mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Latest on Forest Park trails?

Haven't heard anything new on the likely hood of new trails being built in Forest Park. What ever happened to that plan?

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Forest Park needs more trails built like bush needs 4 more years. Access is the issue.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

highly visible
    Access to existing singletrack in FP (trails originally built for hiking) will never, ever happen. You'd sooner get W and Condi to admit that the war was the PNAC's idea from the start. If we want singletrack we'll have to build it ourselves and follow the process. Sorry, I have no idea on the status of those efforts. Check pumpclub.org.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Metalheadbikerider

Checked the PUMP website and

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Access to existing singletrack in FP (trails originally built for hiking) will never, ever happen. You'd sooner get W and Condi to admit that the war was the PNAC's idea from the start. If we want singletrack we'll have to build it ourselves and follow the process. Sorry, I have no idea on the status of those efforts. Check pumpclub.org.
    there is a trailwork party scheduled for Nov 2nd or 3rd (to work on FL 5), but no mention of any progress or plans for building new singletrack. On one hand I admire what PUMP is trying to accomplish by working with and through the bureaucracy, and on the other hand I am wondering what we as a vocal group of citizens could do to speed up the process and force the issue a little sooner. You know, a little nonviolent resistance to the forces that cage us like animals on gravel roads and road-like firelanes. The problem is that we lack leadership on this issue, no one knows what to do so we do nothing (or poach WW at night).

Any ideas? A little mtbr brainstorming couldn't hurt.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Metalheadbikerider

I disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    Forest Park needs more trails built like bush needs 4 more years. Access is the issue.
    while some of the existing trails would be great, some mtb "right of way" trails would be nice to keep us separate from the hikers (that we would maintain). We also need to take advantage of the elevation gain/loss to build some longer descents into the ST picture. Firelane 5 is fun, 2 minutes of fun that is.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    I question the relevance of the "trails originally built for hiking" factor. Bikes can be destructive, but they don't have to be.

BSNYC

Metalheadbikerider

No doubt about it.

I question the relevance of the "trails originally built for hiking" factor. Bikes can be destructive, but they don't have to be.
    I (and perhaps Glowboy) don't think the other users want to share, so we may have a better chance at getting new trails to use. Maybe we need to start an MTBR group to begin attending these meetings, in addition to the PUMP reps, so that info gets disseminated to the rest of us. I would venture a guess that there are more non-PUMP riders than PUMP riders in the PDX area, and many of us are willing to help out if we are told how to do so.

highly visible
    I wasn't referring to whether bikes might be destructive on those trails. To be honest though, I think in a lot of places they would: much of the singletrack I've hiked on in FP is fairly clay-ish dirt without rocks or gravel and would probably be subject to enough erosion to raise red a red alert among the non-biking groups.

And that (as Brian alluded to) what I meant by my above comment. There is no way in hell the existing user groups would allow the existing hiking trails to be opened to bikes. Even if they did, all of these trails are busy enough in the summer that the conflict level would be high, as would be the risk of an eventual high-profile collision that could result in us getting less access than we have now. Don't take our current level of access for granted: there was once a time when we didn't have any access to Forest Park.

Besides, I think we can all agree (again, as Brian mentioned) that we'd like more trails that take advantage of Forest Park's massive elevation changes, and that we'd like to take them at speeds that would not be safe (especially around corners) if there are a lot of hikers around. Building our own trails is the only solution.

BTW (I think you were kidding, but not everyone reading this might "get it"): please no one go out and poach WW at night, especially in the winter. You might not be causing damage, but you do leave tracks. And many of our local hikers freak out when they see bike tracks on a trail they know is closed to bikes.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. I just cringe when I see skid marks and washed-out corners when I'm...ummm...out inspecting the trails for damage. There's definitely steeper stuff that's too greasy to ride when it's wet, and there's definitely times when it's so wet that nobody, hikers included, could be on the trails without damaging them.

I'd like to see some loops set aside for bikers by appropriating a tiny portion of the trail system-Hardesty adjacent to upper Springville, and Maple adjacent to lower Saltzman. I just can't see the justification for high-impact trailbuilding when so much of the existing system is vastly under-utilized.

BSNYC

mtbr member
    As PUMP's Forest Park Co-Representative, I can tell you that there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that don't seem to make the information loop. I cannot be everywhere at once and on every forum, though I do my best.

In the PUMP trail party posting, I did give a brief synopsis of where we are as far as Forest Park Singletrack goes. Actually, that was the entire first paragraph. I also outlined why it is important for everyone who is complaining about "no singletrack" to put their time and energy where their mouths are and show up.

This trail party on September 3rd (this Saturday) is our demonstration of how we will maintain our trails without additional funding strain on the already streached system. One of the key issues/concerns about building real singletrack in Forest Park is how it will be maintained. This means "US," fellow riders and lovers of Fat Tires.

The city is coming around, we are getting people's attention, and we must do it diplomatically or exactly what has happened in the past will continue: Nothing. We, as mountain bikers, are ombudsman of our sport -- we are each either a mountain biking advocate, or enemy through our actions.

I am dedicating hours a day to our effort. I am working on behalf of PUMP and our sport. Please be a constructive part of Portland's mountain biking future.

I will be posting the results of our first Forest Park Mountain Biking Task Force meeting to the PUMP newletter, which is accessable via our website at www.pumpclub.org

Kindest regards,

Shanti Ware
    Forest Park Co-Representative
    PUMP
    mtb_grrl@msn.com

Metalheadbikerider

I will be there.

Thanks for the info., it is much appreciated. And thanks for your hard work.
    Anyone else care to join me from mtbr??
    Brian

mtbr member
    Thank you, Brian - You're the bomb!