mtbr member

Illegal Feature in MacDonald Forest

Today, myself and a friend went for an afternoon mud ride in mac forest west of Corvallis. For those of you who know the trails out there, we'd just started the top part of "Endo" and came across an illegally made MMTF(man made technical feature). Constructed of maple wood saplings as the surface material, overlaying 3 fir runners, with many of the "sticks" were not even nailed down. The landing was of even poorer construction where it was just piled up deadfall with some dirt thrown over the top. Overall it was some of the sketchiest building I've seen all for a single 1.5ft drop. Well, we quickly decided to deconstruct the feature for safety and to prevent the closure of the trail system to mountain bikes. It is exactly this kind of wrecklessness and disregard for the established rules that gets the entire group of mountain bikers looked down upon and limits the places for us to ride. Please if you were one of or know one of the people involved with building of stunts on the Mac-Dunn trails, I strongly discourage further building of features. If more of a freeride trail system is desired out there, go through the appropriate channels and get organized. Okay, my post is done....
    Last edited by BRMBA MONKEY!; 12-17-2009 at 04:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Mac forest gets a lot of young people with no long term commitment leading to regular occurrences like the one you took care of.

If I was going to flame you technically I could point out you were riding on an illegal trail.

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by BRMBA MONKEY!
    Overall it was some of the sketchiest building I've seen all for a single 1.5ft drop. Well, we quickly decided to deconstruct the feature for safety and to prevent the closure of the trail system to mountain bikes. It is exactly this kind of wrecklessness and disregard for the established rules that gets the entire group of mountain bikers looked down upon and limits the places for us to ride. :
    Are you talking about the busted up drop that's been there for years or have the children built a new one in anticipation of a Christmas big hit rig? There used to be a halfway decent teeter-totter too but weather took its coarse. I don't ride that side much anymore since Chute Me and Groove Tube got logged.

I definitely smell what you're stepping in, as far as respecting the rules and all that, but like Brandon pointed out you were also breaking the rules. That trail is unsanctioned and should never have hikers or bikers on it for any purpose, and you know disregard for the established rules is what gets the entire group of mountain bikers looked down upon and limits the places for us to ride
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    FWIW, I rarely ride in that area, and when I do it's with others leading the way since I don't know the trails down there all that well. I do appreciate you guys setting me straight about being on an illegal trail in the first place. With all the stories I keep hearing about conflict and negative associations with mountain bikers in other states, I'm trying to be as conscientious as ever when cycling. I did pull up an online map of the area, but I'd have to go back and mark out exactly where we were at to be more positive.

EDIT: I pulled out my paper copy of the mac forest map and yes we were on the first portion of Extendo just after the Uproute trail. As noted on the map the trail is supposed to be off limits to bikers after 10/31, similar to other trails because it is believed the trails are not able to sustain bikes during that time of year due to erosion(skidding etc.). Due to our recent dry weather though, the trail was relatively still drier than normal. I also have personal feelings about closure dates later in the year due to fear of erosion/trails destruction. Yes, it can occur. However, with experience, guidance, and knowledge of how to properly ride a bike, a more advanced rider can ride these trails with nary a mark left on them. I am not condoning breaking the rules, but I do feel it is a little unfair to exclude more experienced riders that wouldn't damage said trail.
    Last edited by BRMBA MONKEY!; 12-14-2009 at 05:13 PM.

mtbr member
    There's no need to justify your actions, in fact if anything you look worse making such arguments (the rules don't appply to me because....).

I appreciate you tossing the stunt off the trail, I don't really care if you were or were not on an illegal section of trail.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    How many trails do you suppose were "illegal" at some time before they were made "legal". You cant tell me that all of the trails in Oregon or the US for that matter were built by sanctioned user groups. Many trails that are considered " illegal" have been here for generations. Why is a trail that has been around for 50 plus years considered "illegal" because it does not have a bureaucracy seal of approval. I concede to and champion the fact that permission is required to construct new trails and features. That being said. You better lock me up because I ride "illegal" trails every week. Ooh. Did I just say that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    FWIW, I rarely ride in that area, and when I do it's with others leading the way since I don't know the trails down there all that well. I do appreciate you guys setting me straight about being on an illegal trail in the first place. With all the stories I keep hearing about conflict and negative associations with mountain bikers in other states, I'm trying to be as conscientious as ever when cycling. I did pull up an online map of the area, but I'd have to go back and mark out exactly where we were at to be more positive.

EDIT: I pulled out my paper copy of the mac forest map and yes we were on the first portion of Extendo just after the Uproute trail. As noted on the map the trail is supposed to be off limits to bikers after 10/31, similar to other trails because it is believed the trails are not able to sustain bikes during that time of year due to erosion(skidding etc.). Due to our recent dry weather though, the trail was relatively still drier than normal. I also have personal feelings about closure dates later in the year due to fear of erosion/trails destruction. Yes, it can occur. However, with experience, guidance, and knowledge of how to properly ride a bike, a more advanced rider can ride these trails with nary a mark left on them. I am not condoning breaking the rules, but I do feel it is a little unfair to exclude more experienced riders that wouldn't damage said trail.
    I can tell from your comments about 'experience, guidance and knowledge...' that you feel fairly entitled to do whatever you want on the trails despite the rules, but if you don't know the trails that well and rarely ride in the area, maybe you should leave things alone.

mtbr member
    This isn't what I wanted this thread to become...
    Brandon- Thanks for your honest opinion. I'm in no way desiring/intending to argue that we had a right to be on the trail for what ever reason.

sholmboe- Quite the opposite. I feel more responsible for my actions because of what I know and how I ride.

By no means am I trying to raise eyebrows or tempers. If anything I was trying to defuse a potentially more drastic situation had the jump been seen by any forest management personnel. Sorry if my comments made it seem I have an elitist agenda for I do not by any means. I hope to see you guys on the trails, we should all get out and enjoy this wonderful Oregon weather we have, I know I did tonight and it was a little wet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    no hard feelings from me, but i think my point about not knowing the area is especially pertinent on this topic. the trail that you were on is on private land (according to the map i have attached, green area is MAC, not green is private) and for all you know, whoever put it there had permission to do so.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Illegal Feature in MacDonald Forest-forest.jpg  

mtbr member
    Endo is on Starker forest property, Starker does not allow stunts and technically you are supposed to get a free permit from them to ride on any of their land.

Riding the "illegal" trails in Mac forest is a complicated topic with some strong opinions on both sides. It's been going on for longer than Mountain bikes have been around, many of those trails were used by equestrians and motorcycles long before mountain bikes were popular, some of them predate the giving of the land to OSU.

Every few years someone in the forestry department gets in a lather and goes around putting up signs marking them all as closed but does nothing to actually prevent their use so users ignore the signs and/or tear them down. It's all a bunch of pointless drama really. The school has to deal with wack-jobs complaining of trees crying when their cut and others whining about ruining "their" trails so they are basically just putting up notice that the trails are not protected in any way it is a working forest not a public park.

mtbr member
    Hey guys. I rode Blackrock for the first time last week. I saw a couple stunts that looked kinda sketchy so I tore them down and threw the remnants into the woods. I'm not sure if they were on public or private land so I just assumed they shouldn't be there and got rid of them. I hope that's not offensive since I am not really a local and don't know much about Blackrock.

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl
    Hey guys. I rode Blackrock for the first time last week. I saw a couple stunts that looked kinda sketchy so I tore them down and threw the remnants into the woods. I'm not sure if they were on public or private land so I just assumed they shouldn't be there and got rid of them. I hope that's not offensive since I am not really a local and don't know much about Blackrock.
    You forgot to mention that you were riding a motorcycle.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Obviously Single

Sarcasm?

As a lurker on this thread (I don't ride in Mac Forest or in Black Rock), I'm guessing this is a poor attempt at Sarcasm.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member

Stick to Black Rock you squid! Nice job on the off season trail riding justification. I'm sure in your infinite wisdom you can explain to the rest of the group why we could possibly lose all riding yearlong because you are such a skilled rider and upset the hikers who love to look for any excuse to report illegal seasonal or illegal trail riding.

mtbr member
    Exactly!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

No good Sketchy?

Maybe it's deteriorated considerably over the last couple of months, but the drop you tore out was in great condition over the summer. It was a nice beginner drop with a good transition. I say if it's an obvious stunt that's easy to avoid (like this one was) leave it alone .

I agree with trying to keep the trails safe, but this was unnecessary. BTW if you see a log across a trail with lot of chainring marks..... LEAVE IT ALONE...... we'll take our chances.

Hopefully it will get built back up for next summer.

SS93

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelstump93
    Maybe it's deteriorated considerably over the last couple of months, but the drop you tore out was in great condition over the summer. It was a nice beginner drop with a good transition. I say if it's an obvious stunt that's easy to avoid (like this one was) leave it alone .

I agree with trying to keep the trails safe, but this was unnecessary. BTW if you see a log across a trail with lot of chainring marks..... LEAVE IT ALONE...... we'll take our chances.

Hopefully it will get built back up for next summer.

SS93
    Maybe we should hold a work day party to rework the famed drop? Or would that be ironic? I agree, it was alot of fun for as little (and apparently sketchy) as it was. Something to look forward to on that trail. Not super stoked it's gone, thats for sure.
    It's a good time for good times

mtbr member
    Today, myself and a friend went for an afternoon mud ride in mac forest west of Corvallis.
    Were any of your friends local? Did anyone know who build the stunt? You guys broke rule number 1: don't mess with someone else's trails!

As others said, the stunt was perfectly safe in the summer and I don't know any victim it caused. In contrast I know a lot of stunts in Blackrock that caused victims. So do I go out and deconstruct stuff there? No, because I am not in charge of these trails. Legal trails like in BR must be sanitized to comply with offical rules, so leave some of the semi-legal stuff for the real experience.

You shouldn't have been there in the first place and definitely should not destroyed someone else's work. Sorry man, I really love what you are doing in BR but this was a bad idea!