Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I know, not possible, but I swear I saw a Wolverine on Skyliners just north of Phil's

I just can't see a Badger taking up half the lane of the road?!?!?!

I also don't remember seeing white stripes on the face. Sun was behind my back, right in it's face, so I had a clear look.

It also stopped in the road, shifted and faced me, and I swear the width of it's stance was about 3 feet.

If I saw it 100' out in the natural forest, I would never be able to judge size, but rolling down a road on my bike, you can tell pretty good how big something is by the scale of the lane. This thing was at least 40lbs I would guess. I have an 80lb dog, and this was the same size just 12" off the ground.

I know, not possible!!!!
    Bend, Oregon

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Isn't it a little early to be drinking? J/K.

Where?

mtbr member
    Crossing Skyliners, no more than 1/2 mile up, from the left turn to Phil's TH.

I know, it had to be a huge Badger, but damn it was big.

EDIT: It was 93 freaking degrees out and I had just rode 20 miles who knows maybe my perception was jacked up a little haha.
    Bend, Oregon

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Cool!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wolverines in Oregon? The rumors are true News OPB

Wolverine ? Oregon Wild

Males often have a home range spanning nearly 240 square miles.

mtbr member
    That article said they often resemble a small bear, and that is what I first thought, but it was SO LOW to the ground I knew it wasn't.

Huh maybe then, according to the article....

"In Oregon, prime habitat for wolverines exists along the eastern slopes of the Cascade Range and in the northeastern part of the state."

Also says they should potentially be found in Deschutes county.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That's really amazing! Not sure exactly who you should notify, but it seems like there must be some local biologist that would be very interested and might want to look for tracks in the dust near where you saw it. Jim Anderson, the naturalist who writes for the Source Weekly would probably be a good person to contact, as he knows many local biologists. Not sure of his email address, but if you contact the Source, I'm sure they could put you in contact.

mtbr member
    Good call let me look into that.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bummer you couldn't get a picture. By the way, Audubon has a great guide app specific to the Pacific Northwest for all birds, insects, fishes, reptiles/amphibians, mammals, shore creatures and shells, and of course plants/trees. Priciest app I have ever bought, but it really is neat for looking up this kind of stuff.

mtbr member
    Most likely it was a large American Marten and they are known to be in that area. I've only seen one once up at Timberline on Mt. Hood.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Most likely it was a large American Marten and they are known to be in that area. I've only seen one once up at Timberline on Mt. Hood.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Not sure on how many Fishers are around, but they are more consistent with the size (3-18lbs, compared to just 1-3lbs for Martens) and coloration that Thuren discussed. These critters do look bigger than their actual weight, and simply speaking of known populations, a 15-lb Fisher would be much more likely than a 30-40lb wolverine, but I would not totally put wolverine out of possibility. Photos, below (top: wolverine, middle: fisher, bottom: American marten)

Name:  wolverine7.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  68.5 KB

I know, not possible, but I swear I saw a Wolverine on Skyliners just north of Phil's-fisher.jpg

Name:  4067834374_f07a5a59c4.jpg
Views: 3049
Size:  243.7 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    By the way, these are all very cool animals.

mtbr member
    Yeah those all look like what I saw, but even going LIGHT on the weight, I would say what I saw was 40lbs. I know going by "looks" considering the fluff of fur, it looked like 80lbs of terror lol.

BTW I went back by the spot today, and there is no way to see a track. Side of the road is all gravel, and the forest floor is light scrub. It would have almost have to walk on wet mud or SMOOTH singletrack dust to see a "print".
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by kidtrailboss View Post
    Awesome!!! Nice documentary.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'd say it's within the realm of possibility that you saw a wolverine. I have seen 2 in the North Cascades (and 1 in BC). Certainly the habitat is there for them to exist all the way down into the Sierra's. One thing I would comment on is that it is fairly easy to distinguish between a Wolverine & a Badger so if your still thinking Wolverine after looking at some pics ....there you go. Obviously a Marten is in a whole other size/shape/movement profile. But then again I saw a grey wolf in the coast range so what do I know.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Someone I know well says he saw a black mountain lion last summer up on stormking. Can you say black panther?

And someone just a couple weeks ago spotted a black bear at the top of Mrazek.

I just see deer.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    There was a letter in one of the papers a few years ago from some guy swearing he saw a Yeti-like creature crossing Century Dr. near Storm King.

I see mostly deer, a few coyotes, and a bunch of dogs. That's about it.

mtbr member
    Cool! I am pretty sure that I saw a wolf on Phil's canyon the April before last, leaped across the trail 40 feet in front of me while pulled over. I have seen wolves first hand and it was definitely not a dog or cougar. Might have been a wolf-dog cross. This was at the time the wolf/s were roaming from NE Oregon down to California.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    There was a letter in one of the papers a few years ago from some guy swearing he saw a Yeti-like creature crossing Century Dr. near Storm King.
    See those all the time in Eugene and Ashland. Never seen one as far east as Bend. Must have been lost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    baby sasquatch

mtbr member
    Squatch dog - I've seen em. I know they're real!

Have FUN!

Bobo
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Too bad you didn't see Storm!

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    See those all the time in Eugene and Ashland. Never seen one as far east as Bend. Must have been lost.
    Metolius-Windigo trail steward from Happy Valley to Todd Creek---PM me if you'd like to help maintain Metolius-Windigo!

mtbr member
    My guy came into work all excited today, to tell me that one of his buddys randomly started telling him that he was out bow-hunting about a week ago, and was SURE he saw a Wolverine. Said he was off of RD41 I'm guessing back in near Storm King area, and thought it was a small bear, but too close to the ground. Said it looked like the shape of a Badger, which he had seen before, but it was not. Weird!!!???????
    Bend, Oregon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast