Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nat
    Solo contendre

Isn't it about time for roll call?

Who are you?
    Where are you?
    What do you ride?
    What do you do when you don't ride?

I'm Nat and I live in Bend. I have a citrus Blur and you can usually find me somewhere on the Phil's network during the week. I can also be found around town on a Douglas road bike or at one of the many playgrounds with my wife and two daughters. Look for me on a snowboard beneath the Rainbow chair up at Mt. Bachelor in winter. I like thai, vietnamese, japanese, and mexican food, not necessarily in that order. When I must, I doctor people's feet to make a couple of bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nat; 09-02-2004 at 11:00 PM.

mtbr member

I'm a Bendite too...

I'm Jefe', that's my big boy name for Jeffrey. I too live in Bend via San Diego, NYC...
    I ride an old black SC Heckler, Specialized Allez road bike and my favorite, a white Surly 1x1. I'm saving up for a 29" Vulture SS .
    When I'm not riding Phil's I hang out at Webcyclery and Bend Cycles . I'm still looking for a cool wife at 37 (know anybody?) I am a retired FDNY Medic (Manhattan/Harlem)
    I currently am a licensed Acupuncturist/Herbalist, my clinic is next to the West Side Cafe. I hope to meet more of you guys, I'm just getting fast again after a break from riding...
    Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

Making fat cool since '71
    I'm a down to earth sagi...but seriously:
    I live in Cottage Grove, work in Eugina. I rode 3-4 times a week while living in western CO and that # dropped to about once per month when I moved here several years ago. I'm getting back into the life/scene (thank god!) although I'm currently out of commission due to a second shoulder surgery this year, but it will happen; it just takes time.

I ride an '03 Heckler (with the fatAss spec as I call it; for clydesdales). I just like to ride technical stuff. I like to push my skills and learn/progress which is probably good since I'm not the greatest rider out there! I prefer to go downhill than grind up a huge grade, but I definately understand one must pay his dues. I dig having fun, giving crap, getting crap, getting scabs, and hanging with good people and if they ride bikes that makes it even better.

K.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Who are you?
    Where are you?
    What do you ride?

My name's Davey; I live in Eugene. Started riding mountain bikes in '85 and founded the Disciples of Dirt MBC in '87. I have about a dozen bikes but my current favorites are my Vulture singlespeed and my '04 Fisher Cake with Nixon fork (I just got that baby last week!)

I like all kinds of riding, from casual rides to epic hammer sessions, but my favorite thing to do is find the groove, the rhythm, the zone -- wherever that may be -- when flying feels effortless and I almost feel able to see a few split-seconds into the future. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

I like to climb just as much as I like to descend and feel that shuttlers are thieves. (Not really, but... ) I like the Bend area in the fall or after a rain. My fav zone is Oakridge/Waldo/Timpanogas, but it's all good.

When I'm not on the bike I'm an Account Exec at The Register-Guard, Eugene's local daily.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Lambone aka/Matt here,

I live in Ashland and work in Medford.

I ride a Turner 5-Spot and a Kona Unit SS.....depending on the trail and my mood. I ride with my dog Mia, a little golden Boarder Collie.

My favorite trails are the Ashland watershed stuff afterwork. Applegate Lake and Brown Mountain loop on weekends. Suprisingly I hardly ever see any other bikers at Applegate or on brown Mountain.

Wagner is fun, but it's a local secret and I'm not "local" enough to devulge it's wherabouts.

My current biking goals are to:
    -encourage my wife to mtb more with me...it's a slow process but she's coming around.
    -find some more new trails in the area - long XC stuff...
    -meet some more local mtb riders
    -lose 10 lbs
    -Ride the Mac River trail
    -Get back up to Bend soon

I've met a couple of Ashland riders who post here, looking to meet up with more. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Albee here. Live in Creswell. From Eugene it's about 10 miles away physically, about 150 years chronologically. Been riding since 1989(?). I'm a recovering Californian, been up here 11-plus years. I did love the riding down there, but it doesn't compare to what we have in Western Oregon. I usually get away for about 3 or so days around my b-day (Sept. 10), and this year I'm looking to get back to the Applegate Lake area. Some awesome riding down there. Like the above post alluded to, I've ridden probably 75 miles total in that area and have not seen another person on the trail -- I did see a bear on Stein Butte trail and a snake on Collings Mountain Trail, though. Off the bike, I run my wife's office -- she's the best damn chiropractor in Lane County, a shameless plug but true! She's also the best mountain bike wife a guy could have. She doesn't ride, but doesn't mind when I do. And I do. I have a long, long leash -- I get to ride more than a guy with a young child should! Our daughter comes into the office after school, so it's truly a family business. I NEED a full squishy, but we're going to be building a house, so it'll be awhile before I replace my Voodoo Bizango, vintage 1997, but with a newer XC pro fork up front and Thudbuster underneath.
    Geez, I've gone on a long time here. What was the question again?!?

highly visible
    I'm Dan, and I live in Portland and work in Beaverton. Richie is my 2 year old black lab, who accompanies me on a lot of my rides.

Been limited in riding the last 2 summers due to neck injuries from multiple car accidents, but am recovering and hope to start hitting the dirt later this month.

In the winter I ride in Forest Park 2-4 times per month (mostly night rides), with occasional trips to Central Oregon to hit places like Gray Butte, Horse Ridge or (lower) Deschutes River when most other trails are closed or under snow. I seem to have a particular affinity for long desert doubletrack rides, so at least a couple times a year I try to get out to Southeast Oregon to explore - Sparty and I did a wicked 4-day BOB-camping trip out there in the Owyhee Canyonlands last year. I hope to make it out there again later this month. When I can't drive that far I'm hitting stuff within a couple hours of Portland like Siouxon, Tillamook, Mt. Hood, etc. Also a regular (2-3x/week) bike commuter, rail-assisted on the morning leg.

Mtn bike is a Surly Karate Monkey 29"er, singlespeed, fully rigid at least for now. 'Crosser/commuter is a Bianchi Volpe, been running SS the last couple years but recently went back to gears due to the 800' climb on my current evening commute.

mtbr member
    Who are you?
    Where are you?
    What do you ride?
    My name is Brandon (Like you couldn't guess )
    I live in Albany but ride all over the area (basically an area bounded by Longview - Roseburg -Bend ). Quick access to I-5 and Hwy 20 makes it easy to head out.
    I ride several bikes depending on my mood, For the trails I have an '02 M4 stumpy FSR, an '00/01 RM Pipeline, and a vulturized (EBB) GT Singlespeed. For the Road I have an old Nishiki Competition setup as a Fixie and a Fuji somethingorother as a geared road bike. I've got an old schwinn road bike setup as a commuter as well (also fixed).

When I'm not riding I'm hanging with my dog Fritz (Alaskan Malamute) or doing laundry so I can get back out and ride some more. Somewhere in there I work too but I try not to let that get in the way.

Tree Hugger
    Who are you?
    Where are you?
    What do you ride?
    What do you do when you don't ride?.

My name is matt, I'm 32 years old, I like fast cards and fast women...
    Beyond that, I've lived in Eugene for 3 years, and spent time in Oakland CA, New Brunswick NJ, and Atlanta GA before moving to Oregon.
    I ride a Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ and have an old GF Big Sur hardtail that I have installed disks and use as a mud bike/commuter. I love to ride a wide variety of trails,in fact it's the variety that exists around here that I love so much. I ride in and around Oakridge alot, but when I'm feeling lazy, there's a few trails closer to home. I ride with the Disciples of Dirt alot, and by myself not so often.
    When I'm not riding, I work as an arborist for the city. After work I spend way too much time staring at a tv/computer at home. I have a dog named Gypsy, but she is part chow, and can't handle vigorous excercise so no Mountain biking for her. I do take her hiking alot, and we used to backpack regularly before biking took over my free time.

Sasquatch
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-26-2007 at 10:53 PM.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm Josh, another Bend-ite. You'll often see my wife and I on the local trails on ti-softails a day or two during the week, or perhaps out on the road for a quick "parks loop" after work on a yellow C-dale (me) or a Voodoo CX bike (Cate). If we aren't biking, we could be hiking or climbing out at Smith Rock in the summer and usually have telemark or skate skis on our feet during the winter. We seem to frequent the Deschutes Brewery enough that we no longer need a menu. (except for seasonal brews, of course!) I build bridges to pay the bills.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbender
    I'm Josh, another Bend-ite. You'll often see my wife and I on the local trails on ti-softails a day or two during the week, or perhaps out on the road for a quick "parks loop" after work on a yellow C-dale (me) or a Voodoo CX bike (Cate). If we aren't biking, we could be hiking or climbing out at Smith Rock in the summer and usually have telemark or skate skis on our feet during the winter. We seem to frequent the Deschutes Brewery enough that we no longer need a menu. (except for seasonal brews, of course!) I build bridges to pay the bills.
    What's the "parks loop?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    What's the "parks loop?"
    My wife and I as well as a co-worker refer to the loop that we start from the north part of town by the mall and goes out OB Riley (past Sawyer park) and down to Tumalo State park, then up Johnson on past Shevlin park to the first round-about where we typically head up and over Mt. Washington Drive or continue down Newport and past Pioneer Park. I suppose others may call it the Shevlin-Tumalo loop or something similar, but after going past all the parks, we dubbed this ride simply the "Parks loop." It seems that there may be another park or two we pass along the way as well. Nevertheless, it makes for a nice 17-20 mile ride after work.

Is you wife groovin on the new ride? I told my wife to keep an eye out for that pretty new bike on the trails!

cheers,
    josh

mtbr member
    Hi Im Nate and I dont ride a kona anymore, just cant figure out how to change my name . I ride all over the southern part of the state I dig catwalk, mt collins loop, and any thing that goes up. I am old school started riding mt bikes back in the 80's and still like the old long top tube bikes. I ride a souped up cannondale f400 and am building a old bianchi single speed. I love riding up to the lodge from lithia park in ashland, 4000' of climbing and most of that done in the middle of the ride. I also like the klamath stuff and dig brown mountian(great single speed trail).
    I am a ride leader for BOMB (Believers On Mountian Bikes)www.ridedirt.com, we ride alot of different trails and have a great time to boot. all of you are welcome!
    Last edited by kONANATE; 09-14-2004 at 05:39 PM.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbender
    My wife and I as well as a co-worker refer to the loop that we start from the north part of town by the mall and goes out OB Riley (past Sawyer park) and down to Tumalo State park, then up Johnson on past Shevlin park to the first round-about where we typically head up and over Mt. Washington Drive or continue down Newport and past Pioneer Park. I suppose others may call it the Shevlin-Tumalo loop or something similar, but after going past all the parks, we dubbed this ride simply the "Parks loop." It seems that there may be another park or two we pass along the way as well. Nevertheless, it makes for a nice 17-20 mile ride after work.

Is you wife groovin on the new ride? I told my wife to keep an eye out for that pretty new bike on the trails!

cheers,
    josh
    Oh yes, I love that loop. We call it "the Tumalo Loop" but I bet there are a dozen other names for it. I can't decide in which direction I like it better, clockwise or counterclockwise. Say, do you know who owns the property with the swanky gated entrance with the water feature on the right side of OB Riley as you head north? I'm dying to peek at the house; it must be a mansion.

My wife loves her new Blur, but hasn't gotten to ride it more than a few times now. She's nursing a newborn and I'm still working, so it's hard for her to find time when she can go out. She and another lady who recently gave birth have teamed up for a post-pregnancy recovery group ride.

Cheezy Rider
    Russ from Corvallis here. I started mountain biking in Maui sugarcane fields 12 years ago. Riding's about the only thing that's better here. Well, not the only thing, but maybe the only thing that's a lot better. I have a Trek Y3, but this summer I put more miles on my ancient Rockhopper. Now I'm jonesin' for a nice steel hardtail.

Mostly ride Mac Forest, but enjoy other areas when I get the chance. I'm lucky enough to get in a quick spin up to Mulkey Ridge and back during a long lunch a couple times a week.

Logs are my nemesis, but some day I shall prevail!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Anybody else?

I'm just posting here to move this thread back to the top so maybe more of y'all will post up. Let's see how well this strategy works...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My name is Phil
    I'm 22
    I live in Eugene
    I ride an 04 Stumpjumper Elite.

Been riding since March or so. Mostly I ride with the DOD. Oakridge area, MRT and other fine places. Get over to Bend once in a while, Phil's trails is about all I have ridden on that side of the mountain. Beyond that I work for a media company by day, I freelance as a sound engineer and am currently trying to get a band on its feet. I like long walks on the beach and fire side chats, but mostly I dream of being an actress, my measurements are.....er, uh, well, guess thats a different forum.

See you on the trail.
    "...the principal of least action requires that utility and beauty be combined."

Olde Phartette

please go easy on me....

......for I am a roadie and as someone long ago on MTBR cloned me a wannabe mountain biker. I had the mountain bike a Trek 7000 but gave it to my daughter and it now resides in Arizona eating desert dirt.

Now for the questions:

Who are you?
    Kate

Where are you?
    Beaverton, soon to be living in Hillsboro

What do you ride?
    A Serotta Atlanta

Think about the next ride

See ya on the road.

Kate
    "Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use."
    Charles Schultz

"Love them hills!" ---MikeT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=Nat] Say, do you know who owns the property with the swanky gated entrance with the water feature on the right side of OB Riley as you head north? I'm dying to peek at the house; it must be a mansion.

Hey Nat, as a matter of fact I DO believe I know (well, not personally) who owns that fancy pad off OB Riley - the Brownrigg's. They own one of the garbage companies in town and I guess from the looks of the entrance the citizens of Bend must be producing a lot of trash! I actually went up there a few years ago to do some concrete testing and it is quite a place, from what I remember. The guest house is on par with most of us mortal's normal housing! The landscaping around the property was certainly on par with the entrance, and it seems they had quite an expanse for horses and such.

On the topic of big mansions, there is one on the north side of Pilot Butte and Neff, somewhere near Hollinshead Park area that is tucked up on the side of the hill. My wife and I were out for a walk one day and looked up towards it and were completely dumbfounded at this place! I'm sure there are many more tucked away here and there around Bend.

Congrats, by the way, on the new bouncing baby! Glad to hear your wife is already getting back on two wheels and has a partner in crime to take a break with.

Tough call on the favorite direction of the Parks/Tumalo loop. We usually end up riding it counter-clockwise, which makes it perfect to catch the sun setting as we climb up and over Mt. Washington Drive from Shevlin, but the short steep climbs the other direction are a gas. Anway, I'll just keep waving to all the cyclist I see going down the road, so perhaps one day I'll be waving 'hi' to you!

cheers,
    josh

bendin'
    Oct 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Just onto the forum...always the late bloomer. I'm a staff photographer at The Bulletin and know what a Bill The Cat Death Trail Ride 'till you drop was like in Eugene in the '80's. Loved my Ross Mt. Raineer...then Fisher AL-1 and series of Stumpjumper Comp's.

I've been in Bend for nearly six years and am usually in the Phil's or Shevlin/Mrazek network around an odd work schedule...midweek morning or weekend evening. Always trying to make more time for riding and always riding wishing I did it more.

I have really enjoyed over the past several years introducing mountain biking to the variety of friends that move to town from all over the country leading rookie group rides.

Kevin and Todd helped me build up a dream bike just before I got married--you'll see me on a blue Ellsworth Truth with Duke, XTR and disc brakes. It is heaven and not misused, it gets to plenty of rowdier trails than Phil's ;-).

Thank you COTA for all that you do. I feel damned lucky.

-rob.

meatier showers

Rob who?

Quote Originally Posted by photogRob
    Just onto the forum...always the late bloomer. I'm a staff photographer at The Bulletin and know what a Bill The Cat Death Trail Ride 'till you drop was like in Eugene in the '80's. ....

-rob.
    Rob,

Wait a minute! You did one (or more) of the infamous Bill the Cat Death Rides back in the 80s??? Then we MUST know one another... Do you remember Dave Hallock (founded the Disciples of Dirt MBC in Eugene in '87)? That's me.

I still ride with Bill/Don AKA shiggy on MTBR as well as Tim Kaiser & Justin Mitchell. Let's see... most others of that era moved elsewhere... Paul "Guido" Andrews lives in Portland, Miles Todd moved to SoCal many moons ago; I lost track of Steve Davis, Peter "Carcass" Prebus moved to Flagstaff, Dave Reuter is still around but I never see him on a bike anymore... others... others... help me out here...

Anyway, what's your story? Sorry man, I'm having a hard time placing you...

--Davey/Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Greetings feller Oregonians... I'm Damien. I live in Eugene. I'm also a photog. at a small studio called PhotOregon in Eugene, specializing in mainly commercial/advertising work. I'm 28 years old, single, but I have a cat. My house is filled with bike chatter, and my garage is filled with bikes. The cars park in the driveway.
    I ride and associate myself with many D.O.D. folks, and I also ride for Pauls Bicycle of Life Cycling team.
    As for trailbikes, I can be seen on my pearl white Voodoo Nzumbi SS, or my new baby, the HammerHead 100x.
    I cannot say I have a favorite trail... there are too many trails I love to ride. However, some of my favs are Maiden Pk, Fuji, Middle Fork river trail, sections of the Umpqua, and like I said I could go on and on. Hope to see you out on the trails!!

Expert Pushing SSer

Sorry I am late....(Bumpt)

Who are you?
    Mike (34)

Where are you?
    At work (right this minute ). Live in Salem.

What do you ride?
    Try and ride my new (to me) Vulture-ized Dean SS as much as possible, and have a geared Dean hard tail. Looking to maybe make a SS CX with a flip flop hub (so if you know of anyone with lots of extra parts etc....PM me).

XC ski with wife and kiddo, think about the next ride, obsess about bikes, research on the web all about bikes etc. (see a pattern?), sleep, enjoy cold beer, scotch or bourbon on the rocks, hot tub, visit the gym, camp, hike, work around the house, and manage a rental unit (no, I am not a slum lord). Oh, like Hi-Fi too. Work in Tigard with a geotechnical engineering company. I am a geologist, also involved in the graphics dept., and I do some computer network maint., one might say I wear many hats.

Transplant from So. Cal. Moved here in 1999, my wife is from Salem. I have been riding bikes (other than the BMX bikes from childhood) since 1984. Moutain bikes exclusively since 1988. I live for flowing singletrack, where if you close your eyes, you can almost imagine what is next...rollercoaster style. I like to go up, and come down. I am not a racer, I am a rider out to have a good time. Love riding at Dallas, Forest Park (for a quick workout), Silver Creek Falls (new to me), Shellburg Falls (new to me), Brown's Camp, MacDonald Forest, and Bend area (when doing the Barbie Camp thing). Have met many cool people along the way. Some folks from the Merry Cranksters, DOD, folks in the Portland area, Longview and Seattle area peeps too! See you all on the trails.

Mike
    Me on the Sky Bike @ Barbie Camp (Fall '03)
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    My name is Bryan.
    I have been mountain biking since i was a kid,
    it has been almost a week since my last ride....
    i need it, i got to have it, and i'm gettin hooked up tonight...
    oh wait this is not that kind of forum. (just hammin it up)

I live in Portland and ride a KHS solo one and Univega steel frame which has been rebuilt plenty of times over the past 10 years but keeps on askin for more. This winter the univega is in the closet and dont know when it will be out again since i just got the KHS and i am lovin it.

I ride all over the portland area but lately just ride Mt. Tabor becuase it is so close.

What i do when i don't ride? well i am usually drinkin beer with my friends. however every so often i do enjoy some good bowling. The dude abides.

a tight kick sound

bike addict with a school problem

Hey all you Oregon folks!

I am Jason From Eugene

At this moment I am at my desk at the University waiting to play a volleyball game. Was looking through the forum and come upon this great Oregon roll call. Props to Nat!!

Anyway, I usually ride 2-4 times a week. A group of crazy mountain bike folks got together at the University and started the mountain bike club. It is fairly new, so I am not sure how many folks know about it. Right now we have about 12-15 people on "the list." I try to organize a weekly rid, however not always successfully. We do pretty good though.

Bikes I ride: for the XC-mod trail, I rid a large SC blur and for the downs and jumps I ride a medium yeti asx. When I am feeling like speed, I ride a cannondale f600 track bike set up for the road rides. Also use this bike for triathlons. On the way to school I use a beat-up Eddie bauer piece of sheeeiit. Cant beleive she is still running!

When I am not riding I am totally crazy about looking for another bike, even though I probably wont get one! I play just about any sport except basketball. Really like to ski, both downhill and XC. Recently I have begun tackling adventure races (fun stuff!!). Sailing and kayaking are also big on my list too. Really think I have an addiction problem with outdoor activities. O'well.

As far as riding around here, I have not been in Eugene all that long so I don't have a favorite spot yet. Think it would be a great idea to get the DOD together for a group ride with the University folks (We don't have a name yet). Anyone down for that? I got a buddy who always has good home brew for after the rides!!!
    Everyone else is welcome over on this side of the valley anytime as well. (I got an extra room!)

Enough babbling from me,

Later
    JB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast