mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Leslie Gulch/Succor Creek in E. OR

Thinking about a remote bikepacking trip in this area next spring. Looks rugged and beautiful. BLM and state land. Anyone been there? Info on weather patterns, bugs? Thanks for any help!

Here are a couple things plucked off the web:

Leslie Gulch/Succor Creek in E. OR-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382939631.677533.jpg
    Leslie Gulch/Succor Creek in E. OR-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382939656.982164.jpg
    Leslie Gulch/Succor Creek in E. OR-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382939669.344777.jpg

highly visible
    You might want to read this: Travelogue
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Leslie Gulch/Succor Creek in E. OR

Wow -- what a great write-up, photos and trip! And by some of our old-time Disciples of Dirt guys!

Thanks for the link. I would like to talk in person about this area some time.

PS -- Davey hasn't aged a bit!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have hunted chukar there (Succor Creek), and it is one of my favorite parts of Oregon. Beautiful rock formations, desolation. Was not paying attention to bike-friendly trails when I was there. Like much of the SE corner, spring can be very windy, muddy (sticky) when snow is melting, Summer can be very dusty, Fall is typically beautiful. Hot springs further south along the Owyhee River at Three Forks and up below the dam.

highly visible
    Yeah, spring can be tricky there. The trip Davey I did was in late May (I think) and it was dry as a bone. Three weeks earlier I'd been out in the same area to recon for the trip, and it was cold and wet with lots of water everywhere. I wouldn't go any earlier than April, but I'd say April and May can be good out there IF it's dry -- which some years can be a real if. June is reliably a little drier and warmer, and can be beautiful or can be boiling hot.

It would be ideal if you have some ability to be flexible in your scheduling of this trip, so you can go at a time when it's been dry for at least a week and isn't expected to rain when you go.

If you have to plan the exact dates in advance, prepare to be VERY flexible. Things can be godawful out there if it's rainy: hypothermic conditions for you, and thick mud for your bike that can pack up thick around your wheels and have you sliding all over the place. And you can end up a long, long, long way from having anyone else come along to help you. Davey and I did another bikepacking trip in 2008, at first hoping to return back to the same area but diverting to central Washington at the last minute when we realized SE OR was going to be a soupy mess.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo