BIGME

Lake BIlly ( The Cove at Palisades)

Just got word that the family vacation has moved from Brownlee reservoir and that we are now going to be at The Cove at Palisades State Park north of Bend.

Any suggestions for that immediate area??

We will be there for the first week of May.

Also I will have 4 yr, 2 yr, and (approx) 4 week old kiddies that I cannot leave with a post prego wife all day for.

So any suggestions for 1 to 2 hour rides that don't require much drive time would really be appreciated.

thanks
    I might have amnesia, but at least I don't have amnesia!

mtbr member
    couple quick suggestions:

The closest area I've ridden my bike is up the Metolius River arm of Lake Billy. At my last check (couple years ago) Monty Campground was closed and so was the road to get there. To moto vehicles anyways. From the road closure you ride up the road till it ends and there is a primitive trail along the Metolius River for about a mile before the road down from Camp Sherman starts up again. Its a primitive double track ride for a lot of it, the trail has some hike a bike. Could be a good adventure. Nice area as far as scenery goes. Short drive from The Cove. You're not going to brag about the sick AM ride you did, but you'll escape the family for awhile and get your riding on.

The closest known mtn biking is Grey Butte/Smith Rocks. The closest access is off Hwy 97 at the "McFeeters Turf" sign just north of Terrebone. That's SW Park Ln gives access to the west side of Grey Butte.

BIGME
    SYC,

Thank you. Sounds like a good place to start. I appreciate it

highly visible
    Agreed, Grey/Smith definitely your best bet around there. Weather permitting, that is: you do NOT want to ride there if it's wet.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Shevlin Park and Peterson Ridge are both about a half an hour drive. I don't know if that fits your time constraints but there is good riding to be sure.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

BIGME
    I checked the state parks website and it looks like Smith is rocky. that makes me happy.

are the "don't ride it wet warning" due to mud, or imminent death??

Any recommendations on trail maps of these areas??

Once again, thanks for the help folks.

Gittyup!

Trail map info

Don't ride wet is due to mud - very thick, peanut butter, make life miserable mud.

Here's a link to Smith Rock info on ormtb.com:

http://ormtb.com/Central_Oregon/CO_Trails/GrayButte.htm

Treadmaps.com also has a map - I think it's the Central Oregon 2 map if I remember right.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGME
    I checked the state parks website and it looks like Smith is rocky. that makes me happy.

are the "don't ride it wet warning" due to mud, or imminent death??

Any recommendations on trail maps of these areas??

Once again, thanks for the help folks.

BIGME
    Good Stuff. My Mother was born and raised in Terrebone and she was excited to hear that i am planning on riding in the area. I really appreciate the help.