Knomer

Knolly Chilcotin coming to Oregon Coast

I'm hitting the road on Nov 22 and driving from L.A. to San Fran, then driving to Gearhart, Oregon for Thanksgiving. I will be in that area for a few days, so if anyone is riding or wants to take a look at a Chilcotin, please let me know.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I bet jgusta would if he's around. Chilcotin seems like a great bike for him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I'm hitting the road on Nov 22 and driving from L.A. to San Fran, then driving to Gearhart, Oregon for Thanksgiving. I will be in that area for a few days, so if anyone is riding or wants to take a look at a Chilcotin, please let me know.
    Good call TK, thanks for looking out for me. Got the Chili, SB66 (rode one at Cyclepath last weekend and was overall impressed with it's great pedalling attributes and general feel of the bike) and the HD is still on the membrane from when I rode yours last year (great pedalling/handling AM rig) for prospective rides in 2012. Only can pick one though and like the fact that all my parts from current bike (besides FD) would swap right over to the Chili without having to fret getting a tapered steerer fork/crown, new HS, new stem, etc. like I would have to run if going with an HD or SB66. And the geometry on the Chili is pretty much just how I would want it stock with a my 160/170 fork.

So, yep I very much would want to check one out. Not much riding in the Gearhart area that I know of, but some stuff in and around the Portland area if you are stopping by DB? Lucky 13 bike shop is the only local Knolly dealer I know of in Portland, and they aren't planning on having any Chili's in until after the next run sometime early Feb for a couple of buyers, so would be stoked to check one out before hand.
    Thanks.
    JonG.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would grab this deal and ride it like a crazed man: Updated El Guapo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I would grab this deal and ride it like a crazed man: Updated El Guapo
    Smokin' deal and looks to be a pretty solid frame. Hideous orange color, horst-link is alright and tapered HT would require new crown/steerer for me and feel in between sizes with the med and large sizing, whereas a med Chili, SB66, or large HD fits me just about perfect!

If going budget on a new AM frame, probably would consider this in a large: Nuke Proof Mega Frame - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

Good suggestion though, heard the EG is a pretty solid riding rig. Hopped on one at MBO a couple of summers ago and felt alright cruising around, but didn't hit the trails hard on one to really tell.
    Ride On!

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Good call TK, thanks for looking out for me. Got the Chili, SB66 (rode one at Cyclepath last weekend and was overall impressed with it's great pedalling attributes and general feel of the bike) and the HD is still on the membrane from when I rode yours last year (great pedalling/handling AM rig) for prospective rides in 2012. Only can pick one though and like the fact that all my parts from current bike (besides FD) would swap right over to the Chili without having to fret getting a tapered steerer fork/crown, new HS, new stem, etc. like I would have to run if going with an HD or SB66. And the geometry on the Chili is pretty much just how I would want it stock with a my 160/170 fork.

So, yep I very much would want to check one out. Not much riding in the Gearhart area that I know of, but some stuff in and around the Portland area if you are stopping by DB? Lucky 13 bike shop is the only local Knolly dealer I know of in Portland, and they aren't planning on having any Chili's in until after the next run sometime early Feb for a couple of buyers, so would be stoked to check one out before hand.
    Thanks.
    JonG.
    Crosspost:

I will be staying in Portland on Nov 26 and 27, perhaps we can ride these trails? Or at least, meet in town for a beer. At some point, I'll need to stop by Lucky 13 bike shop as well.

Let me know

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have never heard of a Nuke Proof frame. Great looking deal! The Titus looks good but I'm not sure it is any better than your current ride. I had a 2002 Titus Switchblade that was a work of art! I like Titus stuff a lot. I kind of like the orange but taste is personal. I would rather have polished.

Knomer
    There seems to be some growing buzz about all this, so what I'll probably do is pick a meeting time at Lucky 13 Bikes, either Sat Nov 26 or Sun Nov 27. Meet people at shop opening time, hang for a couple minutes so those not riding can see the bike, go ride with whoever/where-ever, then meet again at the shop for anyone who couldn't make the morning "viewing".

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Smokin' deal and looks to be a pretty solid frame. Hideous orange color, horst-link is alright and tapered HT would require new crown/steerer for me and feel in between sizes with the med and large sizing, whereas a med Chili, SB66, or large HD fits me just about perfect!

If going budget on a new AM frame, probably would consider this in a large: Nuke Proof Mega Frame - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

Good suggestion though, heard the EG is a pretty solid riding rig. Hopped on one at MBO a couple of summers ago and felt alright cruising around, but didn't hit the trails hard on one to really tell.
    There are headset options to use straight steerer forks in tapered HT frames. We have one in stock.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    There are headset options to use straight steerer forks in tapered HT frames. We have one in stock.
    I noticed that on the site, but unfortunately I am running a 1.5" steerer on my fork so sounds like it wouldn't work unless I got a new fork or crown/steerer. Thanks anyways, frames look good!
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The frame looks great: Titus El Guapo - BikeRadar and Review - Titus El Guapo | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking and Titus El Guapo All Mountain Full Suspension Reviews Maybe the best deal in all mountain! Great bike. I would buy it if I was a wanna be freerider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    The frame looks great: Titus El Guapo - BikeRadar and Review - Titus El Guapo | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking and Titus El Guapo All Mountain Full Suspension Reviews Maybe the best deal in all mountain! Great bike. I would buy it if I was a wanna be freerider
    Hmmm..doesn't sound ideal for me. I am after a low, slack, trail shreddy machine, not so much a tall, steep'ish heavy hitter. Probably pick up an SB66 frame from Cyclepath sometime over the next month or two and get it all dialed in this winter and sell the Rune when done. The SB66 is a great pedalling machine from when I rode one the other weekend and the geo/sizing of a medium is pretty much dialed for me like the Chilcotin is. Still have to get a new fork steerer/crown from RS though, but at least my 30.9 KS seatpost will work with it.

OT...Coyote was the bomb today, been hitting it every week for the past few weeks and been perfect trail conditions as of late. Good trail riding!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The SB66 looks sweet for sure and the geo is on par with what I like so suffice to say the bike is high on my radar. Care to elaborate more on your ride jgusta? I am coming off a banshee as well as the pivots have turned me off to the brand however, I see there are a growing number of complaints of people crushing the switch pivot bearings on the yeti. Anyway eager to get anybody's impression of the sb66 that rides hard in the PNW.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Coyote is good. It is a bit of a hiker trail but has sections that are freaking awesome. The better weather is a good thing up there. The weather here is painful with all the drip and cloudiness. Certainly makes me long for the Southwest. Nonetheless, I got three rides in over the weekend. Post was freaking awesome on Friday! Perfect dirt. It is probably muddy now.

Yeti doesn't look bad. It would make a good placeholder for a RFX or Chilcotin. I would see if Dusty would let you take the Chilcotin out for a spin.

Knomer
    Hey everyone,

Since no ride plans were actually established, I guess I will just show up at Lucky 13 bikes today at around 1pm, with no intention of actually hitting the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Hey everyone,

Since no ride plans were actually established, I guess I will just show up at Lucky 13 bikes today at around 1pm, with no intention of actually hitting the trail.
    Hey Dusty, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about this weekend, been inundated with work and family stuff over the past week. Bought a new frame last week as well, so no need to swing by the shop to check out the bike, but if you want to ride sometime today, give me a holler (PM). Going to hit some trails, about 20 min out of Portland if you care to join.

JonG.
    Ride On!

Knomer
    I've been given directions to a place called Sandy Ridge, so it looks like I'll be riding there tomorrow, probably around 10am. Just fyi.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Sandy Ridge is a good ride but bring your rain great. Hopefully the rain will hold on until noon.