Metalheadbikerider

Important: Riverview (PDX) update

Have you been wanting to ride the Riverview Natural Area that has been creating a buzz in the local mountain bike community? Here's your chance! Northwest Trail Alliance is leading a guided ride there this Saturday, November 9th. We will be meeting at 9:45am at Sellwood Cycles and will ride for an hour or so. It will be wet and muddy, so please plan and dress accordingly. Although we are advocating for beginner trails in the future, the trails are not currently "beginner-friendly" due to their steepness, roots, and mud. This is an intermediate/advanced ride as a result. We hope to see you there!

More importantly, there is a Community Meeting for Riverview next week and we need your help. The Public Advisory Committee and Portland Parks & Recreation want to hear your opinions on trails, and we need as many mountain bikers there as possible! We are in a unique position to give input while the concept plan is being developed. The meeting is scheduled for November 12, 2013: Community Meeting/Open House, 5:30-7:30 PM, PDX Church, 125 SW Miles.
    See you all there!

If you have any questions, feel free to email Brian at brianb@nw-trail.org
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Metalheadbikerider
    Full project details can be found at River View Natural Area | The City of Portland, Oregon

Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Mcloud- trail digger
    MEETING REMINDER: Tuesday night 11.12.13.
    This meeting is our ONE big chance to help influence the trail design for the Riverview Area. So we need mtn bikers to show up in LARGE numbers to have our voices heard.

Community Meeting / Open House Event is 11.12.13 at 5:30-7:30 PM.
    Meeting location: PDX Church, 125 SW Miles St, Portland, OR 97219

We need all types of mountain bikers represented at this meeting to let them know what you would like to see for a recreation trail plan. Do you want XC trails? Do you want advanced trails? Do you want a beginner loop? Do you want a variety of trails and difficulty levels so that riders can advance their skills? It is our time to be proactively engaged in developing a plan for this centrally located natural area, where many of us can Ride to Where We Ride!

Even if you are not active with NWTA, make this your priority to attend the Community Meeting. Having a LARGE number of mountain bikers attend demonstrates our desire to have a mountain biking opportunities in Portland. Come support the effort!

mtbr member
    I've got a prior commitment but I did want to express my thoughts...
    1. Do you want XC trails? NO
    2. Do you want advanced trails? YES
    3. Do you want a beginner loop? NO
    4. Do you want a variety of trails and difficulty levels so that riders can advance their skills? DEPENDS... There should be a progression system for DH/FR type riding.

The area is simply too steep to do any beginner or XC trails without seriously bisecting the existing DH style trails. You are going to create conflict. Furthermore, guys like me that have ridden there for years, have been appalled at the "dumbing down" of the best trails, cutting out jumps and fencing off the steepest/funnest sections (no more drops). I freaked when they cut out that large tree that was snagged over the trail. Ducking under it at mach speed was half the fun of that trail and now it's gone forever. Same thing is going to happen to all the jumps too I assume (using the legal reasons making it "safe" for us, LOL). The XC crowd has Forest Park, Powell Butte and soon to be Gateway Green (much less steep from what I see from the road) so they have PLENTY. Portland needs to leave Riverview ALONE other than some simple trail maintenance and let us BUILD drops and jumps!

Also I'm not at all happy that the NWTA had a group ride there yesterday. That area does NOT drain well at all and riding yesterday was EXTREMELY irresponsible! If you want to add fuel to the fire for the Portland Parks to deny mtb's, well you just gave them some great ammo!

My 2 cents,

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 11-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Metalheadbikerider
    Thanks for the feedback Gman, but if you can't make the meeting (even a 5 minute drop-in to give feedback will suffice) it would be best to send your input directly to Parks. Contact info can be found here: River View Natural Area | The City of Portland, Oregon

Those questions were meant to just get people thinking When you give your input you should let them know exactly what you would like to see in a comprehensive, recreational trail plan. It wouldn't hurt to add in some input about hiker/biker trail interactions. For example, should the trails be mtb only, shared, or a combination of both?

Regarding the ride, I spoke with the PP & R Project Manager prior to the ride to discuss and it was ok'ed by her. The trails were actually in good shape and the ride was great.

Here is a document if you would like to learn more about the area: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks/article/469393
    It's pretty lengthy but you can skim to the relevant sections to get a better idea of the "big picture" for Riverview.

It would be great to your help with Riverview.
    The last NWTA meeting for 2013 will be the last Tuesday at the Lumberyard.
    Last edited by free-agent; 11-10-2013 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If the parcel has any hope to remain a MTB network of any kind, it's going to have to serve more than just DH'ers. The days of it being a secret/illegal DH mud trough are over.

mtbr member
    Thanks Free Agent, I will send my input to the Parks Dept. Has anyone gotten any feedback from them at all on their stance on mtb use? The fact that NWTA wants us there makes me nervous. I'm fine with hikers but there are some safety concerns with the speeds we reach over there. A potential hiking/XC trail could be done around the outer perimeter where you could get away with more switchbacks and also make it an easier hike. If that's what it takes to keep our DH trails in tact then I'm all for it.

I'll make the last meeting if I'm in town. So would that be the 26th of this month?

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Metalheadbikerider
    The land was bought for the primary purpose of improving water quality. There are seven streams and four are perennial, and they all bring cold water into the Willamette which is important for salmon. It is also part of a wildlife corridor.
    There is a rough draft concept plan being developed right now, and the Public Advisory Committee (of which I am a member of as the NWTA rep) and Portland Parks wants to hear from citizens about what they would like to see in terms of recreation. This is why we need to mountain bikers to show up and say what they want to see built there. If we don't show up in big numbers, we don't matter in the political arena. They are seeing the entire area as a "blank slate."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Gman I rode out there last fall when I first heard of the area. I'm pretty sure I hit all the trails out here...most of them twice...I don' t recall anything DH-oriented. Yeah, the trails went pretty much straight down, but they weren't technial and they were so short...seemed like from top to bottom was maybe a couple of minutes....I dunno...I should head out there again and refresh my memory...

mtbr member
    I've never ridden at Riverview, but I'd be willing to bet if the trails go straight down the fall line, they'll be gone whether they adopt a mtb plan or not.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Hope it works out; Portland doesn't have much (to say the least)

Have FUN!

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 11-12-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Metalheadbikerider
    Meeting is tonight. Even a quick, 5 minute drop by to give your input will suffice. Please remind others, as well. It would be incredibly helpful to have a HUGE showing at this event.

Metalheadbikerider
    Thanks everyone. I think we outnumbered the non-mtb'ers 3 to 1. There will be an online comment option. I will post details when it is available. Cheers!