Tactical Nightmare

I know, I know.....Bend assistance, please. But they're good questions, I promise!

Alright, I have spent a lot of time reading the various Bend threads, watching Bend riding videos, and doing any research I can before asking these questions. But I am still looking for some assistance, and thought you local Bend residents may be able to help out here.

Details:
    -Staying at Eagle Crest from 8/30 – 9/3.
    -Able to ride first half of the day or more on both 8/31 and 9/1, maybe 3-4 hours of riding, and mileage can vary.
    -Will be myself and two friends. We are from the Corvallis area and can handle technical single track, steeps, fast, flow, and just about anything other than large jumps and gaps.

Questions:
    -I have read about a number of trails that are “must ride”, but it seems there is some talk on riding the trails a bit higher up, as the Phil’s area dries out pretty good this time of year. Are there trails that we should focus on, or trails we should stay away from?

-Another topic I have heard that piques our interest is that I understand that there may be trails that end right in Bend, near breweries. Our ultimate thought, if this is accurate, is to ride right up to the brewery and meet our wives and kids at one of these breweries for lunch and a post-ride recovery beer or three. Are there good quality trails that do end near a good Bend brewery?

-We have some options on getting to the trails. We can either drive ourselves, ride an out and back, and end the ride at our rig. Or, as the afore mentioned question states, a point to point ride and either have one of our ladies drop us off, and meet them later, or even use the services of COG Wild and their shuttle to get to the trail head. I plan on scoring a map as I have seen is highly recommended in some of the threads, and we don’t mind exploring. At the same time, we don’t want to spend all our time navigating and would rather be riding. I would assume of we did COG Wild, they could point us in the right direction once they drop us off from the shuttle. Any thoughts or suggestions here? Anywhere we ride, we figure we will have to drive some, as we are staying in Eagle Crest.

-Are there any other areas around Bend we should consider riding? Redmond? Sisters? Again, since we will just have a couple days to ride, our goal is to hit the best of the best trails that Bend has to offer (I know, it’s subjective). We are certainly open to suggestions and willing to listen to your thoughts.

Thank you all for your help and happy shredding!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

newfydog
    May 2009
    Plenty of good riding on the Peterson Ridge trails out of Sisters, and yes, a brew pub there to end up at too.

Just get a map

Bend and Central Oregon Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ride lower Phils up to the higher trails often. Yeah, lower Phils is dry but its still a lot of fun. Yesterday did all of Upper Whoops to Lower Whoops To Bens. Well worth the ride even though conditions are deteriorating on both segments of Whoops.

Its an easy road ride (20 - 30 mins) from the lower trail heads to Cascade Lakes Brewery, 10 Barrel, or The Broken Top Bottle Shop. And only another mile or two to the breweries downtown.

If you get a family member to shuttle you up to the higher elevation trail heads they could explore the lakes or hike. Its beautiful up there right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We must have just missed you yesterday, we rode from Swampy back to 7th Mtn on Upper to Lower Whoops and then Phils to ELV and back. Good chance of rain tonight and that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    I ride lower Phils up to the higher trails often. Yeah, lower Phils is dry but its still a lot of fun. Yesterday did all of Upper Whoops to Lower Whoops To Bens. Well worth the ride even though conditions are deteriorating on both segments of Whoops.

Its an easy road ride (20 - 30 mins) from the lower trail heads to Cascade Lakes Brewery, 10 Barrel, or The Broken Top Bottle Shop. And only another mile or two to the breweries downtown.

If you get a family member to shuttle you up to the higher elevation trail heads they could explore the lakes or hike. Its beautiful up there right now.

Tactical Nightmare
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I am really looking forward to riding over there, as it just seems so different from what I am used to here in the valley. I've been making my way around the state riding this summer when I can with a trip to Hood River and Sandy Ridge recently, plus Mary's Peak near my home, and all our local trails, with Black Rock included. But I have yet to get to Bend. Again thanks, and keep the ideas coming.

mtbr member
    Awesome that you are all coming to Bend to ride! Here is what we propose to make your trip planning easy and your time riding amazing:
    Spend your first day riding with Cog Wild, either a half day tour or full day. From our office we will shuttle you into the trails, do a great ride that does not include stopping at every intersection to look at the map and ends with Deschutes Brewery beer at our office.
    Two positives: Your guide will make sure you ride the trails that are in the best condition for when you are in town and skip those that are blown out or are connector trails you won't miss. Also, after your ride, your guide will understand your riding style and can help design two more days of riding to get the most of your time.
    Those two days can then incorporate using our $10 local shuttle to one of the snowpark trail heads and do a full day or half day ride yourselves back to a brewery..
    Give us a call if you are interested..
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

Tactical Nightmare
    Thanks Cog Wild! I really appreciate the info, and will talk with the guys to see what their thoughts are. As you could in my OP that I certainly had you in mind for your services of some sort. Thanks again, and I most likely will be in touch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am free both days, and would be more than happy to meet up with you and show you some fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a similar question, so I'm not hijacking, just using the thread as a shuttle.

I'm a Portland/Vancouver rider, Growlers Gulch Racing in Castle Rock Wa during the rainy season and everywhere else now. Some of you may know my main riding buddies: Kelly from LaCenter, an MBO guide this year aka: "The White-Bearded Satan" and Kris, DOD member and the ONE skinny plumber in Vancouver, and Jim from CR.

Well my family and I are headed out to SR 8/25-8/30 (Sun - Friday). I'm hoping that one or more of you will let me tag along for some riding. Ideally I'd ride twice in the period 8/26 - 8/29 (M - Th). These are the FULL days that I have available. I am currently intending to do a cog-wild shuttle on one of the days. Let me know. I'll be on vacation so the first round of post-ride refreshment is on me... you guys like PBR, right?

Oh, and by way of qualification: I'm not a newb, I rode MRT last month in abt 4 hours and Ape Canyon as an OAB in under 3hrs. I'm 42, not lithe by any stretch at 200#, so a slow-ish climber, but good tech skills and endurance.

Oh, and by way of reciprocation: I'm well versed in Castle Rock's 'untrails', 30+ miles of all-mountain single-track where I'm always glad to tour out-of-towners. In Winter these trails are under the snow level and actually shed water/hold up pretty well.

Thanks for any replies.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    I don't know the Bend trails well, but If I were to plan a ride to end at a brewpub, it would end at Boneyard for sure. The RPM IPA and Hop Venom are pure bliss.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Tactical Nightmare
    Ahhhh, I love Central Oregon! The scenery, the climate, the landscape, the trail terrain, and so much more!

Don't get me wrong, I love my local trails here in the valley for sure, but having a change of trails like Central Oregon is so nice!

We rode Saturday for a total of about 34 miles. We parked at the Wanoga SnoPark and rode down Funner, rode up Tiddlywinks, back down Tiddlywinks, then onto C.O.D. and into Bend where we met our wives and kids at Good Life Brewing for a post-ride beer and some grub. Truly, that was a dream of mine.....riding right to a brewery, parking our bikes, and downing a beer, or three.

Sunday we decided that if we were going to ride in Bend, we had to check out Phil's Trail. It is the staple, and while it may not be for everyone, we had to give it a shot. We started at Phil's Trailhead and rode all the way out Phil's to the Heli-Pad, Storm King, and then rode Storm King down to COD and Grand Slam.

We had a blast for sure! What cool trails you all have so close to town. It certainly was a different kind of ride for us as we had just over 1800' of climbing on our 33 mile ride, which here in our area, we can do a 12 mile ride and get 2300' of climbing. We truly enjoyed that aspect, as we were able to go longer, and it didn't feel like killing yourself up, to have fun ripping down. This was some flat ripping, playing around on the trail features like rocks and roots, and just enjoying the flow. Nothing seemed too technical, but it offered plenty of fun and challenge.

The traction was a trip too! I was preparing myself for loose and dry like Hood River, but that pumice seems to really hold a tire fairly well. It was a welcome surprise for sure!

Thanks wasfast for your offer for help and you too COG Wild! Both were very gracious, but we gave a shot at following the very nice COTA map, and we were also impressed with the way the signs were designated with junction numbers. It is a very thought out trail system. One to be proud of for sure.

If you never have been there.......Go Ride Bend!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nice ride report. I was out there on Saturday as well with a Cog Wild group. 4 of us plus the guide, and a nice mix of terrain and trails (Flagline-South Fork-Skyliner-Whoops-Phil's).

Such different geology, climate, plant life from what we have in the Willamette Valley. Can't wait to go back again now that I've gotten a feel for the trails and start branching out into other sections of the network.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Such different geology, climate, plant life from what we have in the Willamette Valley. Can't wait to go back again now that I've gotten a feel for the trails and start branching out into other sections of the network.
    Haha! It runs both ways! While I'll never give up the Bend area ecoregion, I just sometimes need a lush rainforest break. I just got back from camping along the McKenzie, at the magnificent Paradise Campground. No biking (I didn't even bring one), just strictly camping and relaxing. Hiked some in the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest, too.

We sure have it good in Oregon. I'd live in no other state!

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    We sure have it good in Oregon. I'd live in no other state!
    You know it brother! We do have it good for sure and I feel very fortunate for it! Hard to believe that I can ride the dense forests here in the valley and travel just two hours east and be in the high mountains riding some killer single track!