Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290

    how many oregon guys/gals use strava?

    freaking cool app.... but, damn... some of those numbers are insane!!!! 17 mins from Phils to voodoo...

  2. #2
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    freaking cool app.... but, damn... some of those numbers are insane!!!! 17 mins from Phils to voodoo...
    Use it all the time. Love it. Makes you ride faster!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    I think its a ton of fun to know your personal ride times, and then to see if you moved up from your last standing in the "group" that rode it. I need to get a HR monitor and see what the suffer score is all about.

  4. #4
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Feel free to follow me on Strava. I will follow you back. I am listed as Willem Boom. Cheers!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    I use it, its neat to see where I stack up.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    162
    While the "virtual racing" aspect is cool and all, i use Strata mainly as a way to map my rides, keep a diary of my ride history and to scope out new routes. Try the "Explore" feature and browse around the map or search by area. - it's a great way to do some initial recon on new trails in unfamiliar areas.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Feel free to follow me on Strava. I will follow you back. I am listed as Willem Boom. Cheers!!!
    this might have been the worst idea, I can already see how much faster you are than me. haha...

  8. #8
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    this might have been the worst idea, I can already see how much faster you are than me. haha...
    LMAO!! Ride more, climb in heavier gears (big ring), and work on your cornering. You will get faster. Cheers!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    LMAO!! Ride more, climb in heavier gears (big ring), and work on your cornering. You will get faster. Cheers!!
    The climbing in bigger gears is an incredible boost. As a personal challenge one day, I decided to do a segment that I regularly ride in my big ring rather than the small (2x10). I set a new PR and it didn't hurt any more than my normal runs. I'm contemplating a switch to 1x10 or 1x11 based on this.

    As for the original question... I'm a Strava'er. While I have a few KOMs, I'm not really competitive. I mostly use it for tracking my performance, elevation gains, and distance.

  10. #10
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampir View Post
    The climbing in bigger gears is an incredible boost. As a personal challenge one day, I decided to do a segment that I regularly ride in my big ring rather than the small (2x10). I set a new PR and it didn't hurt any more than my normal runs. I'm contemplating a switch to 1x10 or 1x11 based on this.

    As for the original question... I'm a Strava'er. While I have a few KOMs, I'm not really competitive. I mostly use it for tracking my performance, elevation gains, and distance.
    Running a 1x10 or 1x9 is awesome. I run a 1x9 with a 34T Chain-ring on my 26 inch hard-tail. Works very well. I am building a 1x10 29er hard-tail. Absolutely the way to go. I also ride a 29er SS with a 32x16 set-up. Once your legs get used to the extra strength required, you will get faster and faster.

    With regard to downhill, the same theory applies. Run in the hardest gear and work the corners. Most of the speed is found in the exits and entrances of corners. That is where you make up time and increase your average speed.

    Once you get a nice cadence in a harder gear, stay in that gear. I tend not shift too often. Happy Riding!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    LMAO!! Ride more, climb in heavier gears (big ring), and work on your cornering. You will get faster. Cheers!!
    the ride you went on yesterday looked awesome... lots and lots of climbing!

  12. #12
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    the ride you went on yesterday looked awesome... lots and lots of climbing!
    Not enough!! Need more vertical. Hopefully later this week. Weather permitting....
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    we rode yesterday and geeez, I need to invest in some shoe covers and warmer clothing! it was such a good ride but, I was freezing at the end of it. Got any opinions on gear for riding in the cold?

  14. #14
    newfydog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    244
    If you find a strava route you want to ride, paste the url into this site:

    Strava Export - Download GPX and TCX Files From Strava

    It will let you export the route and load it into google maps, your GPS, etc.

    We went riding in Redding Calif. last week so I just did a "Strava explore" for routes in the 25- 50 mile range. We loaded them into our GPS, and rode all the hidden single tracks the locals ride.

  15. #15
    it means 'no problem'
    Reputation: sans soucie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    507
    My only beef with this is the idea that you are in a "race" when you're using it, and your trail etiquette was left at the trail head.

    Please keep in mind all trails are shared and to yield when you're supposed to. The world isn't your personal race course even if you happen to use Strava.

    end rant.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

  16. #16
    Obviously Single
    Reputation: LeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    My only beef with this is the idea that you are in a "race" when you're using it, and your trail etiquette was left at the trail head.

    Please keep in mind all trails are shared and to yield when you're supposed to. The world isn't your personal race course even if you happen to use Strava.

    end rant.
    +1

    Thank you for saying what I was thinking ...
    The Lee-Man

    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    My only beef with this is the idea that you are in a "race" when you're using it, and your trail etiquette was left at the trail head.

    Please keep in mind all trails are shared and to yield when you're supposed to. The world isn't your personal race course even if you happen to use Strava.

    end rant.
    Totally. I've been using Strava for a while now, and try to be nice, especially when hauling the mail down the trail. There is always next time!

    Side note, I went on a ride a couple days ago, and there were some real jerks in the Phils area. I think one of the 5 people coming down the trail slightly slowed down for me climbing, with not so much as a smile or kiss my a$$. I pretty much had to get out of everyones way. Almost time to just play chicken and see how good they are on the brakes.
    Bend, Oregon

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    If you find a strava route you want to ride, paste the url into this site:

    Strava Export - Download GPX and TCX Files From Strava

    It will let you export the route and load it into google maps, your GPS, etc.

    We went riding in Redding Calif. last week so I just did a "Strava explore" for routes in the 25- 50 mile range. We loaded them into our GPS, and rode all the hidden single tracks the locals ride.
    Such a good technique I have been doing this for a while and love it! So easy to get lost otherwise.
    Bend, Oregon

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Not enough!! Need more vertical. Hopefully later this week. Weather permitting....
    Dude your Ben's down!!!! My goal is to crack the 20min mark going down, and you almost did it!

    I have not tried for a while with all the traffic. Might head up for a sundown ripper today.

    Strava Segment | Ben's trail down, to Phil's TH

    Were you on your hardtail that run?
    Bend, Oregon

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    freaking cool app.... but, damn... some of those numbers are insane!!!! 17 mins from Phils to voodoo...
    There are some fit freaking people in this town. I can't believe the climbing times/speeds it's crazy.
    Bend, Oregon

  21. #21
    Obviously Single
    Reputation: LeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Totally. I've been using Strava for a while now, and try to be nice, especially when hauling the mail down the trail. There is always next time!

    Side note, I went on a ride a couple days ago, and there were some real jerks in the Phils area. I think one of the 5 people coming down the trail slightly slowed down for me climbing, with not so much as a smile or kiss my a$$. I pretty much had to get out of everyones way. Almost time to just play chicken and see how good they are on the brakes.
    I don't know your situation in detail, and I'm not recommending this ...

    But when I used to patrol in Colorado Springs on the trails, occasionally I would see a bike rider acting like this, i.e. going fast and expecting others to move out of the way.

    I found that if I put my bike sideways on the trail and stood behind it, they would stop. Then I had a chance to talk to them and ask how their day was going.

    Note: this was on Cross Country trails where you could expect traffic either direction, and I was on official patrol at the time ...

    YMMV.
    The Lee-Man

    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

  22. #22
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Dude your Ben's down!!!! My goal is to crack the 20min mark going down, and you almost did it!

    I have not tried for a while with all the traffic. Might head up for a sundown ripper today.

    Strava Segment | Ben's trail down, to Phil's TH

    Were you on your hardtail that run?
    Hardtail - Banshee Viento 26 inch... It was a good run. Lot's of traffic though. My time could have been faster. And, I was polite to the uphill riders. Some of the riders out there are just being plain dumb. I.e. Riding with their head down and not looking ahead, In wide sections still expecting you to get off your bike to wait for them, etc.... LMAO
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    I dont think any of us our perfect... but there have been sometimes where I am on the climb thinking that a few guys will at least get out of the way and I have to go off trail so nobody gets hurt, I dont really think about it much.... I think we have all done it, when I do it, it is really an accident, I just dont see the person I try and smile or wave or something, or even say sorry haha.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    I dont think any of us our perfect... but there have been sometimes where I am on the climb thinking that a few guys will at least get out of the way and I have to go off trail so nobody gets hurt, I dont really think about it much.... I think we have all done it, when I do it, it is really an accident, I just dont see the person I try and smile or wave or something, or even say sorry haha.
    Exactly. PLENTY of times I have not seen someone till last min, but I always at least make an effort to slow down, smile, and very loudly say sorry have a nice day!

    The other day while I was climbing, I would slow to pretty much stopped, as the jackasses zoomed by. I did not pull over early either, waiting to see what they would do. I would have been totally fine if I would have got one thank you, smile, or have a nice day or something!

    Don't get me wrong, MOST of the time people are very nice.
    Bend, Oregon

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Hardtail - Banshee Viento 26 inch... It was a good run. Lot's of traffic though. My time could have been faster. And, I was polite to the uphill riders. Some of the riders out there are just being plain dumb. I.e. Riding with their head down and not looking ahead, In wide sections still expecting you to get off your bike to wait for them, etc.... LMAO
    I'm going to start mobbing the Hardtail more. Might look at a 29'er HT(oh god did I just say that!)

    My rear shock went flat yesterday, and I was SHOCK how much more I was standing and cranking without the frame-bob. SO much more power to the ground.
    Bend, Oregon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •