mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Just acquired a Kestrel CSX

I'm new to the forums and I just acquired a Kestrel CSX mountain bike. Anyone share information about this bike?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just acquired a Kestrel CSX-.jpg  

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Wow, that's a blast from the past. Kestrel was one of the early carbon fiber manufacturers. I think I see Kooka cranks, Avid Tri-Align brakes, Ringle stem, Manitou 3 fork, SDG saddle, and Araya rims?

You might want to post on the Vintage forum: Vintage, Retro, Classic

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That stems a picture of vertical compliance and (hopefully) lateral stiffness. Otherwise, what a cool find.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup View Post
    That stems a picture of vertical compliance and (hopefully) lateral stiffness. Otherwise, what a cool find.
    There was a manufacturer that had a similarly designed stem but it got pulled off the shelves because that compliance led to failure. I can't recall their name though (I think it started with a "C" and had a two-part name). OP, is there any brand marking on that stem?

Afric Pepperbird
    Try posting in the Vintage, Retro, and Classic forum. You may get more information.

edit: Oops, I see Nat beat me to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just acquired a Kestrel CSX-brakes.jpgJust acquired a Kestrel CSX-kooka-crank.jpgJust acquired a Kestrel CSX-kooka-stem.jpgJust acquired a Kestrel CSX-manitou-forks.jpgJust acquired a Kestrel CSX-sdg-saddle.jpg

Impressive observations Nat!

Kooka cranks, Kooka stem, Manitou 3 fork, SDG saddle, Richey rims.

I'll take it over to my local bike shop this week and see what it needs for reconditioning and hoping it's worth the money.

Afric Pepperbird
    Also, try posting in bikeforums.net, both here and here

Their classic and vintage forum (and appraisal forum) seems to get much more traffic than the one here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    There was a manufacturer that had a similarly designed stem but it got pulled off the shelves because that compliance led to failure. I can't recall their name though (I think it started with a "C" and had a two-part name). OP, is there any brand marking on that stem?
    Nat, Are you thinking of Cook Brothers? They made cranks and stems. You are dating yourself (in mountain bike timeline) in calling out the Kooka Cranks, I too remember them well.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Nat, Are you thinking of Cook Brothers? They made cranks and stems. You are dating yourself (in mountain bike timeline) in calling out the Kooka Cranks, I too remember them well.
    Ha, yeah I've been around awhile. Good memory with the Cook Bros. People coveted their cranks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Ha, yeah I've been around awhile. Good memory with the Cook Bros. People coveted their cranks.
    I can't remember what my wife told me I needed to do today just 15 minutes ago, but mountain bike parts from 15 years ago (or longer) I can remember with great detail. Go figure....

mtbr member
    That was a pretty drool worthy machine back in the day. The wheels are older than the rest of the bike.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yes be careful with that stem & cranks. My kooka cranks failed in a big way as did my buddies. Never owned that stem, but would be afraid to run it. Not sure if over time the anodizing could cause it to become even more brittle?

Oh! And I remember running those brake stiffeners from back in the day too! Ha! Those things didn't work whatsoever! Seeing that bike reminds of just how far mountain bike technology has come....wow!

A wheelist
    That frame geometry was never designed for a suspension fork. It was designed before suspension forks hit the market and it was designed to fit a normal length rigid fork. Putting a suspension fork under it jacked up the head tube and lengthened the Trail. The Trail on mine measured double what normal trail should measure. I even spoke with a guy who worked with the person who did the specs for Kestrel (none other than Keith Bontrager) and he confirmed this. Kestrel, in the later years of the CSX, showed it in ads with a suspension fork. I brought all this to the attention of Kestrel and they quietly refunded my purchase price. Not long after it was removed from the market. That would be in the late '90s - about '97 I think.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I would have been drooling over that bike big time back in the day. I have converted my old babe (Cannondale, Manitou3, XTR components, White Industries hubs, Paul brakes, Control Tech, Bontrager TI bar, etc.) to use on the road, and still love it. May be a great way to honor that beauty. I used to compete with my brother with his Klein for upgrading/tricking out.

xc'er
    Dec 2010

Just acquired a Kestrel CSX

Critical Racing is the stem company

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I actually own this bike now and would like to know if anyone can tell me what year it was made? It has M734 XT brakes on it and M735 XT derailleurs. I'm guessing that it's a 92-94 but since there's such a mix of parts, it's really hard to tell.

I had to cut the late model riser bars in half to remove them from the stem. Someone had obviously went to a great deal of effort to wedge them thru the stem. I've replaced the stem, bars, seat, cranks, and wheels with more rideable parts. The bike looks like it was never ridden off road and only has a few paint chips- no cracks or scratches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just acquired a Kestrel CSX-dsc00881.jpg