2012 Race: April 28th!

Lemurian registration is now open.

The 19th annual Lemurian Shasta Classic will take place at Whiskeytown National Recreation Area on Saturday April 29th. Lemurian offers an extremely challenging 26 mi long course, a tamer 20 mile intermediate course and an 8 mile short course. The 2 longer courses include the infamous "Couch" trail descent. More race info, course maps, photos from 2005, and registration forms are available at the Lemurian website at www.shastalemurian.org. Or register online at Active.com.

Guided prerides of the long & intermediate courses will be held Sunday March 26. And its likely the Redding Mountain Bike Club's Saturday March 25th ride will preride all 3 courses, so riders from out of the area can make a weekend of it. More preride details will be available as the date draws closer.

The pics below are from sections of the Couch descent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

A couple more of the course.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

A couple more pics
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member

Thanks for the heads up !

Gotta check the old calendar and see if I can make it, looks like a crazy course
    Nice riding with you in the Mud...Come up to Bend for some SS action soon !
    Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    Looks sweet Ron. Was nice to meet you at the ACM2. Hope you liked the mudfest. Too bad you had to leave so soon, but I understand you had a long drive to do. We'll see what the calendar holds. Does the OBRA license work there, or does one need a NORBA license?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Looks sweet Ron. Was nice to meet you at the ACM2. Hope you liked the mudfest. Too bad you had to leave so soon, but I understand you had a long drive to do. We'll see what the calendar holds. Does the OBRA license work there, or does one need a NORBA license?
    Tim
    ACM2 was probably the muddiest ride I've ever done, and I loved it! I had a blast and enjoyed meeting everyone. Hope you got a t shirt, I put a bunch of 'em on the back of the pickup before I left. (I would loved to have stayed and had a few more beverages!) And no license is required at Lemurian. I hope you make the race, I'm headed to Whiskeytown on Sunday to check on the course.

Here's the '06 logo for the t-shirt and finishing pin.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    What is the elevation gain/loss for the 26 mile course?

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

Long course elevation gain is only 4,300 ft, but it feels like more. I think that is due to the fact that there is about 4 miles of flume trail (pancake flat) coupled with some pretty steep single track climbs.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Ron, which section on the course map is the flume trail?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Ron, which section on the course map is the flume trail?
    The flume trail is actually ridden in 2 parts. The first part is pretty short, about .75 mile. You enter it below the dam with a right turn from the pavement. The course leaves the flume when it hits the dirt road. You pick up the next section of flume after the Buck Hollow trail. The map is off a bit here as you exit Buck Hollow, turn right onto the dirt rd for only a couple hundred yards (the map shows maybe .5 mi of dirt rd.) then make a left up a short, steep hill (I usually push this one, but it is rideable) and connect to the flume. The flume is that squiggly line since it follows the contour of the hill. The water company had a bridge across the creek, we have a short, steep, but rideable downhill to the creek. Its a 100 yd hike up the other side to get back to the flume. You cross the pavement (black line) and pick up the flume again where its labeled Canal Trail. There is small but unavoidable mud bog in this section - the only significant mud on the entire course.

A friend of mine did a bit of research into Whiskeytown's history. The flume was built by the Clear Creek Water Company around 1840. They took water from Clear Creek near the French Gulch turnoff on Hwy 299. The flume ran all the way to west Redding. I don't know exactly how far that is, but I'd guess they must have had at least 35 miles of flume given how much it twists and turns. The water company paid for flume construction by selling water to miners for use in their mining ops.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    WHy don't you have a nice boardwalk built for us over that mud bog before the race

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"