mtbr member

Just got back from Bend

Rather than another "Where to go in Bend?" thread I figured I'd chime in with a little trip report of sorts. First off, this wasn't a bike vacation but more of a chance to visit some friends who live in town, check out Bend and squeeze some riding in while spending time with my wife and son.

Bikes...(this is a mtb site after all) So unfortunately our arrival coincided with the Two Bulls fire meaning that everything North of Century Dr. (Phils, etc.) was closed. I ended up renting a Santa Cruz Bronson from Pine Mountain Sports. Beautiful shop, helpful people, great experience. First day I had a 3-4 hour window and rode from the shop to the Deschutes River Trail, played around on that for a bit then got kinda off route and ended up on some horse trails. Eventually bailed on that and found my way to Storm King and Tiddlywinks. Out and up and back to town. Realizing I had spent way too much time getting to the trails rather than riding them, I had my wife's friend drop me off at the Storm King trailhead the second day. Much better. Went Storm King then up Funner to where it meets Centruy Dr.>back down Funner>up Tiddlywinks to Larson and then down Tyler's Traverse. I hadn't heard a lot of talk about Tyler's Traverse prior to the trip but it was by far the best trail I rode. Much more like the Santa Cruz area trails I am used to riding. All in all a great time but I left knowing I barely scratched the surface of what Bend has to offer mtb wise. I'd love to get back up there to ride asap.

Beers...Bend's beer scene reputation is legendary and it did not disappoint. Hoppy, big, sour, etc. Bend has all your bases covered. We visited Boneyard (multiple times), Crux, 10 Barrel, Deschutes and got a chance to meet Paul from Ale Apothecary (who had to evacuate his home/brewery due to the fire). Highlights for me personally were Boneyard, Crux and AA. In addition to the breweries themselves I discovered what might be my favorite retail establishment in the country in Crow's Feet Commons. This bike/beer/coffee shop overlooking the Deschutes river is everything cool about Bend in one little place. We had a chance to chat with one of the the owners (Petit?) and she could not have been nicer.

Bend...I spent most of my visit wondering what could possibly be considered the "downside" to living in Bend. The only things I could come up with is "Winter" (this is coming from a person who's never lived more than 50 miles from the CA coast), geographical isolation (the reason I hadn't been before is because it's a relative commitment to get to) and lack of diversity (I have never seen so many white people in one place in my life). Saying that, I would say that the positives far outweigh those "negatives". It's a great town. Everybody we talked to and dealt with could not have been friendlier. Also, and locals will hate me for this, it's really inexpensive for the quality of life that you get. I've probably never seen a higher "standard of living"/price of real estate ratio in my life. It's that amazing.

Anyways, I've done a fair amount of traveling in the PNW and Bend is special. Go there. You won't be disappointed.

COTA member
    Great report. Sorry you were not able to ride on more of the trails. I am hopeful with the new OSU-Cascades campus Deschutes county will see a bit more diversity..

Deschutes County MapStats from FedStats

Agree, compared to CA RE prices, Bend is a deal. The downside is unless you bring your own work or telecommute it's a tough place to make a good living.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Great report. Sorry you were not able to ride on more of the trails. I am hopeful with the new OSU-Cascades campus Deschutes county will see a bit more diversity..

Deschutes County MapStats from FedStats

Agree, compared to CA RE prices, Bend is a deal. The downside is unless you bring your own work or telecommute it's a tough place to make a good living.
    It felt in some ways a lot like the Santa Cruz area (where I live) where people kind of invent their career around the way they want to live. Maybe that's a little "Sunshine and Moonbeams" but that's kinda how it felt. I always thought of Bend like a college town without a college. It will be interesting to see how the University changes the dynamic in Bend if at all.

beater

Just got back from Bend

I spent a week there for training last summer. Unfortunately I didn't have any time to ride. I came away with 2 thoughts: 1) it's like white people fantasy camp, and 2) where do the worker bees live? Oh, and 3) there is a lot of urban-wildland fire exposure there.

The beer and food were excellent, too. I can see why people speak so highly of it. I bet it's a little disorienting to people who have lived there 20 years or so, though.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    1) it's like white people fantasy camp...
    Ha! I had the same thought. It's like all the fittest white people in the Western U.S. got together and were like "Psss...Boulder's played out...meet you in Bend...don't tell anyone m'kay."

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Nice report. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Winter here is just as much fun, by the way.

mtbr member
    Carl Hungus, huh? I always like Big Lebowski references.

Good review and sounds like you had a good trip. The downside of Bend is the supply of good paying jobs. That is the only reason I'm not there...yet.

Oh, and you forgot to check out Worthy Brewing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Carl Hungus, huh?

Oh, and you forgot to check out Worthy Brewing.
    $13 growler fills of Hop Venom were too good to pass up.

mtbr member
    Winter is my favorite time here. I don't bike in the winter though. bike gathers dust for 8ish months out of the year when there is snow to ski on or snowmobile on.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Another vote for winter! For me that's the best reason to live in Bend but I keep riding as long as the trails aren't muddy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah, winter is the best reason to live in Bend! It's an emasculated season with no real bite. If you've got the constitution and the windstopping gear you can bike year-round. Please move to Bend. The more the better. It would be fantastic if your collective migration drove my home value to a disgusting peak so I could sell on the bulge and deepen my anemic pockets……..there are some bikes I would like to buy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    1) it's like white people fantasy camp
    It's been called "whiteopia" in a book I read. It's not simply that the place is all racially white, but also that it's made up of every cliche' on the "stuff white people like" websites. It's like the same "type" of white person migrated out of California/Colorado to land there. I think it's one of the weirdest places in the US I've ever been, and I've been in a lot of places. It's almost cultish. And I want to be a member too.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Do you mean cliche white persons' things such as going to a brewery for bland pub food and an IPA after participating in a costumed sporting event while the wife goes to yoga after taking the dog to the off-leash dog park? LOL.

Hey Dirt Farmer, I get to eat chicken a**holes in Seattle next week!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Do you mean cliche white persons' things such as going to a brewery for bland pub food and an IPA after participating in a costumed sporting event while the wife goes to yoga after taking the dog to the off-leash dog park? LOL.

Hey Dirt Farmer, I get to eat chicken a**holes in Seattle next week!
    Yeah, I probably do troll on this topic a bit too much. Bend is a great place though.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Unpredictable
    Haven't been to bend since 1985. It has fond memories; had my third spinal cord concussion on Bachelor and broke my skis. Got better skis and went on with life.

I'd love to go back for a spin on the mountain or bike tracks, or snowmobile tracks for that mater. It was a nice place then. Sort of a haven between Klamath Falls and Seattle. It looks a lot bigger now. Still attractive though I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    It's been called "whiteopia" in a book I read. It's not simply that the place is all racially white, but also that it's made up of every cliche' on the "stuff white people like" websites. It's like the same "type" of white person migrated out of California/Colorado to land there. I think it's one of the weirdest places in the US I've ever been, and I've been in a lot of places. It's almost cultish. And I want to be a member too.
    That's too funny. The first thing I did yesterday when I saw this post was to search the stuffwhitepeoplelike website for references to Bend to link here. I was certain I would find something or even see an article on Bend itself. Maybe we just need to wait a little bit longer.

If you ever want to be curiously frightened, hang out front of the Whole Foods or Trader Joes and just watch who/what comes in/out of there. It's like the circus is in town.

As far as Bend and diversity is concerned ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is there something wrong with white people?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat View Post
    Is there something wrong with white people?
    They ride bikes too damn much!

newfydog
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    It's like the same "type" of white person migrated out of California/Colorado to land there. .
    Too funny. I moved here with my blonde /blue eyed wife from Colorado 20 years ago. Our friends in Colorado asked for years, "but when will you be able to move back?" They couldn't understand we came and stayed by choice.

In the last year we know of five couples who worked in Saudi Arabia and retired to Bend. I preferred it when we were a bit more of a secret.

B42
    mtbr member

Just got back from Bend

Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Haven't been to bend since 1985.
    Saying Bend has changed a lot since 1985 would be an understatement. It does still seem to have the same feel and fun sporty vibe, just on a larger scale, with nicer cars, more brew pubs, and higher prices...
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    They ride bikes too damn much!
    That must be it. LOL

PRETENDURO
    Took my black African (not to be confused with “African American”) wife and our two beige sons (along with my very whiteboy ass) to Bend last week (spent a week riding all the kickass trails). Not one Carl Hungus sighting. We ought have discussed hooking up with him before having set out of California. My wife and kids thoroughly enjoyed it and are planning on making it a yearly thing… until we can figure out a way to move to Bend! Yes, it’s that freakin’ awesome. The people are really nice (they all use their turnsignals– Idahoans, Washingtonians, Californicators, and Nevadanians really stand out as jerks on the roadways) and seem to be happy as well. Cannot say enough about the beer – so much to drink, so little time!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    they all use their turnsignals
    I wish that was true!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It's a too many roundabouts, on the cell phone, fully task loaded sort of thing…..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Took my black African (not to be confused with “African American”) wife and our two beige sons (along with my very whiteboy ass) to Bend last week (spent a week riding all the kickass trails). Not one Carl Hungus sighting. We ought have discussed hooking up with him before having set out of California. My wife and kids thoroughly enjoyed it and are planning on making it a yearly thing… until we can figure out a way to move to Bend! Yes, it’s that freakin’ awesome. The people are really nice (they all use their turnsignals– Idahoans, Washingtonians, Californicators, and Nevadanians really stand out as jerks on the roadways) and seem to be happy as well. Cannot say enough about the beer – so much to drink, so little time!!!
    Nice man! Yeah, we felt the same way. Can't wait to get back up there.