Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jacksonville illegal trail building

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  iRider 
#1 ·
We just received notice from the city of Jville that they have found jumps being constructed on a future multi use trail within the park. Trail or feature construction is not approved at this time. Please inform anybody you know involved to please stop any trail or feature construction within Forest Park. We are very close to having a freeride area established in forest Park. This recent incident has reflected poorly on SOFA and MTB in general. The city is very unhappy with this. Again, WE ARE VERY CLOSE TO HAVING A FREERIDE AREA ESTABLISHED. DO NOT RUIN THE OPPORTUNITY THAT SOFA HAS BEEN WORKING ON FOR 2 YEARS. Any future trail construction will be under the guidance of SOFA and the City of Jville. Please understand that this has really rubbed the city the wrong way and may threaten our golden opportunity.

#3 ·
Sports hell, every segment of society has its share of pinheads. The trick is to convince the Jville city folks that a few idiots are not representative of the highly astute, socially well adjusted cadre of society who compose the vast majority of the mountain biker community.

Good luck indeed.

#4 ·
There has been building going on on various parts of john's peak since the revenge races. Illegal building on my part keeps alot of the trails on the Kane's creek side safe and rideable. I know about the building the OP is refering to, and ya that was a stupid place to build. Not me, but I know who was doing it.

Us illegal building damn downhilling mountain bikers have done trail maintnence and whatnot up there for years. Not only for us, but to make things safer for the dirt bikers too. Ive been stopped countless times by dirt bikers and thanked for filling in ruts and cutting downed trees out of the way, re-routing trail around creeks, habitat trees and unsafe areas. All done illegally by me and company so we can have somewhere to ride.

#5 ·
The problem is not illegal trail building per say, We all know its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission. The problem in this case is that people were building jumps on a future multi use trail and where caught. When caught their excuse was that SOFA said it was Ok to build. Which immediately puts our group in a bad light.
Most trails are constructed with out authorization in one way or another, Most trails were here before the automobile. Thats how people got around.
Bottom line is that we have a good thing here with the city and an awesome opportunity. We just dont want it ruined when we are so close.
SOFA works on "unauthorized" trail all the time. Probably shoudnt admit that but its true.If nobody maintains them then they turn in to bigger problems.Thanks for do what you do on your trail front.

#6 ·
Ok well that wasnt the situation I was talking about then. That or the story that was told is growing out of proportion. I do that that the person Im talking about was approached by a ranger and told the jumps were going to have to be leveled. Sofa was never involved in his conversation with the ranger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.