mtbr member
    Dec 2006

IMBA Trail Care Crew Coming to Portland!

IMBA Trail Care Crew Coming to Portland!

Are you ready to move beyond simply riding your local trails and learn to build them? The free Subaru/ IMBA Trailbuilding School will be held in Portland Sept. 30 through Oct. 2, 2010. Chris and Leslie Kehmeier, Subaru/ IMBA Trail Care Crew experts, will be teaching the art and science of trailbuilding with the internationally recognized Trailbuilding School.

Preregistration is required. To register visit www.imba.com and go to Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew section, link is on the bottom left "Register Now" (Additional contact = Will Heiberg (will@nw-trail.org)).

Subaru/ IMBA Trailbuilding School Schedule

Thursday, Sept. 30
    5:30 p.m.: Social event with the Trail Care Crew featuring beer provided by Hopworks Brewery, swag giveaways and a mountain bike movie. Location TBA. See nw-trail.org.

Saturday, Oct. 2
    8 a.m. - noon: IMBA Trailbuilding School, LL Stub Stewart State Park cabin village conference center. (Breakfast and snacks provided by the Northwest Trail Alliance.)
    Noon: Lunch (provided by the Northwest Trail Alliance)
    1-5 p.m.: Trail work in LL Stub Stewart Mountain Bike area, 30380 Northwest Highway 47, Buxton, OR 97109.

Sunday, Oct. 3
    9 a.m. - 1 p.m.: Mountain Bike ride in LL Stub Stewart Mountain Bike area. Sunday is International “Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day.”

The school includes a full day of classroom and field instruction, incorporating interactive learning, hands-on trailwork and top-notch instructors to develop skilled trailworkers and trailwork leaders. Topics covered include: sustainable trail design, basic construction, turns, drainage and bridges, trail reroutes, trail reclamation, rockwork, fostering volunteer clubs and partnerships and effective use of signage.

The IMBA Trail Care Crew is being hosted by the Northwest Trail Alliance and the Westside Trail Federation. Since 1997, IMBA Trailbuilding Schools have taught more than 150,000 people — including the land managers that make decisions about bicycle access - how to build durable, fun-to-ride trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    20 slots remaining (out of 50 total), so if your interested, grab a slot before they fill up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can't the crew go and clear Huffman Peak instead of workin' on horsey trails?I'm sure this sounds awful of me,but who wants to ride Stub over something special and ignored like Huffman.I am sure that I am OT...here is the apology " I apologize".Now...clear Huffman please.Does anyone actually ride at Stub Stewart?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

troubled economist
    The event is more about skill-building that can be transferred throughout the build season to other trails.

Stub is a great host facility-- relatively close to Portland, structures to house the event training, trails that need to be built and a facility with a very accommodating land manager.

Stub has potential-- and bike-specific trails in addition to the "horsey" mulit-use trails-- it's just a little "green" right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If we sign up the city leaders, do you think they would go? They could sure stand to learn a thing or two about bike trails.

Sounds like a fun event!

Singletrack Addict
    I'm in. I tried to get down to Eugene a few years ago when they came through, so I'm happy for another chance.

Members who have read this thread: 0