mtbr member
    Sep 2006

kickin that dead horse

Current socal resident, former NW resident (east side of WA), looking at a job in Portland area. My question is this...how many days do you get in the Portland area where it is just raining too hard to ride? I know rain is frequent in the winter/spring, but is it mostly light and off/on? I did really enjoy the Siouxan trail a couple weeks ago when I was up there...is that one pretty much rideable all yr?

mtbr member
    It's never raining too hard to ride, rain is frequent in western Oregon from September to July, mostly on most of the year, though thanks to global warm it's warmer rain than it use to be.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

ronbo613
    The rain doesn't bother me; the mud is kind of a pain in the butt.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    The rain doesn't bother me; the mud is kind of a pain in the butt.
    You need better fenders

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    down here in socal we got lotsa sandy and decomposed granite trails that hold up pretty well to rain...u guys got any trails with similar properties?

highly visible
    Days it is raining too hard to ride? Depends on the quality of your raingear and your tolerance for rain, I suppose. The answer in my case is damn few. Maybe 10 days all winter where it's absolutely pouring down rain and miserable.

Remember, for the most part NW westside rain is NOT like SoCal rain. Down there, when it rains it's a deluge and all hell breaks loose. We do have rain like that on occasion, but most of the time it's a moderate drizzle or even a light mist.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Oh, man

If you don't like rain or chilly weather PDX is tough. I rarely ride in rain because it is not a lot of fun. I usually can find a break in the rain to get a ride in during the week. The rain isn't as much of a problem as the aforementioned muddy trails. I would recommend a ski hobby or gym membership in December, January, and typically February. It just gets too gunky to ride--in my book.

meatier showers
    Some folks enjoy challenging themselves regardless of conditions. Others stay in climate controlled environments and watch football on TV. The former strengthen our species. The latter are called "spec taters."

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Metalheadbikerider

There is rarely a day...

Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84
    Current socal resident, former NW resident (east side of WA), looking at a job in Portland area. My question is this...how many days do you get in the Portland area where it is just raining too hard to ride? I know rain is frequent in the winter/spring, but is it mostly light and off/on? I did really enjoy the Siouxan trail a couple weeks ago when I was up there...is that one pretty much rideable all yr?
    that is unridable, if ever. Mud can be removed with a garden hose.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Take Chances
    When its raining too hard to go mountain biking just hop on your cyclocross bike and get a ride in at Forest Park.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by tymelero
    When its raining too hard to go mountain biking just hop on your cyclocross bike and get a ride in at Forest Park.
    I don't know...this is a ride on Leif Erikson one rainy October day.

Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    I don't know...this is a ride on Leif Erikson one rainy October day.

looks good to me

Take Chances
    that's what I'm talking about!

MattSavage
    Half of that "mud" on there is dog turds...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....