mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. Klassen, Romaniak, & others...

spotted near Salem. Pinkbike.com has a story that says they are in Oregon filming with Ambrose from Pistn' Broke Productions (Back in the Saddle flicks). Says Cory LeClerc had passed "thru some area with potential" and thus talked the group into an Oregon trip after a planned Utah trip failed. Photos on the site so far are limited and one seems to have the ocean in the background (definetly not Salem!)
    Oregon terrain in a mtb video, Bend (I think) and Ashland have made it in the past. Anyone have the dl on this, they hittin up Falls City, or what?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Well, where were they??

Pinkbike.com updated story is they are back in BC but they traveled Oregon Hwy 101 to north Cali and back. Filmed for their movie and hit up something they dug on for a day (a hip and double?) somewhere on the coast. Wish I knew more of Oregon's points and rock formations just offshore........any detectives out there, Here's a link...
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ckdroadtrip2.html

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Who are they?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyStinkyDude
    spotted near Salem. Pinkbike.com has a story that says they are in Oregon filming with Ambrose from Pistn' Broke Productions (Back in the Saddle flicks). Says Cory LeClerc had passed "thru some area with potential" and thus talked the group into an Oregon trip after a planned Utah trip failed. Photos on the site so far are limited and one seems to have the ocean in the background (definetly not Salem!)
    Oregon terrain in a mtb video, Bend (I think) and Ashland have made it in the past. Anyone have the dl on this, they hittin up Falls City, or what?
    I must be in the dark but I ain't a clue who they are....

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Um, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I must be in the dark but I ain't a clue who they are....

Jaybo
    are you living in a dark cave! You never heard of Tyler Klassen or Steve Romaniak? Ever heard of the Red Bull Rampage or the Race Face Ultimate Freeride Contest? Try picking up your latest "extreme" mtb dvd and watching it (like Disorder 6: Unchained). I forget that Oregon is so chock full of roadies and xc'ers. Us downhill/freeriders are curious when the world's best come to visit our state!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I had never heard of them either. After reading the link you provided...well, you don't want to know what I think of their trip.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Actually..

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I had never heard of them either. After reading the link you provided...well, you don't want to know what I think of their trip.
    I would like to hear what you think of their trip to Oregon. I actually was quite puzzled by your response. Like I said, "Us downhill/freeriders are curious when the world's best come to visit our state!!". Was it the "rednecks" thing in the article? By the way...that photo of the dude on the motorcycle (thumbs up, redneck style) is actually Cory LeClerc, another professional (Canadian) downhill/freeride dude, but not as well known as the others on this trip. But then again, so far no Oregon riders have even heard of Tyler Klassen or Steve Romaniak, go figure! Ever heard of Tinker Juarez or Mark Weir...I bet so. Sometimes living here just makes me sad.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Nope..can't say that I have....

are you living in a dark cave! You never heard of Tyler Klassen or Steve Romaniak? Ever heard of the Red Bull Rampage or the Race Face Ultimate Freeride Contest? Try picking up your latest "extreme" mtb dvd and watching it (like Disorder 6: Unchained). I forget that Oregon is so chock full of roadies and xc'ers. Us downhill/freeriders are curious when the world's best come to visit our state!!
    I have heard of the Red Bull Rampage. No interest in freeriding stuff. I can't believe those guys are still walking. They are going to be hurting as they age. More power to 'em...

Jaybo

Nat
    Solo contendre
    "CKD was busting into full production as Tyler and myself starting making rounds on our line that proved to be one of the coolest that we had ever ridden. With the nuggets in the bag the next mourning was spent pinning the natural untouched lines that this amazing piece of land had to offer. Not bad for a 7 day winger trip! Segment bagged we capped it all with a great drive coming back up the 101 coast highway. I think everyone was shocked that this trip even had a departure to show from it ha-ha. Good luck in Costa Rica boys! Look to see all the action in CKD this summer! Romaniuk Out!"

Can someone translate the above for me? Are they talking about riding bikes?

I would like to hear what you think of their trip to Oregon. I actually was quite puzzled by your response. Like I said, "Us downhill/freeriders are curious when the world's best come to visit our state!!". Was it the "rednecks" thing in the article? By the way...that photo of the dude on the motorcycle (thumbs up, redneck style) is actually Cory LeClerc, another professional (Canadian) downhill/freeride dude, but not as well known as the others on this trip. But then again, so far no Oregon riders have even heard of Tyler Klassen or Steve Romaniak, go figure! Ever heard of Tinker Juarez or Mark Weir...I bet so. Sometimes living here just makes me sad.
    Leo,
    You're just in the wrong forum. All the Oregon freehuckers don't visit this section because the folks that lurk here don't know freeride... It's ok- post over in the DH/FR forum and you'll get a response...

Shiggy probably just wonders if the crew that came down just scoped land and created some new "hits" without permission...

Those guys were fools for not putting in time in either Falls City or PC.

mtbr member
    I have heard of the Red Bull Rampage. No interest in freeriding stuff. I can't believe those guys are still walking. They are going to be hurting as they age. More power to 'em...

Jaybo
    Check out the mtb video, "The Collective", you won't be dissapointed, a perfect blend of singeltrack heaven, cinematography, a the world's best mtb terrain. The section of Romaniuk bombing at speeds faster than the moving truck filming was quite impressive. Definitely worth checking out XC to FR geeks.

- Jon

mtbr member
    I am a XC - FR rider here in the NW and was totally blown away by Romaniuk's section in the vid, "The Collective" and Klassen and the gang riding in Utah. The other guys' on this forum I think are more XC oriented, but I think they should definitely check out the "Collective" if hadn't already. The Collective 2 is coming out in April titled, "Roam", can't wait.

I am with you in thinking that is pretty impressive that they came through Oregon to some unknown/undisclosed area to ride here since they ride the absolute best stuff in the world on a frequent basis. Pretty sweet and I am just a native trail geek here Oregon.

Out, Jon.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hey, man....

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Check out the mtb video, "The Collective", you won't be dissapointed, a perfect blend of singeltrack heaven, cinematography, a the world's best mtb terrain. The section of Romaniuk bombing at speeds faster than the moving truck filming was quite impressive. Definitely worth checking out XC to FR geeks.

- Jon
    My bike is at River City because I'm having some fits with my front brake. I want to hook up and ride the Larch ride sometime. I would rent a bike in Hood River tomorrow but I hear it is going to pour rain tomorrow. I worked on the house today. We need a condo

I'm a puss! I admit, I like all my bones intact without busted teeth and the such. Freeride stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

Take care,

Jay

mtbr member
    My bike is at River City because I'm having some fits with my front brake. I want to hook up and ride the Larch ride sometime. I would rent a bike in Hood River tomorrow but I hear it is going to pour rain tomorrow. I worked on the house today. We need a condo

I'm a puss! I admit, I like all my bones intact without busted teeth and the such. Freeride stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

Take care,

Jay
    Hey Jay,

Yeah that sounds great to hook up for a ride at Larch, actually Three Corner has been epic lately. Last weekend was the best ride for me this year so far. I worked on our new house all day today and hope to get out before the down pour hits tomorrow. Probably ride Three Corner again for a couple of hours since it was so good last week.

Late, Jon.

Oh, I would hit up Paul at Performance Bike - Mall 205 to get your brakes going, he does good work and usually has your stuff ready within a week, if not a couple of days.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta

- Jon
    The Collective is definately the quintessential mtb film. Outstanding cinematography, flawless editing, and commentary that isn't totally corny and gay sounding (i.e. Warren Miller). It's not all big drops and stupid gaps. There's some of the sweetest singletrack riding you'll ever see. Alot of the freeride hucksters I know aren't really into the film because it's too "soul" style, not hardcore enough. Matt Hunter at 50 mph on an Enduro on some East BC singletrack is definately pretty gnarly.

Definately a film worth checking out for those strict xc'ers and out of touch with the industry types who could use a refresher course in where our industry is going and what's keeping it fresh and alive.

By the way, I don't think Mark Weir should be lumped in with Tinker Juarez, two totally different style of racers. Weir is one of those rare breeds that holds records for going both up and down.
    Last edited by mattsavage; 03-04-2006 at 09:07 AM.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....