Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: A little ride

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019

    A little ride

    Had a good fun ride today on MRT with Matt, Davey, Lou, Milt and Bianca. It was dry most of the ride and didn't start with the showers until 1/2 back to the car. We were able to get up to Blue Pool, only one small patch of snow so my guess is you could get higher.

    Here are a few pic's from today I will post some more tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

  2. #2
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330

    Got Milt?

    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    ...Here are a few pic's from today I will post some more tomorrow.
    Milt was IN DA HOUSE! Milt can climb ANYTHING!

    As for myself... uh, I'm considering clicking one of the many diet ads on this site (how to choose?). Personally, I like the one that says, "Be a size 6 in 2006." I would love to be a size 6! Right now I'm a 34.

    Oh yeah, back to today's ride. McKenzie River Trail is always a treat, especially when you're joined by good friends. Loose Wing got a little lippy a few times but the rest of us worked hard to put him in his place. One time we had to remind him that he rides a bike built by a company that is no longer in business. Ouch! Anyway, this seemed to calm him down.

    The trail was damp but not terribly wet. Only saw one other group of riders (including GOOCH... Bro, why din'tcha ride wit yo peeps?!?) and a few hikers on the Tamolich Falls AKA Blue Pool section. My SS was undergeared for all but the Lava Zone, which we rode most of (I ran a 36x21). There's one huge tree in the middle of that zone. Suckaz gonna take some saw work to extract, I tell ya.

    Big fun. But why did 22 measly miles hammer me? It's mid-April. Time to ride.

    Cuz I wanna be a size 6.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mudflaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,143
    Yo amigos! Sounds like the weather was kinder to youze than us boyz what hit the road. We got dumped on no less than 4 times and numerous not-so-serious showers. All this in spite of having brought the raincoats which were supposed to ward off the rain (so I've been told). We never did get them out, the temps didn't require such drastic measures.

    Cazloco, Rockhound, & I wanted to get in some serious hours and did Wolf Cr to Lorane (where we were joined by Rockhound's girlfriend) then over to Cottage Grove, north to ride some of the WV Classic course and then homeward. We got in 6 hours ride time and something over 90 miles on them skinny tire things. A good day!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    22 miles.. You must have a bum computer.. Mine had 110+.. oh yeah I wasn't riding MRT today.. Good to hear it's clear up past Tamolich falls.

  5. #5
    No Justice = No Peace
    Reputation: Lutarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,514

    Just curious...

    What kind of tires work best on that loamy soil? I'm heading to MTB Oregon this summer with a 5spot and a 29er SS. I guess I will ride NanoRaptors on the 29er, cause they are lighter than the EXIs. Is there a favorite 26in tire in your crowd? I don't usually ride a real high volume tire, as I am more of a XC rider than a Freerider type. (translation: I'm old and I like skinny tires cause they roll easier.)

    Thanks, see you this summer.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

  6. #6
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    What kind of tires work best on that loamy soil? ... Thanks, see you this summer.
    MTBO? I'll be there, too. It'll be good ta meetcha.

    Winter's way different than summer out here as far as tires go. Right now I've got a Panicracer Fire FR 2.4 on the front and a Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.25 on the rear. Awesome combo for the Oregon mud, but not a great choice for Oregon's tacky summer hardpack. (Well, that's what we've got here in the Willamette Valley and western slopes of the Cascade foothills, anyway. On the other side of the mountains in Bend they've got sand & talcy dust in the dry months.)

    I do like high volume tires so once the trails dry out I run a Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E 2.5 on the front and a Nokian NBX 2.3 in the rear on my SS. (I'd go bigger in the rear but 2.3 is as big as my frame can take.) On my Gary Fisher Cake I run WTB Timberwolf 2.5's F & R. Although I haven't used them personally, folks rave about Kenda Nevagals, too.

    I lack a 29er but General Coonskins just got one and he's got both the tires you mentioned. I guess the Exiwolfs ought to be better in the summer (their tread design is a bit complex for winter hookup according to 'Skins).

    Whatever. Western Oregon's summer soil is so compliant that it's almost hard to find a tire that doesn't work well. No, seriously.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    Ditto. Basically any tire works in the summer, this time of year is a different story though.. In the Summer the Fire XC's are a pretty popular tire, easy rolling, predictable and cheap. If you head over to the Bend area take a higher volume tire to float in the sand and dust.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dagooch8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    76
    sparticus & gang ,nice to see yur carcasses today,too bad I missed the message from bigfoot, or maybe we could have joined.....oh well,i'll get to ride w/yas Weds night.....till then just gooch it' pace.
    [SIZE=4]I'd rather be mountainbiking. [/SIZE]

  9. #9
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    What kind of tires work best on that loamy soil? I'm heading to MTB Oregon this summer with a 5spot and a 29er SS. I guess I will ride NanoRaptors on the 29er, cause they are lighter than the EXIs. Is there a favorite 26in tire in your crowd? I don't usually ride a real high volume tire, as I am more of a XC rider than a Freerider type. (translation: I'm old and I like skinny tires cause they roll easier.)

    Thanks, see you this summer.
    Hey Lute, Nanos work great here on the dry side. Can't go wrong with that choice.

    I used to run 2.4 Mutanoraptors on a 26er. A lot of people like the fat Weirwolfs too.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    What kind of tires work best on that loamy soil? I'm heading to MTB Oregon this summer with a 5spot and a 29er SS. I guess I will ride NanoRaptors on the 29er, cause they are lighter than the EXIs. Is there a favorite 26in tire in your crowd? I don't usually ride a real high volume tire, as I am more of a XC rider than a Freerider type. (translation: I'm old and I like skinny tires cause they roll easier.)

    Thanks, see you this summer.
    Lute, as Nat said....

    plus, I really like the Conti vertical pro's on my 26" bike, they track well, are light and hold up good for our riding.

    I like the Exi's in the drier soil but I think with our lomey soil the Nano's will work great. Of course in August at MT Oregon most trails will be starting to get pretty dry and the Exi's might be best.

    I run rigid and the Nano's were a little hard this past weekend but I also tend to pinch flat. On my rigid 26" SS I like the Blue Groove up front 92.3 or 2.5) and Nevegal in the back 92.35). Nice light tires and they hold their line very well.

    Hope that helps.
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

  11. #11
    Singletrack Addict
    Reputation: Snake Muesl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,145

    I got a Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    I like this shot. Kind of sums up the McRT.
    Hope to get down to ride it and others soon.





    But not soon enough.

  12. #12
    Singletrack Addict
    Reputation: Snake Muesl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,145

    I got a Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    I like this shot. Kind of sums up the McRT.
    Hope to get down to ride it and others soon.





    But not soon enough.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    MTBO? I'll be there, too. It'll be good ta meetcha.

    Winter's way different than summer out here as far as tires go. Right now I've got a Panicracer Fire FR 2.4 on the front and a Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.25 on the rear. Awesome combo for the Oregon mud, but not a great choice for Oregon's tacky summer hardpack. (Well, that's what we've got here in the Willamette Valley and western slopes of the Cascade foothills, anyway. On the other side of the mountains in Bend they've got sand & talcy dust in the dry months.)

    I do like high volume tires so once the trails dry out I run a Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E 2.5 on the front and a Nokian NBX 2.3 in the rear on my SS. (I'd go bigger in the rear but 2.3 is as big as my frame can take.) On my Gary Fisher Cake I run WTB Timberwolf 2.5's F & R. Although I haven't used them personally, folks rave about Kenda Nevagals, too.

    I lack a 29er but General Coonskins just got one and he's got both the tires you mentioned. I guess the Exiwolfs ought to be better in the summer (their tread design is a bit complex for winter hookup according to 'Skins).

    Whatever. Western Oregon's summer soil is so compliant that it's almost hard to find a tire that doesn't work well. No, seriously.

    --Sparty
    Sorry, not to turn this into a tire forum, but how do you like the T-wolf's here in O'land compared to the other big tires you ride? ei: Pani's FR and Kenda BG.

    I live in P-town and ride on both the east and west side of the slopes and am looking for a new, versatile, all around front tire for my 6" all-mt. rig. I am >200lbs. and currently ride a 2.35 Kenda Kinetic up front, good/decent tire for all conditions, but doesn't corner the greatest. I have ridden on Panaracer's before and consider them decent, the BG's I only will ride on hardpack or rocky stuff, definitely not loose, and I like the tread of the Nevegals here, but think the sidewalls are too thin for the type of riding I do. So, could you give a pro/con breakdown of the T-wolf's here in different conditions. Thanks.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Sorry, not to turn this into a tire forum, but how do you like the T-wolf's here in O'land compared to the other big tires you ride? ei: Pani's FR and Kenda BG.

    I live in P-town and ride on both the east and west side of the slopes and am looking for a new, versatile, all around front tire for my 6" all-mt. rig. I am >200lbs. and currently ride a 2.35 Kenda Kinetic up front, good/decent tire for all conditions, but doesn't corner the greatest. I have ridden on Panaracer's before and consider them decent, the BG's I only will ride on hardpack or rocky stuff, definitely not loose, and I like the tread of the Nevegals here, but think the sidewalls are too thin for the type of riding I do. So, could you give a pro/con breakdown of the T-wolf's here in different conditions. Thanks.
    Except for the weight I think the TimberWolf is the best tire for just about everything I have ridden.

    They work great for me in the mud, dry, sand, etc...

    Almost a do-it-all tire if you will. Though like I said the weight is up there, I think when weighed my 2.5 it was around 3 1/2 lbs (1500grams) about twice thier posted weight, but man I'd trust that tire on anything.

    I found a great 2nd tire in the Kenda Blue Groove, lighter and almost as good IMHO.
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Except for the weight I think the TimberWolf is the best tire for just about everything I have ridden.

    They work great for me in the mud, dry, sand, etc...

    Almost a do-it-all tire if you will. Though like I said the weight is up there, I think when weighed my 2.5 it was around 3 1/2 lbs (1500grams) about twice thier posted weight, but man I'd trust that tire on anything.

    I found a great 2nd tire in the Kenda Blue Groove, lighter and almost as good IMHO.
    Thanks for the feedback, I am thinking the 2.3 Timberwolf Race at 810g or 2.5 at 854g is the next ticket for a good front tire. I liked the Kenda BG up front as well until I took a bad washout on mellow loose over hardpack the end of last summer that just about ended my favorite past time on two wheels prematureley. The crash and massive soft tissue damage was more and likely from rider error, but I just don't feel as confident on those as I do a Nevegal or even Kinetic up front. They are faster than Neve's though ran on the front making them great on hardpack. Thanks again, how do you like climbing on these things (T-wolfs)?

  16. #16
    Tree Hugger
    Reputation: Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,935
    Here's a few pics I took from the ride.

    Richard attempts a challenging switchback


    Hanging out at Blue Pool, enjoying the sun


    Sparty, with helmet hair


    A goose was nesting along the river, enjoying the view of Blue pool


    Guess


    The general leading the way through the lava




    The 29er makes mince meat out of the lava


    Lou has the eye of the tiger


    Milt, king of the hill climb, ready to descend


    Davey enjoying the ride


    GC follows


    One last shot, Davey boozing it up at the mid way point. No wonder he got a little tired on the ride down.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Thanks for the feedback, I am thinking the 2.3 Timberwolf Race at 810g or 2.5 at 854g is the next ticket for a good front tire. I liked the Kenda BG up front as well until I took a bad washout on mellow loose over hardpack the end of last summer that just about ended my favorite past time on two wheels prematureley. The crash and massive soft tissue damage was more and likely from rider error, but I just don't feel as confident on those as I do a Nevegal or even Kinetic up front. They are faster than Neve's though ran on the front making them great on hardpack. Thanks again, how do you like climbing on these things (T-wolfs)?
    Like I said they feel heavy, though if it is a fun ride and I am not really motivated to go fast then I don't mind them. I like to run the same tire all the time so unless I am planning to race a bunch I would through the TW's on. Now with my new 29er it may take a bit to determine what tire I like best.

    But if I was to put one tire on my bike and leave it on for our type of riding the TW's would be my choice. 2.5 up front and 2.35 in back.
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Here's a few pics I took from the ride.

    Richard attempts a challenging switchback


    Hanging out at Blue Pool, enjoying the sun


    Sparty, with helmet hair


    A goose was nesting along the river, enjoying the view of Blue pool


    Guess


    The general leading the way through the lava




    The 29er makes mince meat out of the lava


    Lou has the eye of the tiger


    Milt, king of the hill climb, ready to descend


    Davey enjoying the ride


    GC follows


    One last shot, Davey boozing it up at the mid way point. No wonder he got a little tired on the ride down.
    Good pictures Sass....

    enjoyed the ride and the company...
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

  19. #19
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Very nice pictures Sasquatch. Are those lava sections as steep as they look? Your pics are giving me a jones to get down there. That switchback looks nasty...did you make it Rich?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    Some of that lava is that steep, just not super long sections. I have seen a lot of people just bail completly on that section, more fear than anything.

    I have made that switchback 4-5 times over the years, around 10 of those years, I don't always try. It was pretty slick that day and it was sketching me out a little. After my recent trip into So AZ and all the technical riding we did I feel like I can do a lot more, and am a least willing to try it a few times.

    just say the word and we will take you out for a ride...
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

  21. #21
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Some of that lava is that steep, just not super long sections. I have seen a lot of people just bail completly on that section, more fear than anything.

    I have made that switchback 4-5 times over the years, around 10 of those years, I don't always try. It was pretty slick that day and it was sketching me out a little. After my recent trip into So AZ and all the technical riding we did I feel like I can do a lot more, and am a least willing to try it a few times.

    just say the word and we will take you out for a ride...
    I'll definitely get down there for a weekend or two this summer and hope I can drag MeatFoot down with me. If that place looks so beautiful on the intraweb, in person it must be...inspiring.

  22. #22
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    I can drag MeatFoot down with me.
    I am not normally that drunk. I can usually walk on my two feet, occasionally dragging my knuckles.

    Actually getting down to MRT on a weekend when the weather dries out a tad would be nice.

    Cheers!
    Tuff Schist

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    You guys need to hook up with us for our Summer version of Barbie Camp, The Summer Ride Fest. Same idea, drink all day ride all night, Oh' wait, Ride all day, drink all the time...

    July 14-15-16, as soon as I am done promoting this blasted Stage race you will see some info on it. But for now mark the calendars and plan on being in Oakridge that weekend.

    Richard
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

  24. #24
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    You guys need to hook up with us for our Summer version of Barbie Camp, The Summer Ride Fest. Same idea, drink all day ride all night, Oh' wait, Ride all day, drink all the time...

    July 14-15-16, as soon as I am done promoting this blasted Stage race you will see some info on it. But for now mark the calendars and plan on being in Oakridge that weekend.

    Richard
    Calendar marked! I got off the phone with Meat a few minutes ago also. Currently working on heading down there on May 20th.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019

    A couple non-ride pic's

    of team stuff....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •