Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Lawsuit filed against USFS for Timberline decision...

Environmental groups sue to stop mountain bike 'skills park' at Mount Hood's Timberline ski area | OregonLive.com

Next time one of those folks on the street asks me to donate to Sierra Club...

mtbr member
    Sad. The South side of mount hood looks like Ass in the summer. Wildflowers? ugh

Making fat cool since '71
    ...and those are some of the groups we as mountain bikers are being forced to deal with. I heard someone down here say the suit is about looking at the truth...but when they talk about wildflowers & the roads projects it's clear the truth can't be seen anywhere near that lawsuit.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We don't fund education and health care, but we will stop the mountain bike at any cost. Hate people, they are wrong! Truth? The older I get, the weirder "it" becomes.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just a step in the process. NEPA suits happen all the time in these situations and they can be won.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just build the bike park and it will create so much revenue that the lawsuits will just be a drop in the bucket. Once the groups see that the bike park does wonders for the mt. hood economy maybe they wont have any power for such lawsuits.

ronbo613
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    Just build the bike park and it will create so much revenue that the lawsuits will just be a drop in the bucket. Once the groups see that the bike park does wonders for the mt. hood economy maybe they wont have any power for such lawsuits.
    The idea that a mountain bike park will enhance the limited local economy near Timberline is 100% speculation.
    Any group that has the words "Friends of" in the title are immediately recognizable as Portland residents who feel they are better qualified to determine what is best for communities in which they do not live in order to preserve their weekend activities.
    Portland area mountain bikers should check out the long up and down history of Snow Summit Bike Park, a similar situation to this one.
    Even if the bike park is built, I believe the lawsuits and fighting between the two sides will continue.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    This probably won't be the last hurdle. These anti-MTB, self righteous yuppies will probably file a couple more lawsuits. They probably are well aware that they are just stalling and wasting timberlines resources, but the timberline people knew what they were getting into and seem pretty determined. Before all is said and done I'm pretty confident there will be lift assisted downhill at timberline.

B42
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    The idea that a mountain bike park will enhance the limited local economy near Timberline is 100% speculation.
    I assume that you are kidding with us.

I live in the local area and know of a large number if local jobs it will create for the two year build cycle, and at least one new bicycle shop that could be opened because of the projected influx of bikers, plus the people to run the lift for the bikes, bike rental store at TLine, the restaurants (need more people), staff to work in the trails, and "bike patrol" (maybe that's a volunteer position).

The vast majority of people that work those jobs live in government camp, welches, and sandy. Aka, the local economy.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Even if timberline were a fraction of what whistler is it would bring jobs, business opportunities, and money to the local and surrounding area. All those riders need to eat, maintain bikes, and have somewhere to sleep if they are traveling. I see it becoming a destination that will bring more users to many other trails in Oregon as well.

ronbo613
    I assume that you are kidding with us.

I live in the local area and know of a large number if local jobs it will create for the two year build cycle, and at least one new bicycle shop that could be opened because of the projected influx of bikers, plus the people to run the lift for the bikes, bike rental store at TLine, the restaurants (need more people), staff to work in the trails, and "bike patrol" (maybe that's a volunteer position).
    Well, no, I'm not kidding.
    What "projected influx of bikers" are you speaking of? Do you have some specific numbers, and from what source? Employees at the rental shop and lift operators? How many minimum wage jobs is that? What will a bike park do for the summer economy that the ski and snowboard camps haven't done?
    I respect your views, but stating that something is going to happen without facts or figures is what's called speculation. I'm not saying that everything you say won't happen, but at this point it's more like your opinion of what will happen.

I see it becoming a destination that will bring more users to many other trails in Oregon as well.
    Of course you do. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion, even without facts to back it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    This probably won't be the last hurdle. These anti-MTB, self righteous yuppies will probably file a couple more lawsuits. They probably are well aware that they are just stalling and wasting timberlines resources, but the timberline people knew what they were getting into and seem pretty determined. Before all is said and done I'm pretty confident there will be lift assisted downhill at timberline.
    Just to be a bit nit picky - yuppies = young urban professional (I.e. 20's to early 30's). :^) The folks behind these suits are far older and have much deeper, more ingrained views. They see The mountain as a special place that is being over used, over logged, over skied, over snow mobiled, etc. Not saying that I agree with them re the bike park, but we need to get past dismissing them as just being self righteous. We need to fully understand their perspective and address it. Too many times projects on public lands have been fast tracked to all of our detriments. They feel this is just another example. Personally, I don't think it has been fast tracked and think Timberline and Forestry have done a great job on impact assessment.

We all want the park, but it is everyone's land, so they do have the right to a voice. Simply dismissing them as enemy's isn't going to help the process, but will prolong it. Also, remember, without strong willed environmentalists, we wouldn't have the protections we have today. Again, I don't agree with them on this issue and think they will ultimately lose, but I'd rather have folks that care than abundant passivity.

juan
    Kind of unfortunate that this lawsuit = lawyers making money off people who like playing in the woods who have different opinions about who gets to play in the woods.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by juanmon View Post
    Kind of unfortunate that this lawsuit = lawyers making money off people who like playing in the woods who have different opinions about who gets to play in the woods.
    Typical Shakesperean attorney jab. This is not about attorneys making money. The attorneys did not get the ball rolling on this. The waste of time and money is on the Sierra Club and others like "BARKLESS". I am fortunate in that I get to grill the "BARK" canvassers that take up space in the Pearl on a regular basis. Pathetic is what it comes down too. BIKEPORTLAND CERTAINLY DOES NOT HELP!!! DO YOU HEAR ME JONATHAN?

Metalheadbikerider
    Really? Mountain bikers eat and drink. They need replacement parts. They need gasoline to get home. The park will require employees. Will they be be high paying jobs? Not all of them. They will be Summer jobs for young adults who need money for college, as well as jobs for those who may be unemployed.

BikePortland.org » Blog Archive » Research: Mountain biking boosts rural Oregon economies
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Metalheadbikerider
    It might be speculation but it's logical speculation. Bike park numbers are on the increase in the U.S., which means there is demand. With demand comes $$. You can find the facts you are looking for with some research. Here is a website to peruse for a list of parks to get started: MTBparks | Your Mountain Bike Park Guide
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    "Uppies" then.

I absolutely agree that Mt Hood is a wonderful place that needs to be protected, but whenever I try to have a discussion with one of these people they have an "anti everything except what I want to do attitude" and scoff at the very possibility of a sustainably built MTB trail.

The last guy I spoke with suggested that paved roads/sidewalks/paths were "MORE than sufficient for cyclists" (imagine a self righteous tone). I asked him if he would still hike the pacific crest trail if it was paved. Judging from his response he clearly couldn't see my point of view.

mtbr member
    Well, no, I'm not kidding.
    What "projected influx of bikers" are you speaking of? Do you have some specific numbers, and from what source? Employees at the rental shop and lift operators? How many minimum wage jobs is that? What will a bike park do for the summer economy that the ski and snowboard camps haven't done?
    Have you ever been to a bike park? Whistler? Mammoth? Northstar? Do you think Timberline would do this if it would not draw riders? Do you think they have not done feasibility studies? Call them if you want to see studies.

Sheesh, the panties in a bunch XC crowd is nearly as big a bunch of haters as the enviro nuts.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Delay

Oregon is an amazing place to live and ride with many options for mountain bikers. A thoughtfully built bike park on Mt Hood will only make it better. The opposing parties act like it's not also in Timberlines best interest to preserve the mountain.

I love Mt Hood and want my future children and their children to be able to enjoy it year round as much as I do. I wouldn't have written my letter in favor of the bike park if I thought the park would result in damage that would ruin the mountain for future generations.

My friends and I will be taking our good times and money to Whistler this year. I would've rather spent that time in my lovely home state of Oregon but I'm not going to complain about getting to ride Whistler!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on.

it means 'no problem'
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Here is what Roosevlet had to say in dedicating Timberline Lodge...

Roosevelt address at Timberline Lodge

This screams recreation to me.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    Sheesh, the panties in a bunch XC crowd is nearly as big a bunch of haters as the enviro nuts.
    Totally unnecessary sentence to end your post with and from reading your posts over the years, a bit out of character.

Ronbo has an opinion just as each of us on this forum do. Really all I see in his posts is a question as to what are the economic benefits expected to be for the Mt. Hood area from a Timberline bike park. If anyone has a link to Timberline's studies it would be great to see what they estimate. I suspect that there are many, myself included, on this forum that have never been to one of the premier gravity riding oriented destinations. Without that experience I have no basis to expect what the boost to the Mt Hood area economy.

While I hope that Timberline is allowed to build, I have concerns that other trails may be petitioned to be made off-limits to riding. The anti riding groups will use the "mt bikers have their exclusive area to use, they don't need this trail anymore" argument.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think Teddy would have handled the Sierra Club without too many struggles. I bet he would have been a "sturdy" mountain biker as well. Nothing quite like a big stick!

Metalheadbikerider
    You're way off base!!

DJ Giggity has always been a grumpy jackass!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I think Teddy would have handled the Sierra Club without too many struggles. I bet he would have been a "sturdy" mountain biker as well. Nothing quite like a big stick!
    You've got your Roosevelts mixed up!

Teddy was the sturdy, physical exercise promotoing rough rider, "speak softly and carry a big stick". Franklin was the wheelchair bound, new deal, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" and all that.

You could say that both Roosevelts probably did a lot to benefit mountain biking though. Teddy with setting aside millions of acres as national forests, and FDR through all the Civilian Conservation Corps and WPA infrastructure projects on federal lands (including trails, roads, campgrounds and Timberline Lodge).

Not sure about Teddy handling the Sierra club, being that he was supposedly friends with Sierra club founder John Muir and all. But, I bet he would have been pro mountain biker if not a rider himself. Or at least a lot more reasonable about it than today's Sierra Club which seems to be infested by a bunch of self-righteous urban, wanna be environmentalist D-bags.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast