Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Obviously Single

Knebal Springs: sweet!

My friend Tim and I hauled ourselves out to Knebal Springs yesterday, since Tim is about to move 5 hours north and have to suffer WA riding. (LOL)

Since it looks like it might snow up there today, I think we timed it just right!

Here's the sign at the campground:

Here's Tim as we are unpacking:

Here's a self-portrait:

We started on the road to get warmed up. Here's Tim:

A few minutes into the ride we got our first good view of Mt. Hood:

A couple of other Snowy Peaks are visible in the background here (my iPhone sucks as a camera ;-)):

Tim again, a little closer to the Hood:

And a shot of "Low Point Bridge", just before the climb back to Knebal Springs Campground:

Tim waiting for me to get my arse up the trail and quit taking pictures:

And, lastly, a view east. If you zoom in, you can see desert on the horizon. The view of green vs. brown here is striking:

I might post up a view of the Google Earth track from our ride later, time permitting ...

Enjoy!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Nice pics, Lee. Did you guys get to Lewis River a few weeks ago? Ron & I did another expedition/exploration ride on Saturday (about 29 miles & 4500 feet of elevation gain). What are the chances of you getting back out here for an Old Man Pass ride in the next week or 2? It's getting cold & the rain will get going soon too, but we should be able to pull off a nice ride & then finish at Walking Man Brewery.

ronbo613
    Yep, no Old Man Pass ride yet this year.
    Local riding is a pretty good workout as well.

meatier showers
    That's Larry Heckler! So he's moving north... maybe that's why he just unsubscribed from the Disciples of Dirt's listserve today... hate to see him go... Lee, you'll make sure Tim comes to Fall Barbie Camp, won't you?

--Sparty/Davey
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Singletrack Addict
    Man, I've only ridden a short leg of that trail so far this year, I hope I get the chance to ride the whole thing again soon.
    Thanks for the pics!

ronbo613
    Riding in Washington isn't all that bad.

Obviously Single

More Data, please ...

Here's some more data from my Garmin GPS ...

Google-Earth view of the ride:

Ascent (software for Mac) view of the ride:

And the Ascent elevation profile:
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

Sad update

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    That's Larry Heckler! So he's moving north... maybe that's why he just unsubscribed from the Disciples of Dirt's listserve today... hate to see him go... Lee, you'll make sure Tim comes to Fall Barbie Camp, won't you?

--Sparty/Davey
    Davey: Sorry to say I could not talk him into it. And that was about the only way I was going to make it, since I don't particularly appreciate camping in the cold enough to drive down there alone. (I'm a major wussy w/r/t cold-weather camping, but that's another thread.)

I have been riding a bunch with Larry (LOL), and my wife has been filling him up with home-cooked meals, but he's still determined to move where's there's even more rain than in OR!
    The Lee-Man

ronbo613
    I like that Google Earth map. Nice perspective.
    Lots of good riding in that part of the Mt. Hood National Forest.

meatier showers
    Dang... what an awesome looking ride. When ya goin' again? I wanna tag along...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Obviously Single

Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon
    Nice pics, Lee. Did you guys get to Lewis River a few weeks ago? Ron & I did another expedition/exploration ride on Saturday (about 29 miles & 4500 feet of elevation gain). What are the chances of you getting back out here for an Old Man Pass ride in the next week or 2? It's getting cold & the rain will get going soon too, but we should be able to pull off a nice ride & then finish at Walking Man Brewery.
    Don: I felt guilty 'cause I didn't call you or Ron on this one -- it was kind of a last-minute idea amidst much beer on my part the night before. (Tim and I had ridden Hagg Lake on Saturday, and I wanted more riding with him before he moves!)

I think chances might be good for a ride. The weather looks ok this weekend, and the only thing I have planned is some Thank-You-BBQ in Tillamook Forest on Saturday afternoon. Doing anything Sunday?
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Sunday looks like the best weather day this weekend so that's good. I need to check my social calendar (to-do list of home & garden projects) but I think Sunday is pretty open. I have to be back by 5pm for the Chargers/Steelers game but the good news is we can watch it at a local place with a big screen & Walking Man beer.

Anybody else want in? Maybe Lee can carpool with someone.

The Dude Abides
    Hey Lee,

What kind of GPS do you use? I'm thinking of picking one up.

Thanks
    This aggression will not stand, man.

mtbr member
    i've rode up there a few times and it is really nice. depending on what the weather does these next few days, i may be planning a trip to do the kneble loop on sunday. if it stops snowing, i would really like to ride ape canyon/plains one last time this year. we'll see.

can i tag along as well if the kneble thing goes on? i would have a pre-ride french press and a post-ride cooler
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Nice presentation on the Google earth and gps stuff. As others have said....that looks like a great ride, and can I tag along next time? Safety-breaks all around!!

Singletrack Addict
    Yeah, way cool. I guess I should get my arse out of the dark ages and get on the gps train . . .

Looks like you guys did the Eightmile Creek-Knebal Springs figure eight. That's a great looper!

If you Eugene/Bend folk get up here before the snow flies, let us know, there's some great stuff up in there.

-Charlie

ronbo613
    i may be planning a trip to do the kneble loop on sunday.
    Might be a little snow to 5000' on Saturday, it will be nippy so be prepared.

Obviously Single

Good job! Ge305

Quote Originally Posted by theeric
    Hey Lee,

What kind of GPS do you use? I'm thinking of picking one up.

Thanks
    It's a Garmin Edge 305, with Heart Rate. I have the cadance attachment, as well, but I use that when riding the road bike. The 305 supports up to 3 bikes. I have it mounted on my stem on each bike.

I use Ascent software on my Apple laptop (since I refuse to own any Pee Cees).
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

... and if we just ... Perhaps no, perhaps yes ...

Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Nice presentation on the Google earth and gps stuff. As others have said....that looks like a great ride, and can I tag along next time? Safety-breaks all around!!
    As mentioned elsewhere, it may be kind of nippy up there this weekend. But I'm thinking of riding Sunday in WA. All I know is good folks, good riding, and it ends at a brewery. Safety first!
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Nice LeeMan,

It's been years since I last rode Knebal, it was always a fun loop I really need to get back over that way again.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Yeah, way cool. I guess I should get my arse out of the dark ages and get on the gps train . . .

Looks like you guys did the Eightmile Creek-Knebal Springs figure eight. That's a great looper!

If you Eugene/Bend folk get up here before the snow flies, let us know, there's some great stuff up in there.

-Charlie
    Last weekend I did Eightmile-Knebal-450 to Lookout Mountain, then back down. Awesome ride. Spectacular views.

And yes, the snow is coming fast. I could have sworn I got hit with some snow/sleet when I was making my way up to Family Man at Post tonight. And I heard that some places as low as 4500' got dusted pretty good last night, up on the mountain.

I need to get a GPS and start making some maps of the more XC friendly loops at Syncline; there's too much there that I've ridden once or twice, but couldn't find my way back to again.

mtbr member
    You missed the Dakine trail! It sure beats the boring road climb to the KS TH. Did you return to Knebal Spring CG via the Bottle Prairie trail? We rode Bottle P. earlier this month, a bit dusty but still a hoot.

Has anyone ridden Cooks Meadow trail to High Prairie this year? The FS and some volunteers did some major re-routes on the initial fall-line climb off of Hwy44 last year and this summer.

Lee Man, Your backyard trails were in perfect shape last weekend, cool temps and nice tacky trail conditions on Gales, Historic and Storey Burn........one of my favs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Nice LeeMan,

It's been years since I last rode Knebal, it was always a fun loop I really need to get back over that way again.

there is single track from the horse camp so there is no longer the road slog! great trail.

i'm heading up sunday morning. if you smell coffee in the p lot, come say hi and get a cup.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Well - I can tell you all, that the day to be up there was absolutely Friday!!! Wife and I were up there, trail was in excellent condition...skis were as blue bird as they come...temp was about 45/50! She on a new bike - All the worries in life stayed at bay for several hours. With that said - there might be some good rain up there this morning, as it has been raining here in HR since the wee hours. Enjoy the ride if you all make it up - still one of my favorite trails up on Hood! Whooot Whooot! If for some reason you all don't make it up today, and would be thinking of getting up in the near future - I'd be in to catching up also for a loop!

Ciao,

-A-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    Has anyone ridden Cooks Meadow trail to High Prairie this year? The FS and some volunteers did some major re-routes on the initial fall-line climb off of Hwy44 last year and this summer.
    Yes! Rode it 8/8. It was still a little soft climbing the lower switchbacks, and maybe about a third of the way up there was a huge tree across the trail, but sure beat the gravel road! A big "thank you" to the FS and volunteers for the hard work! Looks like the bridge may be finished soon too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast