Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

Hwy 44 conditions

I haven't been by in about a month. Anyone know if the snow is melted off on Surveyors Ridge or 15 Mile Creek yet?

What day are we riding?

Some Pics...

Here are pics from last Thursday of 44 and the Dog River/Surveyors Ridge intersection...
    Attached Images Attached Images

What day are we riding?
    Dog River had quite a few blowdowns but the trail was clear up until it turned east into the trees from the west facing ridge that you ride up. Did not have time to check out Surveyors, but gut feeling is that the sections along the ridge that face west should be clear. But, once again, I did not ride it.

If you head up, post back here with how it looks...

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

Thanks

Looks like another week or so to be mostly clear of snow. Thanks for the pics.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It is supposed to warm up this week

Maybe into the 80s on Monday. It will melt the snow like crazy. We shall be riding the high country soon...yahoo!

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Should be soon...I was up there Friday and its melting slowly. Its probably rideable but my guess is a lot of stop and go through the snow

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Rode my road bike to the top of Larch Mountain in Oregon today

It was free of snow until I got above probably 3,500 feet or so. Then, there was probably 2-3 feet of snow. I'm sure the 90 degree temps will kill that fast. A great road ride from Troutdale by the way...14 miles of climbing will get my butt in shape fast.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Was it clear all the way to the parking lot? I have been wanting to do that climb but I thought there would still be snow on it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There is a lot of snow once you get into the trees at surveyors, I personally wouldnt even bother trying to ride it. Should be another couple of weeks before its totally clear. That goes for the other trails in the area as well, still a decent amount of hard old snow on the ground.

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

I love that climb.

[QUOTE=Jaybo]It was free of snow until I got above probably 3,500 feet or so. Then, there was probably 2-3 feet of snow. I'm sure the 90 degree temps will kill that fast. A great road ride from Troutdale by the way...14 miles of climbing will get my butt in shape fast.

I assume that you started at Lewis and Clark State Park. If you ride Larch Mtn. from town it's almost a century. Nice flat warm up, chug up the hill, rest on the descent, survive the flats back into town and pray for no headwind.

Thanks for the info on 44

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

We the people ... blow down on dog river

Hey i rode up dog river, yes I said UP on sunday 5/14. Went just over 3 miles up and turned around. There was roughly 15 trees down on the trail. Most you could just step over but there was one 40 inch that was very hard to climb over. I cleaned 5 small trees and branches from the trail. But it needs chain saws and serious work party. I stopped at the ranger station on 35 but it was closed. Who maintains these trails??

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I dont know about those, but PUMP does 15 mile, maybe they do all those trails?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It was clear all the way to the parking lot

There is snow on the side of the road but none on the road. It is a killer climb with a double! My quads are still sore but it was fun. The shadows and light on the road make visibility hard for both riders and cars. I rode up with lights on to make myself more visible to avoid becoming road kill. A great road climb...

Jaybo

PS Yes, I road it from a few miles west of Troutdale...I have no clue how far I went because I don't like computers on bikes...I have one at work. 'Nuf said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amtbr
    I dont know about those, but PUMP does 15 mile, maybe they do all those trails?
    Ah...OK. I went to PUMP's ride thingy last year just to show support. They were claiming that they did ALL the work on the trails in that area. The people that actually cleared those trails (Surveyors, 450, 8 mile, Kneebal, etc.) just bit their tongue as we observed that over half of the people there didn't have the required Northwest Pass in their vehicles.

There is only one person that is paid to clear the trails and he stays pretty busy and appreciates the help but you must work with him. He does not like rogue trail cleaning.

TRAILS

15 mile - road is still closed
    450 - minimum 3 weeks before you MIGHT be able to go 3/4 up
    8 mile - 2 weeks for upper (southern exposure) to be clear of snow min. of 3 weeks for lower section
    Surveyors - 3 weeks again
    Dog river - 2 weeks
    Kneebal - I don't really care anymore, have not heard anymore about teh new section opening this spring or not.

Blow down is excessive on all trails! Don't expect nice clean trails for the Holiday weekend like last year just too much work and too little time after teh snow clears.

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I noticed some nice new clear cut on knebal near the section by 44, oh boy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amtbr
    I noticed some nice new clear cut on knebal near the section by 44, oh boy
    Yep, what can you do. Eight mile is going to be a mess this year with the new cutting on the southern face - top will be bone dry and bottom will be wet. IF we see the warm rain this weekend everything may change.

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"