mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Lil' Help form Bend/Sisters Area Riders

I am heading to the Bend/Sisters area for a few days this summer and I am looking for some advice. We are doing the MRT one day, but I am looking for a 2 - 3 hour ride around the Sisters Area for another day I am thinking either the Upper Metolious/Windigo Loop or The Peterson Ridge system. Local riders, what are your thoughts?

Also, we are looking for some riding we can do with our kids who are all around 10 - 12. I am thinking the Phi's Network, but what are some other good options for "experienced" kids riders.

Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    PRT is good for kids. Very much like phil's area.

Best loop in my opinion that is about 3 hours is Up North fork from tumalo falls. Hit metolius windigo, go up and through a bunch of high elevation alpine meadows with streams, then come back down hill on Flagline. Finishing coming down Southfork.

20 miles of bliss. About 3000 feet of climbing if i recall. Uber sceneic.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Sketchbook's loop is awesome; one of my favorites.

If you want to stay around Sisters though you might consider a drop-off from Three Creeks Lakes down Tr.99 through PRT back to town. Tr.99 doesn't get a lot of bike traffic so you might want to check before you come to see if it's been cleared of blowdown yet. The Met/Win trail between Three Creeks and Happy Valley (the upper reaches of the trail) is very sandy and not great for biking.

PRT is great for kids.

Although it's not biking, kids love the Wizard Falls fish hatchery near Camp Sherman just outside of Sisters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Should be mentioned that Flagline trail is closed to all traffic until 8/15 (elk are doin it up there or somethin), so keep that on mind. Of course you could always just take Flagline Access down to Swampy-Dutchman connector, then climb Vista Butte trail to Flagline Tie and down to South Fork. Still a great ride but a little longer. Have a blast!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjuh View Post
    Should be mentioned that Flagline trail is closed to all traffic until 8/15 (elk are doin it up there or somethin), so keep that on mind.
    Hehe. Actually they were getting busy last Fall. They're calving now because of it.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Sketchbook's loop is awesome; one of my favorites.

If you want to stay around Sisters though you might consider a drop-off from Three Creeks Lakes down Tr.99 through PRT back to town. Tr.99 doesn't get a lot of bike traffic so you might want to check before you come to see if it's been cleared of blowdown yet. The Met/Win trail between Three Creeks and Happy Valley (the upper reaches of the trail) is very sandy and not great for biking.
    Due to the Pole Creek fire last year, the upper sections of Park Meadow and Met-Win (Trail 99) are most likely closed this season. Check with the Sisters Ranger District before heading up there.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey