Thread: Hows Sandy now?

Insanity later

Hows Sandy now?

I was thinking about heading out while the sun is still shining. Any snow up top? Not too muddy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    As of last Saturday, it was in pretty amazing shape.

The only mud, as far as I remember, was coming from Old Man Sparty's leaky behind.

mtbr member

Thursday ride.

I was up there today and surprised how good the trail conditions are. There is some mud, but plenty of traction right now. The flow/jump section of Quid Pro Flow even had some grip.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Trail work party there on Saturday.

Then I am planning on riding it on Sunday.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I just got back from there and my bike and I are covered in mud. It must have rained there this morning because the trails are muddy. Good ride though.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Trail work party there on Saturday.

Then I am planning on riding it on Sunday.
    It was a clear sunny Sunday. Little mud, some frost, and a bunch of happy riders
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Sandy was perfect today except for lower Hide and Seek. This area had some muddy frost but once back under the trees it is sweet! Unbelievable conditions for December!

I rode today in a base layer with no gloves and was warm. It was like I was above the inversion and it was warm. Great day of riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Sandy was perfect today except for lower Hide and Seek. This area had some muddy frost but once back under the trees it is sweet! Unbelievable conditions for December!

I rode today in a base layer with no gloves and was warm. It was like I was above the inversion and it was warm. Great day of riding!
    Dude, go ride a real trail. Sandy is not that much fun and is overrated, don't you know

Just thinking about it makes me want to go ride Forest Park. Now that is a real ride for being such a toxic swamp of a place I can't keep away, must ride firelanes now!
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like Sandy Ridge pretty well but it is more slopestyle and artificial than I like with a boring road climb. It certainly is a great place for the big bike crowd.

Forest Park is a snooze but this mountain biking desert only gives a guy so much to ride--at least within in an hour of my house.

mtbr member
    Hmm..I have seen many a hardtail and XC bikes up there having a blast. Too each his own though.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup! I ride all over that place on a hardtail, and I have a blast doing so.

troubled economist
    Great conditions today, just a little sloppy in that lower open section of H&S that gets prone to freeze/thaw (much like Syncline, imo).

The rest: primo.
    dig...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Today was freaking awesome, easily some of the best trail conditions of the year (with the exception of the short freeze / thaw section mentioned above) Fast, tacky , grippy, and it's December What's not to like?

Only drag is the "improved" creek crossing...kind of liked it the old way. Almost too easy now

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The conditions on Quid Pro were absolutely wonderful this weekend .Big bikes ? Road climb *****in' ...you might want to smile more .The dog would appreciate it ! I love the little rock pile on the second rock garden ...too cute .What is up with the little "kicker" exiting the super sanitized creek crossing ? Big thanks to all of you who have worked on this system ! Long live the "Rooster " !
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Prime conditions at SR right now; go get some!
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thinking about heading to Sandy on Monday, any word on conditions? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Good

conditions today. A little snow near the top open area, but good conditions under tree cover. A few mud puddles on H&S.

B42
    mtbr member
    I hiked up Hunchback mountain today and it's about the same elevation across the valley. There might be a little snow on top but nothing to worry about. We got a lot of wind the last few days, so I would watch for new helmet cleaners across the trail. It's also supposed to rain tomorrow up here.

Anyway, maybe I'll see you out there. I expect some mud in the flats, corners, and exposed parts of QPF. 😄
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

B42
    mtbr member
    Almost no mud. It was pretty much an excellent day. Hope you made it up Tonghands. The rain even held off till around 4 pm.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B42 View Post
    Almost no mud. It was pretty much an excellent day. Hope you made it up Tonghands. The rain even held off till around 4 pm.
    Cool, good to hear. I almost went, but went to east Gorge instead. Sunny and blue skies with not a cloud in the sky east of HR until about 4pm. Pretty nice for this time of year
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How's it look for this Saturday? Too muddy with the chance of rain today and tomorrow?

B42
    mtbr member
    Unlike other places, sandy ridge is very rideable in wet weather. As muddy spots develop the trail gnomes harden/revamp those areas so it doesn't get worse and will stay non-muddy next time it rains.

I'm amazed at the areas that a year ago were sloppy in the first bit of rain, that are now solid as a rock any time of the year.

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by B42 View Post
    Unlike other places, sandy ridge is very rideable in wet weather. As muddy spots develop the trail gnomes harden/revamp those areas so it doesn't get worse and will stay non-muddy next time it rains.

I'm amazed at the areas that a year ago were sloppy in the first bit of rain, that are now solid as a rock any time of the year.
    The volunteer gnomes will be out tomorrow (Sandy Ridge trail maintenance day), come throw some dirt if you have the chance.

Thanks for the good words, too, a lot of hours have been put into making the trail rideable year-round by volunteers over the last two seasons. Good stuff!
    dig...