Lightly salted

How is the year round riding in Ashland?

Me and my family may be making a move to Ashland. We have been up twice to look at property, but I have not got to ride there yet. Where I live now Im lucky that I have a few parks very near that have mostly sandy soil and can ride them all winter long even in pouring rain. Im happy riding anything from xc to dh as long as it's on dirt. How is the winter riding in Ashland? Do your trails get shut down for winter due to snow/mud? What months if any are the trails shut down for winter? I think I would go crazy if I couldn't get my dirt fix all winter!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ashland Winter Riding

I don't live in Ashland, but have ridden there a good bit. I live in Eugene and ride year round here so I keep an eye on this sort of stuff. Locals to Ashland would obviously know better.

Winter riding from town in Ashland will vary from year to year, but the best riding gets shut out for some period of time each winter due to snow. I would think that on average, you can access the Four Corners areas on Mt Ashland from late April through late November. Riding on Mt Ashland is best in the spring and better when the rain returns again in the fall.

There is some riding south of Jacksonville around Applegate Lake that is probably good to go year round, but you are looking at a pretty basic trail that is at least an hour away.

Taylor Creek outside of Grants Pass is likely / maybe snow free for the majority of the year. About an hour from Ashland as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Me and my family may be making a move to Ashland. We have been up twice to look at property, but I have not got to ride there yet. Where I live now Im lucky that I have a few parks very near that have mostly sandy soil and can ride them all winter long even in pouring rain. Im happy riding anything from xc to dh as long as it's on dirt. How is the winter riding in Ashland? Do your trails get shut down for winter due to snow/mud? What months if any are the trails shut down for winter? I think I would go crazy if I couldn't get my dirt fix all winter!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have lived in Ashland since 1997 and ride all year around.
    Many miles of trails are rideable thru winter (and winters are becoming more mild).
    I have ridden the loop road (4300 ft) in January and had to hike a few sections of <200ft due to snow. Could have made it on a fat bike!
    I ride on the road also, but prefer dirt.
    If your dirt fix can be cured by 1-1.5 hour rides, you will be fine in winter.

Lightly salted
    Thank you both for the info. Good to hear there are trails to ride in the winter. I don't mind if it's shorter rides as long as I can get out. I don't have a fat bike, but this may be a good excuse for me to get one!