small or just the right size in my book to where its not overwhelming. I personally think living in Portland is a much better option than living in some of the outer towns/areas unless you are doing for cost reason which is what drives most out of town. My rent is the same as most of my friends mortgages back in Ky on 2500 sqft houses so its not cheap, but there are certainly more expensive places to live.

    Oh and the riding. ... Unbelievable... I am a born again rider because of Oregon and Washington. Its just plain sick.. you can have epics adventures with minimal drive time.
    Now that there is very funny Get er done! She is my sister and my wife Sorry, but that is funny...

    Jaybo

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    616
    the best thing about ptd is stumptown coffee and higgins restaurant. But, with that said, it doesn't mean it makes being stuck in the city worth it, it just eases the pain and frustration of having to get in the car coffin and commute to the darn trailhead. If you live there and want to ride singletrack that is worthwhile, you'll need the whole day. Otherwise, the best riding is on the road in the west hills, inbetween am and pm commute fister hours.

    Oh..... there is no reason to stay in ptd for stumpdown coffee anymore, as you can get a good dose of it now at dog river coffee in hood river.
    good luck and avoid living in citysprawltaxationfisterland if you can avoid it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by dlmcclou
    Howdy,

    I have been looking around this board for a bit just trying to get a sense of what kind of trails and what the riding scene is in Oregon. I have come to the conclusion that because of job stuff that Portland is the place to be.

    Now what I am wondering is where is a decent place to live in Portland? Ok I know thats a bit vague in the word "decent". I essentially don't want to live downtown but on the out skirts of town so that I could ride to work most/some days. Also I'm a country mouse, I think living directly in the city would errk me a bit.

    Lastly, where is some of the most affordable areas to live? Now I know living near a major city the prices are definitely going to be at a premium.

    Any info would be awesome. I'm graduating in a few months and am looking to come out and do some interviews (have two right now). Thanks!
    I would say get and select the job first, then dial in what part of town you want to live in.

    If working on the west side of the Willamette River I would stay on the west side and live somewhere like Freeagent suggested to have easy access to the Tillamook NF. If working east of the Willamette, I would live somewhere far east county like Troutdale, like Jaybo said for easy Columbia gorge access. Just try to avoid Gresham in far east county, its slowly becomming a suburbial cess-pool. You may like living in the city though, just to be centrally located to everything like I am. Downtown/Forest Park takes about 10min for me, Scappoose trails 30min, Tillamook NF 45min, Columbia Gorge/Hood River Trails 45-60min.

    JG
    Ride On!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •