mtbr member
    Sep 2007

How is Riding in the Ashland area?

Hello Members of the Tribe,
    I may have to move to Ashland. Just wondering about the availability of trails to ride in the area. I am now in western NC mountains, Brevard area, which has several hundred miles to choose from. How does it compare? MTBing is very important to me and, believe it or not, the local MTB scene would influence my decision. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Hello Members of the Tribe,
    I may have to move to Ashland. Just wondering about the availability of trails to ride in the area. I am now in western NC mountains, Brevard area, which has several hundred miles to choose from. How does it compare? MTBing is very important to me and, believe it or not, the local MTB scene would influence my decision. Thanks.
    Having ridden the great trails of Pisgah and others in your area I would say don't hesitate. I moved to Ashland from Jacksonville for the riding. The trail system is excellent and will be growing in a big way over the next 5 years. Three hours North of here is Oakridge. Arguably some of the best mountain biking in the world. Just be prepared for a little more climbing than you are used to.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks Fly Rod - trout fishing is second only to MTB for me.

It is interesting that you brought up Oakridge. I was fortunate enough to be in the area several years ago and it was fantastic riding. Despite the difference in local flora and fauna it is very much like my part of Pisgah, long up-hills when you want them, coupled with great "out there" single track, and plenty of gravel to grind when it is too wet for trail riding. But, I must say, there seemed to be a weird vibe between the biking community and the other outdoor enthusiasts at that time. Was I mis-reading this, and if not, has it been sorted out?

Proximity to Oakridge is something I liked about Ashland, not to mention northern CA where some of our family resides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I started riding the Cream Puff while I still lived in Jacksonville back @ '95-6. Back then the people in Oakridge didn't really know what we were about. After a few years they really caught on to the fact that mountain biking could save the town. Most of the forward looking residents welcome us with open arms now. The vibe now is totally different and 95% positive. So much so that my wife and I are considering buying a house there.

BTW we have trout here but they live in the limelight of the steelhead. A giant trout on steroids. When you get out here I will hook you up with the fishing scene.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks FlyRod - I'll PM you when we head out your way.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Awesome but is sounds like the riding in Brevard is freaking awesome. Tough call. More trails in your area but I love Ashland. Come out and ride and make your decision.