mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Labor Day Ride Fest

Mt. Ashalnds trails and weather are a call'en!
    The weather has thak'en a turn twards the cooler side and am and pm rides are real plesant now.
    So... Ashland Mountain Adventures is having a "GET OUT AND RIDE" weekend special. friday the 4th through monday the 7th, If you ride our shuttle twice you get a third one free!
    It must be used in these dated by the same person, thats it. So talk your XC buddy that says you should ride up every time to give it a try and see how there feel'en when there done! We convert alot these days!
    If that isn't enough, join me on a ride up to the top and then a long rout down via, Time Warp, Horn Gap and Hit Road on monday morn'en! 34 miles, 6000+ele up and down, 6ish hrs. Are you up to it Wes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I want to know more. I will be spending the weekend in Cave Junction with my family. I would like to ride with my son (11). He has got good downhill skills on his fully rigid 46er. I don't want him to have a frustrating experience with trails that are too technical. We rode Flat Creek (4 miles) outside of Oakridge last weekend. He thought that was a short ride. I would ride my fully rigid ss 69er. Do you think you can give me a fairly accurate appraisal of the trails with that background information?

Thanks for any information.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This will be a BLAST! If he handled Flat Rock then most of the trails in Ashland will be a sinch. It is 12.5 miles down the Super D corce and 20is if you go big to the west side of the horn. There are a couple of ways down the lower mountain so no one run has to be the same.
    Call us at 541-499-2298 for all the info you need for a killer weekend of riding and a realy fun town to boot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok. We will be there on Sunday. We probably won't get into town until after 1000. The ladies are going to shop around town. I will call you to discuss arrangements.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, my son and I made it for one shuttle up Mt Ashland on Sunday. My commitment to my son pushed me through a bad case of stomach virus. I felt like crap the whole weekend. I am glad I did it.

I can say one thing for sure about Ashland or any mtb area. Mt biking is an adventure that can only be evaluated accurately through your own personal experience. The greater your sense of adventure and your acceptance of challenges the more fun it is.

I tried to get a fair evaluation based on my son's age (11), experience (novice) and our bikes (both fully rigid). The on-line response was positive. So, I made the committment to my son. When we showed up for the shuttle, everyone had big hit bikes and full body armour. The first shuttle driver was skeptical and said we would most likely be riding fire roads all the way down. Oh well, I wasn't going to disappoint my son at this point. The second shuttle driver was much more positive. She gave us a map and encouraged us to take at least a couple sections of single track. Thankfully, she cared enough to provide us with a map and some good directions for getting down the mountain.

Alex really let it go, down the fire road to the first section of single track. I was really nervous that he was going to loose it. The wind in my face helped me forget my stomach virus. We climbed up the first section of singletrack. It was a great winding descent. Alex was doing great. There were a few rough spots in some of the corners but nothing too difficult. We just had to slow down a little to get through the stutter bumps and loose corners.

We flew down the fire road playing on the berms to the next section of singletrack. This section ended up being more challenging. It was steeper, rockier and more very loose switchbacks. It still wasn't enough to shy away from just for a few sections that were a little more difficult. It was a good skill challenge to find a line through it. Unfortunately, Alex took a hard fall in the rocks at the very end of the section. It was bad. I was concerned there might be serious injury. He had a bad gash under his knee and he was laying on his back in some knarly rocks with his bike on top of him. We walked down a few yards where the trail met the road again.

We cruised down the road until we got to Four Corners at the top of Caterpillar trail. We took a break and Alex evaluated his condition. He was still shaken up too much to ride more singletrack. He suggested that we come back the next day to do the rest of the singletrack to the bottom. Unfortunately, our trip plans wouldn't allow us to do that.

We enjoyed the ride down the road back to town and met up with the girls at Lithia Park. Alex and I both want to go back to experience more of the trails. He has earned an upgrade to a full size mtb with at least a front shock.

Thanks to Ashland Mountain Adventures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks to all that came and road with us this Labor day weekend. Glad dirtytown and son enjoyed there ride despite Alex's crash. Have a great rest of the summer, not much left now... Bring on the rain, Im ready for some trail work!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Dirtydown - I'm glad you and your son had fun. You need to come back in the spring before the trails get thrashed. I rode from Mt A down on Monday and was surprised at how loose the corners were and how bad the brake bumps and ruts were. Glad to hear the crash he took didn't phase him too bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I called Sue yesterday to let her know we got down just fine. She said exactly the same thing. After I described the section that Alex fell in, she knew exactly the spot I was talking about. She said it gets a lot of people.

I am trying to pump Alex up for getting into mtb racing. I always encourage my kids to get involved in activities that I can do, too. He needs a lot of work on climbing. If I can get my ass in shape over the winter, I would like to come down for the Spring Thaw. I could spend a week's vacation down there in the Spring mtbing and road riding between Ashland and Applegate. A week around Memorial Day might be just about right.